PTSD

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2013, 03:51 PM
PTSD
It's interfering with my personal life at the moment.

I'd gone through a heckuva lot with my family. Now it's gotten to the point where if anything triggers past emotions, I'm like a bat out of hell.

Anyone have this experience with PTSD? If so, how do you get through it?

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2013, 04:07 PM
RE: PTSD
Sad Sorry... Don't got no experience... but Hug
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
28-07-2013, 04:22 PM
Hug

I got no experience dealing with this properly. It doesn't make sense and it doesn't help and the best I can do is try to seek out those who have this.

That and hiding. [Image: 8458150742_27511e49d6_z.jpg]

28-07-2013, 04:22 PM (This post was last modified: 28-07-2013 04:26 PM by bemore.)
I hope something here may help you out. Heart

(I was thinking more halfway down the link, the resources at the top are worksheets)

http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/freedownloads2.htm

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
28-07-2013, 04:24 PM
It would be best to seek treatment.

Let me clarify - you are talking about PTSD related to your family?

If so, there are things you can do to control it...

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
28-07-2013, 04:25 PM
in 2007 I had some major PTSD after a series of horrible events in my life. I was an anxious mess, and I was always anticipating something would go wrong all the time. I would flinch at honking horns, sirens or even the telephone ringing, thinking I'd get bad news. I was a constant state of stress and panic. I finally sought out help through a talk therapist. He was awesome, and he changed my life. To this day I use skills he's given me and I try to live them. Through intense talk/hypno therapy I learned to relax, to asses problems better and recognize choices and to be able to let things out of my control go. I learned how to calm myself down and take things moment by moment.

Basically there are skills that need to be acquired and practiced, I would recommend seeing a professional about it much like someone would for a bad knee or pinched back. PTSD is something that needs to be worked through so that instead of it controlling the mind the mind can control it. I don't know the severity, a doctor would be able to best assess that. I didn't need any medication in the beginning to help me, but some people do (and then they are weened as they gain skills).

To add, some therapists think it's good to talk through past traumatizing events and some don't. Mine doesn't think thats helpful, and although the event should be acknowledged and empathized with he believed in solution focused counselling and I loved it! The way we think really creates the environment for our mind, and that's important to health.

Hope that helps! Also, mine was covered through health care in Alberta, if that's a factor that encourages.
[+] 3 users Like LadyJane's post
28-07-2013, 04:35 PM
(28-07-2013 04:22 PM)bemore Wrote:  I hope something here may help you out. Heart

(I was thinking more halfway down the link, the resources at the top are worksheets)

HA! I was thinking of trying that. I think though I would need a therapist (good fucking luck, it's insane trying to get one where I am) who is qualified for helping with PTSD.

(28-07-2013 04:24 PM)Dom Wrote:  It would be best to seek treatment.

I'll try my best to reply to that: abuse from family now has me acting wonky to those who aren't my family.

What ways? Currently it's fight then flight. And the fight in me lasts longer now and is more intense.

Seen here a depiction of my shit, in the form of three Hermit Crabs. I'm the one in the middle.
[Image: hermit-crab-o.gif]

28-07-2013, 04:40 PM
(28-07-2013 04:25 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  in 2007 I had some major PTSD after a series of horrible events in my life. I was an anxious mess, and I was always anticipating something would go wrong all the time. I would flinch at honking horns, sirens or even the telephone ringing, thinking I'd get bad news. I was a constant state of stress and panic. I finally sought out help through a talk therapist. He was awesome, and he changed my life. To this day I use skills he's given me and I try to live them. Through intense talk/hypno therapy I learned to relax, to asses problems better and recognize choices and to be able to let things out of my control go. I learned how to calm myself down and take things moment by moment.

Basically there are skills that need to be acquired and practiced, I would recommend seeing a professional about it much like someone would for a bad knee or pinched back. PTSD is something that needs to be worked through so that instead of it controlling the mind the mind can control it. I don't know the severity, a doctor would be able to best assess that. I didn't need any medication in the beginning to help me, but some people do (and then they are weened as they gain skills).

To add, some therapists think it's good to talk through past traumatizing events and some don't. Mine doesn't think thats helpful, and although the event should be acknowledged and empathized with he believed in solution focused counselling and I loved it! The way we think really creates the environment for our mind, and that's important to health.

Hope that helps! Also, mine was covered through health care in Alberta, if that's a factor that encourages.

I'm sick and tired of talking about my shit to professionals. I would want one who's like yours. I'd have to check out if there are some loops fromm which I could get one covered.

28-07-2013, 04:47 PM
(28-07-2013 03:51 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  It's interfering with my personal life at the moment.

I'd gone through a heckuva lot with my family. Now it's gotten to the point where if anything triggers past emotions, I'm like a bat out of hell.

Anyone have this experience with PTSD? If so, how do you get through it?

Yes. Careful reminders that I'm not really in 'danger', deep breathing to calm down (in through the nose). Trying to understand which triggers are the worst snd trying to avoid those situations or not go into them without support.

For me it's like stepping on a land mine -- I don't see it coming. But I learn each time.

The nightmares are the worst. Sometimes I'll end up with a sort of sleep paralysis (frozen by fear though) and I can't do anything -- including wake up right away.

It never ends.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
28-07-2013, 04:55 PM
(28-07-2013 04:35 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(28-07-2013 04:22 PM)bemore Wrote:  I hope something here may help you out. Heart

HA! I was thinking of trying that. I think though I would need a therapist (good fucking luck, it's insane trying to get one where I am) who is qualified for helping with PTSD.

(28-07-2013 04:24 PM)Dom Wrote:  It would be best to seek treatment.

I'll try my best to reply to that: abuse from family now has me acting wonky to those who aren't my family.

What ways? Currently it's fight then flight. And the fight in me lasts longer now and is more intense.

Seen here a depiction of my shit, in the form of three Hermit Crabs. I'm the one in the middle.
[Image: hermit-crab-o.gif]

Yes...it can be quite intense and even irrational because deep down it feels stupid. That's the way I felt just recently.

Therapy will hopefully be very helpful -- relearning coping skills I thought I no longer needed.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post