PTSD and Memory Loss/Solipsism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-11-2012, 12:00 AM
So I am really on the verge of freaking out...I think this is being caused by my PTSD, but I don't know for sure. Today, a few times I have just been getting feelings of...solipsism, like everything around me isn't real, like a moment of clarity, though a bit unsettling. That is the best I can explain it. What's scarier, is I believe I have also had memory loss today...just little chunks here and there. Can someone who knows more about this disorder than me tell me if this is common, or even possible. What I am describing....I think I might finally being going crazy. If this isn't PTSD I think they'll want to give me a lobotomy, it it is I need back on my meds...For the record I did not have a TBI.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2012, 12:16 AM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2012 06:47 AM by DLJ.)
RE: PTSD and Memory Loss/Solipsism
Solipsism: The view or theory that the "self" is all that this can be known to exist.
So I guess you only need one reply to realise that can not be true.

Unless you think that this reply is just created in your imagination.

I get memory loss most Saturday mornings. It is merely the result of an average to good Friday night.

More seriously, why would you think this is anything other than normal? If it becomes a permanent condition... well, ok... then it's time to seek help but isn't it just part of the human condition?

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
10-11-2012, 01:53 AM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2012 01:57 AM by Noelani.)
Dark Light, I can't really comment on the solipsism. While I have not been diagnosed with PTSD I think I have some form/symptoms of it. After going through several traumatic experiences and events over 4 years ago I have begun (within the last 2-3 years) to realize that I can recall memories before these event better than I can recall yesterday or even big or small events that have happened within the last 4 years. I use the term 'better' loosely as my long term memories seem to also be affected. But I cannot tell if it's just the passage of time or not. In any case, it really freaks me the fuck out. I'm not sure if it is 1.) because I miss my life before these events/happenings and so I am more likely to think back to the good times. 2.) because I am preoccupied on some neurological level that things in my life will never be the same/ in mourning and thus am not as capable to lay down new memories... I'm not sure if there are any meds that can help reduce cortisol levels or ways to help strengthen the hippocampus. I have heard that getting just 30 min of aerobic exercise for 3 months you will start to see improvement in brain/hippocampus (responsible for short and long term memories) function.
I haven't been to a therapist in a while, but I was seeing one about a year ago and we tried hypnosis. It was only once so I'm not sure about it's effectiveness but I did feel very relaxed afterwards. Being relaxed or in a meditative state is supposed to also help.
I hate living like this, like a ghost. The only positive thing to come out of all of this is it was the beginning of the unraveling of my faith. It was when I started seeking god and asking questions. And wouldn't you know it, the bastard was no where around to help. I guess now I know how the canaanites felt.

I hope that you start to feel more present in your life. If you find something that works don't forget to come back and fill me in Smile
10-11-2012, 05:59 AM
Daily life. right here.

Yeah it sucks and it's a bit irritating but you'll learn to not care eventually.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 1 user Likes Hamata k's post
10-11-2012, 02:30 PM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2012 02:35 PM by GirlyMan.)
(10-11-2012 12:16 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Solipsism: The view or theory that the "self" is all that this can be known to exist.
So I guess you only need one reply to realise that can not be true.

Nope, 'cause even Descartes' Cogito Ergo Sum fails to satisfactorily prove even one's own existence. I ain't even sure of me so I got no reason to ponder you just yet.

(10-11-2012 05:59 AM)Hamata k Wrote:  Daily life. right here.

Yeah it sucks and it's a bit irritating but you'll learn to not care eventually.

Yup, I play the game despite my doubts 'cause it's the only game in town (well that's not quite right strictly speaking, HoC, for example, has decided to make his own game, as has msbiljanica). And I play it well. Think realizing it's just some bullshit game helps with that.

Think you're gonna be all right, Dark Light. That ain't PTSD you describe, that is clarity. Thumbsup
... Consider
Well except for the memory loss. Did they use Seroquel to treat your PTSD? I use Seroquel for sleep, Manly's got some funny as shit videos of me on Seroquel that I have no memory of.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
10-11-2012, 02:39 PM
What really scared the shit out of me and caused me to post this thread is the memory gaps...doing something without any memory of doing it within a 15 minute time period. It may be nothing though, as I have stated multiple times, I am very paranoid of everything. I'm always convinced I am being betrayed by my brain, and pretty much everything and everyone else as well. I still fear that someone will piece together all the information I have provided on the forums to figure out my identity...I'm a nutcase.

10-11-2012, 02:42 PM
Ugh. Truly dreadful answers. I think you may be experiencing something known as dissociation or depersonalization. This can make you feel as if you are a "participant" in your life as opposed to controlling. You can feel outside of yourself. To dissociate is to lose track of time and lose a sense of self. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociat...sychology)
I would certainly talk to a professional who can work with you but I'd try in the meantime not to stress too much about it. Thoughts or lack thereof cannot harm you.
10-11-2012, 02:45 PM
Memory loss is common during a period of dissociation. Dissociation is one of the key symptoms of PTSD.
[+] 1 user Likes jmiah's post
10-11-2012, 03:07 PM
I have a friend that suffered this kind of "black outs", she had memory gaps quite frequently. She was finishing her PhD thesis by that time, so it could be just stress, in any case, you should see a professional, better safe than sorry Wink

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
10-11-2012, 03:21 PM
(10-11-2012 02:42 PM)jmiah Wrote:  I think you may be experiencing something known as dissociation or depersonalization. This can make you feel as if you are a "participant" in your life as opposed to controlling. You can feel outside of yourself. To dissociate is to lose track of time and lose a sense of self.

You say that like it's a bad thing. That is not consistent with my experience.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post