PTSD

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2013, 05:55 PM
RE: PTSD
(28-07-2013 05:44 PM)Anjele Wrote:  [Image: break_zps72ac46bd.jpg]

Some days I wish I could break on that leather seat! *looks at scratchy carpet chair over in corner of apartment* ... Someday.

Hug

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
28-07-2013, 06:00 PM
(28-07-2013 05:53 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(28-07-2013 05:35 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Opening up about what happened to you -- in a safe way can be soooo beneficial. It really helped me to say what happened (a small part of it) but it also allowed me to Frame it. If you think the person who triggered you would be empathetic to your feelings and they truly care about you -- they would really want to know.

I spent a couple weeks just yelling and snapping at everyone - it's taken me weeks to just feel that I can move forward.

Safe timing being key. After the dust has settled. I thought earlier I could sort of, and well, it blew up in my face and I had to drop everything as I didn't want to go through that shit all over again. Weeks, eh? Well buckle up buckaroos! I think this thread is gonna see more of me. Dodgy

(28-07-2013 05:37 PM)Dom Wrote:  You could apologize in a general way and say you will be working on your anger. You don't need to give details, it's your issue, regardless of who pulled the trigger. You reacted to it the way you did. It's your responsibility to fix it.

Now you need to make sure that you think about that trigger daily, so it ends up tops in your brain. Not to analyse it or anything, more like a rote remembering. xxx is the trigger. That's all you need to do. xxx is the trigger. Burn it into your brain. Again and again. Repetition, mindless repetition. xxx is the trigger. If you live alone, put some stickers around the place. xxx is the trigger.

If you are correct and it really is the trigger, and you do put it in front of your mind daily for a while, you will be in control when it happens again. Just like that. Your brain will pop up and take control.

Yeah, I gotta fix it. I think the dust has settled, in this instance. Thinking of the trigger is probably gonna be the hardest part as I analyze things to death, as OCD is wont to do.

I don't like coming out on message boards but I still do. A lot of people get the wrong impression of my character before this stuff gets posted and quite frankly I'd rather it stay the way it was. I'm not always the joker. I'm not always the one who tries to stay neutral. I'm just like everyone else; mild quirks to outrageous jerks and the stuff in between is what I strive for.

More Hug

If you ever want or need to talk. Please please please if you don't feel safe to talk about here ... Pm me!

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
28-07-2013, 06:09 PM
(28-07-2013 05:53 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(28-07-2013 05:35 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Opening up about what happened to you -- in a safe way can be soooo beneficial. It really helped me to say what happened (a small part of it) but it also allowed me to Frame it. If you think the person who triggered you would be empathetic to your feelings and they truly care about you -- they would really want to know.

I spent a couple weeks just yelling and snapping at everyone - it's taken me weeks to just feel that I can move forward.

Safe timing being key. After the dust has settled. I thought earlier I could sort of, and well, it blew up in my face and I had to drop everything as I didn't want to go through that shit all over again. Weeks, eh? Well buckle up buckaroos! I think this thread is gonna see more of me. Dodgy

(28-07-2013 05:37 PM)Dom Wrote:  You could apologize in a general way and say you will be working on your anger. You don't need to give details, it's your issue, regardless of who pulled the trigger. You reacted to it the way you did. It's your responsibility to fix it.

Now you need to make sure that you think about that trigger daily, so it ends up tops in your brain. Not to analyse it or anything, more like a rote remembering. xxx is the trigger. That's all you need to do. xxx is the trigger. Burn it into your brain. Again and again. Repetition, mindless repetition. xxx is the trigger. If you live alone, put some stickers around the place. xxx is the trigger.

If you are correct and it really is the trigger, and you do put it in front of your mind daily for a while, you will be in control when it happens again. Just like that. Your brain will pop up and take control.

Yeah, I gotta fix it. I think the dust has settled, in this instance. Thinking of the trigger is probably gonna be the hardest part as I analyze things to death, as OCD is wont to do.

I don't like coming out on message boards but I still do. A lot of people get the wrong impression of my character before this stuff gets posted and quite frankly I'd rather it stay the way it was. I'm not always the joker. I'm not always the one who tries to stay neutral. I'm just like everyone else; mild quirks to outrageous jerks and the stuff in between is what I strive for.

Don't analyze, just memorize. The who and what and where is totally irrelevant to controlling it. If you want to pluck it apart, do go to a doc.

If you just want a fix, memorize. Make it a reflex xxx= trigger. So when xxx happens again, your brain will scream: "trigger" and you win. Just like one would scream: "snake" or "fire". Your rational brain will go into alert state and the issue will be avoided. It's your mantra now - xxx is the trigger.

Probably there are more than one trigger though. You'll find out.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
28-07-2013, 06:29 PM
(28-07-2013 06:09 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(28-07-2013 05:53 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Safe timing being key. After the dust has settled. I thought earlier I could sort of, and well, it blew up in my face and I had to drop everything as I didn't want to go through that shit all over again. Weeks, eh? Well buckle up buckaroos! I think this thread is gonna see more of me. Dodgy

Don't analyze, just memorize. The who and what and where is totally irrelevant to controlling it. If you want to pluck it apart, do go to a doc.

If you just want a fix, memorize. Make it a reflex xxx= trigger. So when xxx happens again, your brain will scream: "trigger" and you win. Just like one would scream: "snake" or "fire". Your rational brain will go into alert state and the issue will be avoided. It's your mantra now - xxx is the trigger.

Yes and they change too! That's the most frustrating part -- you've got them figured out (more or less) and life goes on -- then boom another land mine pops up.

