POLL: 63% Of Americans 'Absolutely Certain' God Exists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2016, 07:19 PM
RE: POLL: 63% Of Americans 'Absolutely Certain' God Exists
(06-12-2016 10:42 AM)pablo Wrote:  I'm surprised it's not higher.

Me too. If that number's correct religion is continuing on the steady decline.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2016, 10:03 PM
(06-12-2016 07:19 PM)ImFred Wrote:  
(06-12-2016 10:42 AM)pablo Wrote:  I'm surprised it's not higher.

Me too. If that number's correct religion is continuing on the steady decline.

Organized religion is on the decline. Many people will differentiate between belief in god and belief in a religion's version of god.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
06-12-2016, 10:31 PM
(06-12-2016 03:38 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(06-12-2016 03:28 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  50% of Americans can't say what celestial object the Earth revolves around.
Weeping

You mean what celestial object arcs across the flat Earth don’t you? Angel

http://www.livescience.com/24310-flat-earth-belief.html

I've seen where flat-earthers advertise that they have members all over the globe. Hobo
[+] 3 users Like Fireball's post
07-12-2016, 04:44 PM
(06-12-2016 06:02 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Where was the poll taken? How were the questions framed?

It's also good to remember that Americans lie about religion. They give "the expected answer" to avoid conflict, and to avoid thinking about the issue. When push comes to shove they're no more religion than I am.

Pew Religious Landscape surveys.

Yog Sothoth! Yog Sothoth! Come back old ones! Yog Sothoth!

Cheerful Charlie
07-12-2016, 04:50 PM
America has Trump as president.

Enough said.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
07-12-2016, 05:12 PM
(06-12-2016 06:02 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  It's also good to remember that Americans lie about religion. They give "the expected answer" to avoid conflict, and to avoid thinking about the issue.
Good point. This is a problem with virtually all opinion research that even the big polling firms haven't been able to resolve. My sociology professor back in university freely admitted that he cannot defend the accuracy of religious opinion polling because researchers can't accurately ascertain how many of the poll's respondents lied due to societal pressure or expectations. This phenomenon has been known in academia for quite some time (the proper term for it is "response bias"), but the experts in the field cannot even come to a consensus when it comes to its existence and impact, let alone effective measures against it. The framing of questions is another significant area of controversy because it's possible to get vastly different results just by wording a question poorly.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
07-12-2016, 07:00 PM
(07-12-2016 05:12 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(06-12-2016 06:02 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  It's also good to remember that Americans lie about religion. They give "the expected answer" to avoid conflict, and to avoid thinking about the issue.
Good point. This is a problem with virtually all opinion research that even the big polling firms haven't been able to resolve. My sociology professor back in university freely admitted that he cannot defend the accuracy of religious opinion polling because researchers can't accurately ascertain how many of the poll's respondents lied due to societal pressure or expectations. This phenomenon has been known in academia for quite some time (the proper term for it is "response bias"), but the experts in the field cannot even come to a consensus when it comes to its existence and impact, let alone effective measures against it. The framing of questions is another significant area of controversy because it's possible to get vastly different results just by wording a question poorly.
Lied.. or don't understand the titles.

There was a UK or England poll a few years ago about religious positions and also was asking why one chose an option.

A bunch of seemingly atheists said they were Christian because they thought of themselves as a good person... as if being a good person is the meaning and not something related to religious thought.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
08-12-2016, 10:58 AM
Absolutely certain....yet can't provide a single shread of real evidence. Interesting.
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post
08-12-2016, 11:55 AM
P.T. Barnum would have loved this place......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.