PTSD

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-08-2013, 05:49 AM
RE: PTSD
Well,

I can only tell you what I have done to help myself. I was deployed 3 times to iraq between 2004 and 2009. There also seems to be some issues with my childhood. Whatever I have PTSD.

The things I have found to help me the most are:

1. Someone who you trust to talk to.
2. something to do to refocus yourself
3. A way to work through your triggers.

The first one is most defiantly the most difficult. I have as of yet found 2 people and between them i can talk about mos anything... Number 2...I play World of Tanks...It makes me focus on something else and it gives me a place to get some frustrations out. for you? Sports, games, kids, I don't know... need to find something... number 3...also very difficult. I have a huge problem going shopping...entirely to many people and i freak out get scared anxious defensive... I get dizzy and so on... What I do? my girl helps me alot when we go somewhere. I try to go when know there are less people. Also reminding myself as to where I am helps. Helicopters scare the shit out of me when i hear them and don't expect them...

I went and got professional help... group therapy helped A LOT. its a slow process and will take time and understanding from you and the people you live around/with.

I understand you don't know me, and don't trust me. (because i wouldn't if I was you) but I would be an ear for you if you ever need it. Just remember your not alone and you can overcome it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2013, 07:57 PM
(28-07-2013 03:51 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  It's interfering with my personal life at the moment.

I'd gone through a heckuva lot with my family. Now it's gotten to the point where if anything triggers past emotions, I'm like a bat out of hell.

Anyone have this experience with PTSD? If so, how do you get through it?

There's alot of good advice mentioned here. I have never walked in your shoes so I can't really say what would help. Everybody's mind and thoughts are different but when I was going through some really horrible crap a while back I found something called Yoga Nidra. It has been used for PTSD with some success.

http://www.irest.us/sites/default/files/...icle_0.pdf

What's nice about this type of Yoga is that you just lie there. There are no crazy pretzel positions.

I got a album of yoga nidra from i-tunes. It's great. The one I got had no religious quality to it.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
02-08-2013, 04:36 PM
(01-08-2013 05:49 AM)crackbaby8404 Wrote:  Well,

I can only tell you what I have done to help myself. I was deployed 3 times to iraq between 2004 and 2009. There also seems to be some issues with my childhood. Whatever I have PTSD.

The things I have found to help me the most are:

1. Someone who you trust to talk to.
2. something to do to refocus yourself
3. A way to work through your triggers.

The first one is most defiantly the most difficult. I have as of yet found 2 people and between them i can talk about mos anything... Number 2...I play World of Tanks...It makes me focus on something else and it gives me a place to get some frustrations out. for you? Sports, games, kids, I don't know... need to find something... number 3...also very difficult. I have a huge problem going shopping...entirely to many people and i freak out get scared anxious defensive... I get dizzy and so on... What I do? my girl helps me alot when we go somewhere. I try to go when know there are less people. Also reminding myself as to where I am helps. Helicopters scare the shit out of me when i hear them and don't expect them...

I went and got professional help... group therapy helped A LOT. its a slow process and will take time and understanding from you and the people you live around/with.

I understand you don't know me, and don't trust me. (because i wouldn't if I was you) but I would be an ear for you if you ever need it. Just remember your not alone and you can overcome it.

I was never in the military. I've looked into group therapy around here and there's a chance I might be able to get on a waiting list for an anxiety clinic in my area. Chances are I'll have to can the current GP I have to get one who doesn't think one has to be in a wheelchair to actually be disabled so papers can be properly filled out so I can be covered by an insurance plan. She's not the sharpest tool in the shed.

#2 is probably the most difficult one. I jump around from thing to thing 'cause I can't concentrate long enough to get grounded. I'm in the present once the flashback is over, and as my Tourette makes me swear like a sailor after it happens I tend to find myself saying "fucking lamp, fridge, cock sucking chair, computer" and so on and so forth the surest sign I'm "back" is I start laughing at myself. That's only when I'm alone, though. It only comes out when a trigger is overwhelming.

For #3 I'm slowly going out into the real world again. I remember people telling me they prided themselves on how long they stayed indoors when on binges and then I blew their records out of the fucking water. I'm still sometimes like that. I don't go out unless if it's with people I know, or out to get coffee nearby or grab a packet of something at the corner store. I don't go out just to go out at all, but then I never did that anyway really.

My "tour" was in my city where I grew up and where I still live. My plan is to move out of the province to somewhere far away from this piece of shit place. The area may look nice and have good tourism but quite frankly this place isn't "home" anymore for me; just a place I reside in - inside and outside of my mind. I don't think a location change will affect at all the underlying psychological issues I've got going, but it would be nice to have a fresh start somewhere where I don't turn my head and think to myself, my, remember when shit hit the fan right there??

Lucky you; I only have 1 person I trust with my life and can talk about anything with. I lose him and I lose a part of myself.

It's a strange world I live in.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]