Learning what works for you and trial and error so you can apply it -- but I'll admit it only worked after I calmed down.

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
28-07-2013, 07:05 PM
(28-07-2013 03:51 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  It's interfering with my personal life at the moment.

I'd gone through a heckuva lot with my family. Now it's gotten to the point where if anything triggers past emotions, I'm like a bat out of hell.

Anyone have this experience with PTSD? If so, how do you get through it?

Well...as for me, I just try to avoid anything that makes me feel the way I do. I don't get like a bat out of hell though. I get knots in my stomach, very on edge and uh...a little illogically paranoid/fearful. I generally avoid talking about it, media, etc. though over time I feel less uncomfortable. I take it in small doses. I sometimes force myself to deal with it if it isn't overbearing. I used to take meds for it, but they tended to make me feel very violent and angry. I couldn't control my anger on the pills so I just quit taking them. I tried to go to therapy, but I couldn't bring myself to to keep my appointments. The fist time I saw a therapist I cried, which was extremely surprising to me. I had never talked about it before, and didn't think I'd react so strongly. He recommended group therapy, but I had to much fear and guilt to attend. Sorry, my way of dealing with it probably isn't the way the experts would advise to do it. For me at least I think the scars will never completely fade away, but I can already see them fading a bit.

It is like reaching absolute zero, or traveling the speed of light. You can get closer and closer to doing it, but you can never quite get there.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
28-07-2013, 08:51 PM
(28-07-2013 07:05 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(28-07-2013 03:51 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  It's interfering with my personal life at the moment.

I'd gone through a heckuva lot with my family. Now it's gotten to the point where if anything triggers past emotions, I'm like a bat out of hell.

Anyone have this experience with PTSD? If so, how do you get through it?

Well...as for me, I just try to avoid anything that makes me feel the way I do. I don't get like a bat out of hell though. I get knots in my stomach, very on edge and uh...a little illogically paranoid/fearful. I generally avoid talking about it, media, etc. though over time I feel less uncomfortable. I take it in small doses. I sometimes force myself to deal with it if it isn't overbearing. I used to take meds for it, but they tended to make me feel very violent and angry. I couldn't control my anger on the pills so I just quit taking them. I tried to go to therapy, but I couldn't bring myself to to keep my appointments. The fist time I saw a therapist I cried, which was extremely surprising to me. I had never talked about it before, and didn't think I'd react so strongly. He recommended group therapy, but I had to much fear and guilt to attend. Sorry, my way of dealing with it probably isn't the way the experts would advise to do it. For me at least I think the scars will never completely fade away, but I can already see them fading a bit.

It is like reaching absolute zero, or traveling the speed of light. You can get closer and closer to doing it, but you can never quite get there.

I tried pills too and they had the same effect. The next step, if possible, is therapy.

I'm glad the scars are fading for you. I still have miles to go, but I think I'm past a lot of the confusion and now am in the managing phase.

Your example reminds me of Zeno's Paradox. I don't know if I will ever reach the end, but I don't think I ever will, in reality - just take steps closer to finding peace. It's better than convincing one's self and being dissapointed time and time again.

Hug

28-07-2013, 08:55 PM
(28-07-2013 06:09 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(28-07-2013 05:53 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Safe timing being key. After the dust has settled. I thought earlier I could sort of, and well, it blew up in my face and I had to drop everything as I didn't want to go through that shit all over again. Weeks, eh? Well buckle up buckaroos! I think this thread is gonna see more of me. Dodgy

I have a standup mirror in the bathroom and it now has a paper post it note with the trigger written on it. Thanks for the suggestions Dom. Hug

28-07-2013, 08:59 PM
(28-07-2013 06:00 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  

More Hug

If you ever want or need to talk. Please please please if you don't feel safe to talk about here ... Pm me!

Thanks, mum. I might just take you up on that. Hug

29-07-2013, 07:02 AM (This post was last modified: 29-07-2013 07:05 AM by Chas.)
(28-07-2013 08:51 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(28-07-2013 07:05 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Well...as for me, I just try to avoid anything that makes me feel the way I do. I don't get like a bat out of hell though. I get knots in my stomach, very on edge and uh...a little illogically paranoid/fearful. I generally avoid talking about it, media, etc. though over time I feel less uncomfortable. I take it in small doses. I sometimes force myself to deal with it if it isn't overbearing. I used to take meds for it, but they tended to make me feel very violent and angry. I couldn't control my anger on the pills so I just quit taking them. I tried to go to therapy, but I couldn't bring myself to to keep my appointments. The fist time I saw a therapist I cried, which was extremely surprising to me. I had never talked about it before, and didn't think I'd react so strongly. He recommended group therapy, but I had to much fear and guilt to attend. Sorry, my way of dealing with it probably isn't the way the experts would advise to do it. For me at least I think the scars will never completely fade away, but I can already see them fading a bit.

I tried pills too and they had the same effect. The next step, if possible, is therapy.

I'm glad the scars are fading for you. I still have miles to go, but I think I'm past a lot of the confusion and now am in the managing phase.

Your example reminds me of Zeno's Paradox. I don't know if I will ever reach the end, but I don't think I ever will, in reality - just take steps closer to finding peace. It's better than convincing one's self and being dissapointed time and time again.

Hug

It sounds pretty healthy to accept that at some point close enough is good enough.

I've had physical and mental therapy, and came to understand that the goal often isn't 'cure' but 'progress'.

Hang in there and keep on truckin'.Hug

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
29-07-2013, 11:16 AM
So true Chas. I think there are people who put down their therapy experience because they just want whatever the issue is, to be fixed. They don't see results and never return.