PROP 8 DEEMED UNCONSTITUTIONAL!!!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2012, 01:35 PM
PROP 8 DEEMED UNCONSTITUTIONAL!!!!
Fucking duh I know. But this is a great day for equal rights.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/08/us/mar...ml?_r=1&hp

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like germanyt's post
07-02-2012, 07:52 PM
RE: PROP 8 DEEMED UNCONSTITUTIONAL!!!!
(07-02-2012 01:35 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Fucking duh I know. But this is a great day for equal rights.

It's just another step, a good step, in the process.

This will go to the SC - and it probably should. I can't for the life of me see how, from a legal/constitutional framework it could be allowed to stand. The appellate court made the right call...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Seasbury's post
08-02-2012, 09:19 AM
(07-02-2012 07:52 PM)Seasbury Wrote:  
(07-02-2012 01:35 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Fucking duh I know. But this is a great day for equal rights.

It's just another step, a good step, in the process.

This will go to the SC - and it probably should. I can't for the life of me see how, from a legal/constitutional framework it could be allowed to stand. The appellate court made the right call...

I don't think the SC is going to hear this case. The issue here isn't the right to gay marriage. It's whether or not it was constitutional to pass Prop 8. Since Cali had already granted the right to gay marriage they needed justifiable reason to take that right away. Prop 8 took that right away and has been deemed unconstitutional. This case was about removal of rights from a specific group of people for no apparent reason, not about gay marriage.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
08-02-2012, 09:53 AM
There was never a legitimate reason to disallow gay marriage. Or any kind of marriage. All this nonsense about some states allowing it and some not needs to be addressed at federal level - after all, people's marital/ familial status affects their dealings with all levels of government.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
08-02-2012, 10:09 AM
(08-02-2012 09:53 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  There was never a legitimate reason to disallow gay marriage. Or any kind of marriage. All this nonsense about some states allowing it and some not needs to be addressed at federal level - after all, people's marital/ familial status affects their dealings with all levels of government.

The Constitution passes this issue down to the states. The federal government cannot pass any law the the Constitution doesn't give them permission to pass. If states would follow the Constitution there wouldn't be any of them that didn't allow gay marriage. They would be actively protecting the rights of the minority from the bigotry and tyrrany of the majority.

-Mark Twain