WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU? WEIRDO! 8.00% 2 8.00%
Total 25 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

POLL: Do you ever listen to one song on repeat

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2017, 09:40 PM
RE: POLL: Do you ever listen to one song on repeat
Reminds me of an observation I made. With popular music, we listen to the same music over and over again, each time a particular song comes on that we've heard before, we're hearing it again, and that familiarity makes the experience more meaningful and intense. Whereas with an art form like movies, the emphasis is upon the singular experience. With a movie, we are looking for novelty and difference. Popular music seems to concentrate on consonance with what you've listened to previously. It prospers from sameness. Movies prosper from difference.

I know they're radically different art forms, but it makes me wonder why music only in a backhand way is about novelty and difference, but it's main thrust is on an experience of sameness.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes big green mouth's post
28-05-2017, 09:49 PM
(28-05-2017 09:40 PM)big green mouth Wrote:  ...
With a movie, we are looking for novelty and difference. Popular music seems to concentrate on consonance with what you've listened to previously. It prospers from sameness. Movies prosper from difference.

I know they're radically different art forms, but it makes me wonder why music only in a backhand way is about novelty and difference, but it's main thrust is on an experience of sameness.

Are you sure about that?

You and I may be looking for difference but Hollywood seems to capitalise on repetition and a desire for familiarity.

Citation: movies based on comics with a hero archetype, Halloween 1 to nn, etc.

Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
28-05-2017, 10:14 PM

This is the only song I listen to on a loop, for 10 hours straight.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-05-2017, 10:28 PM
What's the point of music if you don't listen to a song on repeat? Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
28-05-2017, 10:59 PM
If a tune happens to hit me in a certain way for whatever reason, I'll repeat it up to two to three times, a couple times a day. I'll do that for a couple days and then forget about it.

Mostly because I'm binging on a different song. I'm always looking for something awesome, there's so much music out there and today's technology puts it all at your fingertips. It amazes me.

But yeah, if a song grabs me, I let it.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
28-05-2017, 11:51 PM
(28-05-2017 10:14 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  

This is the only song I listen to on a loop, for 10 hours straight.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
29-05-2017, 08:02 AM (This post was last modified: 29-05-2017 08:12 AM by jennybee.)
I have a few...

Lately I'm liking Ed Sheeran's Shape of You.

Maroon 5-Sugar

Elton John-Tiny Dancer

Jessie J-Crazy 'Bout You

As I mentioned on here many times, I crank up the music and dance around my house like a crazy person Tongue This song always puts me in a good mood: Black Eyed Peas- I Gotta Feeling

[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
29-05-2017, 08:58 AM (This post was last modified: 29-05-2017 09:06 AM by jennybee.)
Oh and I also listen to this song on occasion. It's really silly Blush but I used to listen to this song (my parents liked their easy listening favorites Laugh out load ) as a wee lil Jenny while playing with my Barbie and Ken dolls (all decked out in wedding attire, mind you Laugh out load ). I would play this song in the background as "their wedding song." This song always puts a smile on my face because of that Smile

[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
29-05-2017, 09:22 AM
I don't usually listen to songs on repeat unless I want to learn the lyrics. Music is my life and my 12 year old daughter asked me the other day how I know every lyric to every song that I have stored on my USB stick in my car (which is thousands). I grew up listening to all of them growing up and they just stuck.

Pink Floyd is always my go too but that's too easy.

So I'm learning the guitar parts of this song. Got the words down and most of the guitar.

My daughter also sings very well so I listen to her music also so we do this in the car all the time. Not my favorite my favorite song but I like this version better than the original as it's more acoustical which fits my style.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 1 user Likes RearViewMirror's post
29-05-2017, 12:41 PM
I listened to Peace Sells, by Megadeth, on repeat while washing the dishes the other day. Blush

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post