PTSD

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2018, 01:21 PM
RE: PTSD
I have no advice to offer you, but it looks like others already have.

Hug
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2018, 02:31 PM
Wow, LadyJane, I'm sorry you've had to endure that. Hug I'm really happy for you that you're in a much better situation today!

I know EMDR is used to treat PTSD, and I am seeing a therapist currently that does EMDR. We've had several sessions mostly related to, believe it or not, an old house we lived in when I was a child. The place is the source of many nightmares I have, and had caused me a lot of mental distress to think about for years. The EMDR has really helped with that, so far.

However, I've not talked with anyone else that's done it before, so I wasn't sure if it was just me buying into it and convincing myself it works, or if it's really helped. Amazingly, it has significantly lessened the distress I feel when I think about that old log cabin. I didn't "remember" a bunch of new things about it, or anything, but it did help me to feel less disturbed by thinking about it. Which is the ultimately goal. I was honestly a little bit afraid that the therapy would be some kind of quackery like the thing with uncovering repressed childhood memories that turned out to be very controversial.

I've liked the results so far. But, as my therapist explains, there are big-"T" traumas and little-"T" traumas. I tend to think of what I'm treated as a little-"T" trauma. Whereas a war vet or sexual assault survivor might have experienced big-"T" traumas. And it sounds like your experience is a big-"T", also, I'd assume. Anyway, it's reassuring to hear others' speak about it with positive thoughts, too. And I'm very glad that you have the support you need and the access to treatment to help you.

If you ever need someone to write to and talk about things with, feel free to PM me.
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
26-02-2018, 04:18 PM
Hug

Allowing yourself to trust again will be a road without shortcuts LJ. One day at a time.

I wish you nothing but happiness.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
26-02-2018, 04:52 PM
After reading all that, my assessment of you as the most awesome Lady in the world, hasn't changed any! Heart Hug

26-02-2018, 05:33 PM
My sympathies I too have PTSD the flashbacks are the worst and they always come with the crippling anxiety, without meds I cannot function. Have a hug from one who knows. Hug
26-02-2018, 06:03 PM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2018 06:18 PM by Kaneda.)
I’m really sorry to hear about this ordeal you’ve been struggling with, LJ. You seem like a very sweet person, and not at all deserving of this betrayal that you’ve been dealt.

Like others said, the hypervigilance you’re going through sounds normal for someone in your circumstances. I’ve personally been stabbed in the back a few times in my formative years. Though it may not have been as extreme, it played no small part in turning me into paranoid, disillusioned young adult. It’s taken years more to learn to trust people and develop a healthy level of weariness around others; I’m still somewhat wrestling with this even to this day.

So hell yes, these things take time to heal from. I’m glad to hear you’re in the company of some good, caring people, for what it’s worth, and that they’re all in to help see you through this. Stay good to your loved ones Lady, and keep taking care of yourself as you soldier ahead. We’re all rooting for you!
[+] 1 user Likes Kaneda's post
01-03-2018, 08:40 AM
Heart Hug

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.