POW-MIA

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-07-2017, 10:42 PM
RE: POW-MIA
(25-07-2017 08:12 PM)Fireball Wrote:  MIA can mean getting blown up beyond recognition. That has to have happened to a lot of guys. MIA can also mean that guys walked away from the fight. I served in the US Navy during that period ('72-'76) and have heard stories of guys going to live voluntarily in the north, who then came back to their units when the fighting was over, claiming they were released prisoners. I don't know if it is true, but I wouldn't be surprised. After all, we have seen present day defections to the enemy. If they still live(d) there and haven't been heard from since, they are still listed as MIA.

If they'd reported to their units as a returnee there would be records. Not buying that one. (I joined the USN in '69.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-07-2017, 10:44 PM
(25-07-2017 09:39 PM)Fireball Wrote:  One of my cousins got stuck on body collection detail in the US Army, in Viet Nam. He did the best he could to get pieces of soldiers together in some sort of logical collection. It is entirely possible that there weren't enough pieces to reasonably claim that someone's son was enough to even partially fill the bag. MIA. He fell in with a bunch of christards after he got out of the Army, and they laid so much guilt on him (he was obviously trying to work through what he had experienced, and surely this qualified as PTSD) that he ended up hanging himself. Dodgy

There a unit in Hawaii that does IDs on body parts. Don't know how much they need to work with.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-07-2017, 04:12 AM
(25-07-2017 08:10 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  
(25-07-2017 08:02 PM)BackSlider Wrote:  Unrelenting spite, bottomless hate, vindictive vengeance?

But if you are the widow or parent or child, and a loved one went missing...you could have sadness, frustration, desperate hope. In addition to the things you mention probably but it would not all have to be hateful.

Well I'd think working into 40 years of captivity would require a fair amount of hate. Depriving those POW families of the thing in which your grief is rooted in. (i.e. he's never coming back)

You have to be odd to be #1.
Find all posts by this user
26-07-2017, 07:09 AM
(25-07-2017 07:16 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/POW-MIA

Apparently lots of people believe that Vietnam is still holding prisoners of war.

Question is, why would they?

Because of that Chuck Norris documentary and it's subsequent follow ups.

On a more serious note, I agree. Why the hell would they still be holding a prisoner who would be in their mid to late 60's? Assuming they could have kept them alive this long in captivity, I don't see any motive to hold them.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
26-07-2017, 07:32 AM
(26-07-2017 04:12 AM)BackSlider Wrote:  
(25-07-2017 08:10 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  But if you are the widow or parent or child, and a loved one went missing...you could have sadness, frustration, desperate hope. In addition to the things you mention probably but it would not all have to be hateful.

Well I'd think working into 40 years of captivity would require a fair amount of hate. Depriving those POW families of the thing in which your grief is rooted in. (i.e. he's never coming back)

Yeah I don't disagree. Especially when you don't know what happened to the loved one and the imagination starts to kick in. And then a movie like The Deer Hunter comes out and then you imagine your loved one across the table from Christopher Walken being forced to play Russian Roulette (I believe there are as many as zero reported cases of POWs in Vietnam being forced to play RR).