Pac-man moons

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-11-2012, 06:03 AM
Pac-man moons
Not sure if I should create a new thread, or just post this in an existing one, so 'scuse me if I've misstepped, but I thought this is way cool and wanted to share:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-20510109
[Image: _64403870_64403869.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-11-2012, 07:28 AM
RE: Pac-man moons
Nice Big Grin Pacman on Mimas, the Death Star Moon. What about the other moons in Saturn's satellite system? I'm curious about their thermal maps.
[Image: Death+Star+Pac+Man.jpg]

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
[+] 3 users Like robotworld's post
27-11-2012, 07:51 AM (This post was last modified: 27-11-2012 10:47 AM by Vera.)
(27-11-2012 07:28 AM)robotworld Wrote:  Nice Big Grin Pacman on Mimas, the Death Star Moon. What about the other moons in Saturn's satellite system? I'm curious about their thermal maps.
I actually had to go read up a bit on it (yeah, I haven't seen Star Wars... gasp! Tried, but... we just weren't meant for each other) and came across this rather stupid (imo) wording: "When seen from certain angles, Mimas resembles the Death Star, a fictional space station known from the film Star Wars Episode IV"

Don't quote me on this, but I'm almost positive that Mimas is just a tad older than the Death Star, so it's rather the other way around... No

Well, it says that Tethys displays similar patterns, too, so who knows. Maybe our galaxy is one humongous pac-man game, so the pertinent question is whether the Earth is pac-man or one of the enemies or maybe we're just a pac-dot, which gets eat up either way Hobo

27-11-2012, 08:18 AM
I am more interested in what NASA has to reveal about Mars. I think they might've found the Russian flag, but I dunno. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 2 users Like Logica Humano's post
27-11-2012, 08:24 AM
(27-11-2012 08:18 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I am more interested in what NASA has to reveal about Mars. I think they might've found the Russian flag, but I dunno. Drinking Beverage
D'ya know the one about how after the landing on the Moon, the Russians decided to send people to the Sun? Drinking Beverage

27-11-2012, 09:41 AM
(27-11-2012 08:24 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(27-11-2012 08:18 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I am more interested in what NASA has to reveal about Mars. I think they might've found the Russian flag, but I dunno. Drinking Beverage
D'ya know the one about how after the landing on the Moon, the Russians decided to send people to the Sun? Drinking Beverage
No, but I heard the one about how Russia sent an extensive amount of probes to Venus, beat the U.S in everything except manned lunar landings, and how they did all of that with a communist economy. Drinking Beverage

Poonjab
27-11-2012, 10:09 AM
(27-11-2012 09:41 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  No, but I heard the one about how Russia sent an extensive amount of probes to Venus, beat the U.S in everything except manned lunar landings, and how they did all of that with a communist economy. Drinking Beverage
No one said there ain't no money in Russia. It's a huuuuuge country, that has just about every natural resource. Problem is where the money is (hint: in the hands of a select few)

Anyway, the joke was that the astronauts (or cosmonauts, as they're called around here... and in Russia) told the Party guys, who decided that there should be a trip to the Sun: "Do you have any idea how hot the Sun is? We're gonna get burnt to a crisp!", to which the Party guys reply:"We ain't that stupid. You're only gonna fly at night." Ah, that brings me back in time [Image: pioneer.gif] (be grateful you don't know what this is).

27-11-2012, 10:44 AM
(27-11-2012 10:09 AM)Vera Wrote:  Ah, that brings me back in time [Image: pioneer.gif] (be grateful you don't know what this is).
Young Communists?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-11-2012, 10:50 AM
(27-11-2012 10:44 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-11-2012 10:09 AM)Vera Wrote:  Ah, that brings me back in time [Image: pioneer.gif] (be grateful you don't know what this is).
Young Communists?
Aye, aye, c'tain! Called pioneers. There was another organisation for younger tots and yet another for adolescents (the Comsomol); never made it to the latter though, Communism fell before I was old enough, thank... well, thank someone.

27-11-2012, 10:52 AM
(27-11-2012 10:09 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(27-11-2012 09:41 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  No, but I heard the one about how Russia sent an extensive amount of probes to Venus, beat the U.S in everything except manned lunar landings, and how they did all of that with a communist economy. Drinking Beverage
No one said there ain't no money in Russia. It's a huuuuuge country, that has just about every natural resource. Problem is where the money is (hint: in the hands of a select few)

Anyway, the joke was that the astronauts (or cosmonauts, as they're called around here... and in Russia) told the Party guys, who decided that there should be a trip to the Sun: "Do you have any idea how hot the Sun is? We're gonna get burnt to a crisp!", to which the Party guys reply:"We ain't that stupid. You're only gonna fly at night." Ah, that brings me back in time [Image: pioneer.gif] (be grateful you don't know what this is).
Communism limits economic potential. That is why it is a big deal that they were able to do so with a communist economy. The size is irrelevant, the way I see it. It simply presents more difficulty in traversing the nation's borders and transporting resources. More border to watch and protect over. A larger target to attack.

I am aware of your country's history.

Poonjab