POW-MIA

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-07-2017, 07:16 PM
POW-MIA
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/POW-MIA

Apparently lots of people believe that Vietnam is still holding prisoners of war.

Question is, why would they?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-07-2017, 07:18 PM
RE: POW-MIA
Shit, wrong forum.

Could one of our esteemed members with great and terrible powers move this to the pseudoconspiracy page?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
25-07-2017, 07:35 PM
Done. Using my great and terrible powers. Cool

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
25-07-2017, 08:02 PM
(25-07-2017 07:16 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/POW-MIA

Apparently lots of people believe that Vietnam is still holding prisoners of war.

Question is, why would they?

Unrelenting spite, bottomless hate, vindictive vengeance? We changed a lot of of lives over there for the absolute worse.
I agree though, why still; if the case?

... and would it even be possible for a POW to still be alive after 4 decades of starvation and mis-treatment?

I don't see it.

You have to be odd to be #1.
25-07-2017, 08:10 PM
(25-07-2017 08:02 PM)BackSlider Wrote:  Unrelenting spite, bottomless hate, vindictive vengeance?

But if you are the widow or parent or child, and a loved one went missing...you could have sadness, frustration, desperate hope. In addition to the things you mention probably but it would not all have to be hateful.
25-07-2017, 08:12 PM
MIA can mean getting blown up beyond recognition. That has to have happened to a lot of guys. MIA can also mean that guys walked away from the fight. I served in the US Navy during that period ('72-'76) and have heard stories of guys going to live voluntarily in the north, who then came back to their units when the fighting was over, claiming they were released prisoners. I don't know if it is true, but I wouldn't be surprised. After all, we have seen present day defections to the enemy. If they still live(d) there and haven't been heard from since, they are still listed as MIA.
25-07-2017, 08:22 PM
(25-07-2017 07:16 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Question is, why would they?

The only possible reason, and one I don't believe, would be after having kept them for a handful of years, you then can't easily come back later and say, "hey, by the way, here's these guys! You're welcome!" Once relations between US and Vietnam thawed, they would be a huge embarrassment and in the interests of Vietnam would be better off just remain hidden away.
25-07-2017, 08:51 PM
(25-07-2017 08:12 PM)Fireball Wrote:  MIA can mean getting blown up beyond recognition.

In my purely second hand knowledge I've read a couple first hand accounts that describe something like that. Seems even more plausible in a jungle environment.

Not to derail the thread, but side story: Some of you might remember the red metal MIA/POW bracelets they made after the war. My mom got one and from (I guess) the mid-70s on she wore this bracelet, the idea being we haven't forgotten you, support the troops, etc. So maybe...?...12 years ago I do the research and turns out this guy was a pilot and his remains were found some time after the war. I forget the details but he crashed somewhere in the Mekong Delta south of Saigon, the site not being found for years, which makes perfect sense, you crash in the jungle, goodbye. Anyway it was weird because it was like closure for my mom to find out what actually happened, the bracelet names were given out randomly so my mom did not know this guy but wore that bracelet for decades.
[+] 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post
25-07-2017, 09:39 PM
One of my cousins got stuck on body collection detail in the US Army, in Viet Nam. He did the best he could to get pieces of soldiers together in some sort of logical collection. It is entirely possible that there weren't enough pieces to reasonably claim that someone's son was enough to even partially fill the bag. MIA. He fell in with a bunch of christards after he got out of the Army, and they laid so much guilt on him (he was obviously trying to work through what he had experienced, and surely this qualified as PTSD) that he ended up hanging himself. Dodgy
25-07-2017, 10:04 PM
(25-07-2017 09:39 PM)Fireball Wrote:  One of my cousins got stuck on body collection detail in the US Army, in Viet Nam. He did the best he could to get pieces of soldiers together in some sort of logical collection. It is entirely possible that there weren't enough pieces to reasonably claim that someone's son was enough to even partially fill the bag. MIA. He fell in with a bunch of christards after he got out of the Army, and they laid so much guilt on him (he was obviously trying to work through what he had experienced, and surely this qualified as PTSD) that he ended up hanging himself. Dodgy

That's awful.