POW right in the kisser. Morality on old TV

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-09-2013, 02:24 AM
POW right in the kisser. Morality on old TV
Watching old television shows one can see how societies meals have changed. The honeymooners show was a show where a guy would threaten to beat his wife up pretty much on every episode.

People laughed at this shit and this was a hit show (no pun intended Drinking Beverage )

Many examples can be made using minorities as well when it comes to how minorities were portrayed in old tv shows.

Have we progressed though? Now since the rise of feminism and progressivism men on sitcoms are all dumb, sex crazed buffoons that always get corrected by their smart wives. This portrayal of men if done to minorities or women is sexist and racist. Why are men portrayed now in that way and why is this seen as better than before?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-09-2013, 02:47 AM
Re: POW right in the kisser. Morality on old TV
All of them? Never noticed that happened to stretch so far.

If you look at most top shows, sitcoms of that style today. You don't have it more than not. Modern Family has it that's for sure, but top shows around many other channels don't have it.

Its noted as the Homer Simpsoning of male characters. I'll give you that it was a strong trend around the turn of the century when it seemed most shows copied that formula. Its been noted as weak and passed over as a universal show premise. So it took executives to go from one extreme to another to see both were fundamentally flawed.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
26-09-2013, 09:37 AM
RE: POW right in the kisser. Morality on old TV
(26-09-2013 02:24 AM)I and I Wrote:  Watching old television shows one can see how societies meals have changed. The honeymooners show was a show where a guy would threaten to beat his wife up pretty much on every episode.

People laughed at this shit and this was a hit show (no pun intended Drinking Beverage )

Many examples can be made using minorities as well when it comes to how minorities were portrayed in old tv shows.

Have we progressed though? Now since the rise of feminism and progressivism men on sitcoms are all dumb, sex crazed buffoons that always get corrected by their smart wives. This portrayal of men if done to minorities or women is sexist and racist. Why are men portrayed now in that way and why is this seen as better than before?

sitcoms are comedy...they are not reality. They create similar situations mixed with comedy to get you to watch advertising after...

and the honeymooners sucked then and now.
26-09-2013, 11:10 AM
Perhaps one shouldn't conflate or confuse portraits of particular, fictional characters on television (or other entertainment media) with reality. Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
26-09-2013, 05:09 PM
So a sitcom portraying racial stereotypes is ok as well simply because "hey it's just a sitcom"?
26-09-2013, 06:37 PM
Re: RE: POW right in the kisser. Morality on old TV
(26-09-2013 05:09 PM)I and I Wrote:  So a sitcom portraying racial stereotypes is ok as well simply because "hey it's just a sitcom"?

There's an issue with using stereotypes?

As low level as it may be, television is an art form... art likes to be a representation of it's present reality. Is the art the issue if it creates stereotypes?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
26-09-2013, 06:56 PM
(26-09-2013 02:24 AM)I and I Wrote:  Watching old television shows one can see how societies meals have changed.

[Image: swanson_TV_dinner.jpg] [Image: 130721hungry.jpg]

WWMWAZSKDTVQHTMJD?
26-09-2013, 07:10 PM
Why not just post the only acceptable answer with your stupid question now? We all know you're not really asking a question, just setting some sort of a trap so you can call someone some names, and use the word "cock" when they say something you don't agree with, I^2.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating Yogi, CAAT-LY.
Living daily with the high tragedy of being #2 on Laramie Hirsch's ignore list.
26-09-2013, 07:34 PM
(26-09-2013 02:24 AM)I and I Wrote:  Watching old television shows one can see how societies meals have changed. The honeymooners show was a show where a guy would threaten to beat his wife up pretty much on every episode.

'Cause it's the way it is and the way it should be. The Matriarchy is here to stay. Many men just ain't ready to accept it yet. Tongue

This is not my signature.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
27-09-2013, 04:18 AM
(26-09-2013 07:10 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Why not just post the only acceptable answer with your stupid question now? We all know you're not really asking a question, just setting some sort of a trap so you can call someone some names, and use the word "cock" when they say something you don't agree with, I^2.

Like Young Jeezy, I am a Trap Star.

Drinking Beverage