PTSD and Memory Loss/Solipsism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-11-2012, 03:39 PM
(10-11-2012 03:21 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(10-11-2012 02:42 PM)jmiah Wrote:  I think you may be experiencing something known as dissociation or depersonalization. This can make you feel as if you are a "participant" in your life as opposed to controlling. You can feel outside of yourself. To dissociate is to lose track of time and lose a sense of self.

You say that like it's a bad thing. That is not consistent with my experience.

No, I wouldn't qualify it as bad but he asked the question under the auspices that it was not something he was comfortable with.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jmiah's post
10-11-2012, 03:51 PM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2012 03:56 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: PTSD and Memory Loss/Solipsism
(10-11-2012 03:39 PM)jmiah Wrote:  
(10-11-2012 03:21 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You say that like it's a bad thing. That is not consistent with my experience.

No, I wouldn't qualify it as bad but he asked the question under the auspices that it was not something he was comfortable with.

I'm not a mental health professional like you, but I have lived through this. Based on my experience, it is unsettling at first, but then it becomes illuminating, informative and liberating. And now I got the advantage in playing the game. Precisely because I can play this bullshit game dispassionately without giving a shit.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
10-11-2012, 04:26 PM
(10-11-2012 03:51 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(10-11-2012 03:39 PM)jmiah Wrote:  No, I wouldn't qualify it as bad but he asked the question under the auspices that it was not something he was comfortable with.

I'm not a mental health professional like you, but I have lived through this. Based on my experience, it is unsettling at first, but then it becomes illuminating, informative and liberating. And now I got the advantage in playing the game. Precisely because I can play this bullshit game dispassionately without giving a shit.

I'd say that is the perfect example of coping/growing.
10-11-2012, 04:46 PM
Thanks jmiah, I will bring this up to the doc next time I'm in to see him. It is at least a little bit helpful to know that I am not the only one that experiences it. I consider my PTSD to be more on the mild side than others who I have known, so I'm not sure that it is C-PTSD. I would think C-PTSD would be for those who have had more severe cases. So far I have only experienced

Fear/Panic from not having my rifle with me in public
Intense Nightmare/Sleeplessness
Bouts of anger
Paranoia/Irrational fear of stepping on an IED in the states

Some folks I know have had complete breakdowns and an inability to even go out in public.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
10-11-2012, 04:48 PM
(10-11-2012 04:46 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Thanks jmiah, I will bring this up to the doc next time I'm in to see him. It is at least a little bit helpful to know that I am not the only one that experiences it. I consider my PTSD to be more on the mild side than others who I have known, so I'm not sure that it is C-PTSD. I would think C-PTSD would be for those who have had more severe cases. So far I have only experienced

Fear/Panic from not having my rifle with me in public
Intense Nightmare/Sleeplessness
Bouts of anger
Paranoia/Irrational fear of stepping on an IED in the states

Some folks I know have had complete breakdowns and an inability to even go out in public.

Don't know if it helps but I'm also a combat vet...it'll get better. I now work with other soldiers professionally for the Army. Hang in there.
10-11-2012, 05:36 PM
(10-11-2012 04:26 PM)jmiah Wrote:  
(10-11-2012 03:51 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I'm not a mental health professional like you, but I have lived through this. Based on my experience, it is unsettling at first, but then it becomes illuminating, informative and liberating. And now I got the advantage in playing the game. Precisely because I can play this bullshit game dispassionately without giving a shit.

I'd say that is the perfect example of coping/growing.

I call it exploiting. ... But it's all good. Thumbsup

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
15-11-2012, 03:05 AM
I was diagnosed with PTSD a bunch of years ago. Growing up was a harsh experience and my childhood outside of my family life was seriously fucked up. I am not sure if I have any memory loss, but it would make sense if you take certain things into account that I am unwilling to make public.
[+] 1 user Likes Birdguy1979's post
23-01-2013, 07:01 AM
What triggers your panic attacks? I have PTSD too but it only gets worse when there's a stressful event in my life.
The 'solipsism' moments sound like panic attacks to me.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Benjamin Franklin
24-01-2013, 05:15 PM
(23-01-2013 07:01 AM)Chaosss Wrote:  What triggers your panic attacks? I have PTSD too but it only gets worse when there's a stressful event in my life.
The 'solipsism' moments sound like panic attacks to me.
Well, I haven't had that experience any more...not since I posted this some time ago. I can't remember what was going on that day. It don't think it was a panic attack though...The first time I saw someone die I had a panic attack, this was nothing like that. When that happened I hyperventilated...nearly fainted from erratic breathing before I calmed down.