PSA: Don't launch fireworks off your head

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-07-2015, 07:31 PM
PSA: Don't launch fireworks off your head
I'm going to go ahead and file this under "Sometimes you have to thin the herd."

Man Dies Attempting to Shoot Fireworks from Top of Head

Facepalm

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
05-07-2015, 07:36 PM
RE: PSA: Don't launch fireworks off your head
(05-07-2015 07:31 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  I'm going to go ahead and file this under "Sometimes you have to thin the herd."

Facepalm

Yep - there was drinking involved - whoda thunk it? Facepalm

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
05-07-2015, 07:46 PM
(05-07-2015 07:36 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(05-07-2015 07:31 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  I'm going to go ahead and file this under "Sometimes you have to thin the herd."

Facepalm

Yep - there was drinking involved - whoda thunk it? Facepalm

Yeah...it's depressingly American that we celebrate the birth of our nation by getting drunk and playing with explosives. Weeping

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
05-07-2015, 07:58 PM
*mind -- blown*
[+] 8 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
05-07-2015, 08:20 PM
I'd say the stupid burns but....

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
05-07-2015, 08:35 PM
A few sites seem to say it genuinely was an accident, and that he put it on his head but didn't actually intentionally light the thing. I don't know if that's true, but if it is I feel so bad for the guy and his family; losing someone's bad enough, I can't imagine losing someone and then having everyone twist it so it was because he was stupid. Sure, that'd still not be the smartest thing to do, but I would say it's considerably less stupid than actually trying to set it off on your head.

Random, irrelevant fact: apparently this guy was Gaston at Disney World for a while, and possibly the one in this video;

...no one dies like Gaston...

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
05-07-2015, 10:26 PM
Not that I condone the stunt but it sounds like the mortar charge was inserted inverted, easy to do if drunk, so that the lift charge was on top. That turns the firework into a literal bomb. Had the charge been inserted correctly it may have given the guy a headache when set off, but it wouldn't have exploded. One firework show I crewed on a barge had a three inch charge put in inverted that wasn't spotted during the final safety check, and when it went off it destroyed the entire 6 tube mortar rack and put the fuse lighter in the hospital with the remains of the mortal rack shrapnelled into his leg (one more reason electronically fired shows are replacing hand fired shows).

So, yes it was stupid, but in the context of being drunk not any more stupid than many stupid stunts undertaken by people who forget their sober understanding of something is not the same as their drunk understanding of it.
06-07-2015, 02:04 AM
(05-07-2015 10:26 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  So, yes it was stupid, but in the context of being drunk not any more stupid than many stupid stunts undertaken by people who forget their sober understanding of something is not the same as their drunk understanding of it.

That's a good point. A lot of people do stupid shit drunk and sober and get away with it and the difference between them and a Darwin Award nominee could just be a little bit of bad luck at exactly the wrong time.

But still, putting explosives on your head is kind of like pointing a gun at your face; once you've put yourself in that scenario it doesn't take very much bad luck at all for things to go horribly wrong. No

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 2 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
06-07-2015, 04:33 AM
Of course you KNOW his last words ---

"Here - hold my beer, eh?"

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
09-07-2015, 07:52 AM
OK...don't light fireworks off of your chest either people. No

Our bodies are squishy and react poorly to things that go boom.

-Rowan Atkinson