PEW Science Quiz

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2015, 09:10 AM
RE: PEW Science Quiz
(11-09-2015 08:17 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Damn smart people. You and your knowing things.

Need another quiz to try an redeem myself...

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2011/12...atmosphere

46 of 50 here.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2015, 09:10 AM
(11-09-2015 08:51 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(11-09-2015 08:17 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Damn smart people. You and your knowing things.

Do this one lol it's a quiz that gives you a phrase, you have to choose if it's a heavy metal lyric or a bible verse.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lukelewis/heavy-...ffgVlB8aJB

These lyrics are as shitty as the bible verses.

Quite the accomplishment.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
11-09-2015, 09:17 AM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2015 09:35 AM by The Organic Chemist.)
12/12

Smartass

Edit:
The CSM one I did worse on.

45/50. I screwed up a couple that I haven't though of since college applied physics.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
11-09-2015, 09:27 AM
(11-09-2015 08:51 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  

Do this one lol it's a quiz that gives you a phrase, you have to choose if it's a heavy metal lyric or a bible verse.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lukelewis/heavy-...ffgVlB8aJB

14 of 16. Bible sure is gloom and doom.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
11-09-2015, 09:38 AM
(11-09-2015 06:27 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  The air is thinner in Denver. Because of the lower density of the surrounding air, it takes less energy to move the air dissolved in the water into the surrounding air. It's also why water will boil at room temperature in a vacuum.

Ummmm...........no. No

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
- Paul Dirac
11-09-2015, 09:41 AM
(11-09-2015 09:38 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(11-09-2015 06:27 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  The air is thinner in Denver. Because of the lower density of the surrounding air, it takes less energy to move the air dissolved in the water into the surrounding air. It's also why water will boil at room temperature in a vacuum.

Ummmm...........no. No

Am I wrong? I apologize for spreading incorrect information if that is so.

That is how it has been explained to me, so please do educate me if I have wrong info. Thumbsup

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
11-09-2015, 09:43 AM
(11-09-2015 09:41 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(11-09-2015 09:38 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Ummmm...........no. No

Am I wrong? I apologize for spreading incorrect information if that is so.

That is how it has been explained to me, so please do educate me if I have wrong info. Thumbsup

Ahh, I see my mistake. It's water vapor that is being transferred, not dissolved air. My bad. Facepalm

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
11-09-2015, 09:43 AM
(11-09-2015 09:38 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  

Ummmm...........no. No

[Image: lUIlU4l.gif]

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
11-09-2015, 11:42 AM
(11-09-2015 09:43 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(11-09-2015 09:41 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Am I wrong? I apologize for spreading incorrect information if that is so.

Ahh, I see my mistake. It's water vapor that is being transferred, not dissolved air. My bad. Facepalm

Yeah, that was one part of it. The act of going from a liquid to a gas is a phase change and this requires energy. The temperature that this occurs at basically depends on the pressure of the atmosphere and the vapor pressure of the liquid in question (although other colligative properties contribute). The energy required is called the enthalpy of vaporization. A simple way of thinking about this is if there are more particles of air (in the atmosphere) above a sample of water, it is harder to push a water molecule into it (i.e. more energy) because it has to push through more air. The less air, the less pushing it takes. This is of course a simple way to see it but it is the basic idea, there are more factors at play.

- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
11-09-2015, 11:44 AM
(11-09-2015 11:42 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(11-09-2015 09:43 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Ahh, I see my mistake. It's water vapor that is being transferred, not dissolved air. My bad. Facepalm

Yeah, that was one part of it. The act of going from a liquid to a gas is a phase change and this requires energy. The temperature that this occurs at basically depends on the pressure of the atmosphere and the vapor pressure of the liquid in question (although other colligative properties contribute). The energy required is called the enthalpy of vaporization. A simple way of thinking about this is if there are more particles of air (in the atmosphere) above a sample of water, it is harder to push a water molecule into it (i.e. more energy) because it has to push through more air. The less air, the less pushing it takes. This is of course a simple way to see it but it is the basic idea, there are more factors at play.

Bowing Bowing Bowing

Thank you. I hate being wrong, but I'd rather be corrected than ignorant.

[+] 3 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post