PEW Science Quiz

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2015, 10:56 PM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2015 11:01 PM by Free Thought.)
RE: PEW Science Quiz
10/12. Should have done better. I screwed up the sound and light magnification questions...

Also; I object to the question "Which of these terms is defined as the study of how the positions of stars and planets can influence human behavior?" being in a science quiz.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post
10-09-2015, 11:00 PM
Nice!
[Image: z1pN6AY.jpg]

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
10-09-2015, 11:00 PM
(10-09-2015 10:56 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Also; I object to this question "Which of these terms is defined as the study of how the positions of stars and planets can influence human behavior?" being in a science quiz.

Agreed!

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
11-09-2015, 12:17 AM
(10-09-2015 11:00 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(10-09-2015 10:56 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Also; I object to this question "Which of these terms is defined as the study of how the positions of stars and planets can influence human behavior?" being in a science quiz.

Agreed!
[Image: pfWqyZS.png]

I got the boiling water question wrong.
11-09-2015, 01:55 AM
What's with the trickiness of the boiling? I guess I've heard about that being stated for some random reason how the high altitude adjusts it, and even some instructions on food in Denver isn't accurate due to the different cooking.

I got 11, but got the what makes a soundwave question wrong.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
11-09-2015, 02:07 AM
(11-09-2015 01:55 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  What's with the trickiness of the boiling? I guess I've heard about that being stated for some random reason how the high altitude adjusts it, and even some instructions on food in Denver isn't accurate due to the different cooking.

I got 11, but got the what makes a soundwave question wrong.

I was kinda wondering why all the boiling issues too... But I didn't know how light passed through a magnifying lens or what determines sound volume, so it's not like I have a high position on it...

Water boils easier at higher altitudes due to the decreased atmospheric pressure.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
11-09-2015, 02:37 AM
I know I am going to fail this pretty badly.

OK! so here we are!

This was typed before I did the test

----------------------------------------------------------------

You scored better than 52% of the public, below 33% and the same as 15%.

huh....I got the water boiling one wrong. I answered higher. I actually didn't know altitude affected water like that, but I know it has something to do with cooking eggs so I guessed higher since I guess it like, takes longer or something.

I got the one about sound wrong, I kind of suspected I would since I do not know jack shit about sound. Although, my second guess was the correct answer, I first answered velocety.

I got the graph one wrong for some strange reason.

You answered "In recent years, the rate of cavities has increased in many countries"

The correct answer is "The more sugar people eat, the more likely they are to get cavities"

Both of those answers are correct though. I guess it was sort of a trick question.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
11-09-2015, 03:23 AM
(11-09-2015 02:37 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  I got the graph one wrong for some strange reason.

You answered "In recent years, the rate of cavities has increased in many countries"

The correct answer is "The more sugar people eat, the more likely they are to get cavities"

Both of those answers are correct though. I guess it was sort of a trick question.

The problem with the answer that the graph shows that 'In recent years, the rate of cavities has increased in many countries' is that the graph doesn't actually indicate an increase in cavity development rate in multiple countries, it doesn't even give us the number of countries surveyed, so the proposition cannot be justified by the graph.

What the graph does show is that across 'different countries', the average number of decayed teeth found per individual correlates with the average sugar consumption; note that data points showing low numbers of decayed teeth tend to be found close to relatively low sugar consumption markers, as sugar consumption increases, the numbers of decayed teeth found also increases.

11-09-2015, 06:00 AM
12/12 - better than 94%, same as 6%.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
11-09-2015, 06:10 AM
(11-09-2015 06:00 AM)Chas Wrote:  12/12 - better than 94%, same as 6%.

[+] 4 users Like Free Thought's post