Pacific Rim

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-07-2013, 05:50 PM (This post was last modified: 13-07-2013 10:43 PM by Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver.)
Pacific Rim
Went and saw this on IMAX 3D today. I'd rate it 3 out of 5 stars.

For a summer blockbuster, it's good with a solid story line, good cast, and plenty of eye candy that matches or beats anything else out there.

Thirty years from now, humanity is locked in a losing battle against giant alien monsters, defined in the opening credits as Kaiju, which visit and ravage the earth from a portal deep under the pacific ocean. Humanity's only salvation lies in the Jagers, 30-story, 1,000-ton, biped mech warriors which tangle with Kaiju in cataclysmic fistfights, all rendered in CGI with bassy foley effects that'll give the audience cerebral hemorrhaging.

Sons of Anarchy star Charlie Hunnam leads the cast as a Jager driver whose become a recluse after the death of his brother piloting Jagers to fight the Kaiju. Tracked down in an all too familiar sequence (think X-Men Origins: Wolverine?) and reluctantly comes back to the Jager Corps because of the dire situation humanity is in at this point.

Guillermo Del Toro doesn't disappoint the male aged 18-34 crowd here, spinning a fairly familiar, but not terribly innovative sci-fi yarn. He seems to be more interested in making a retelling of the classic japanese monster movies of the 1960s and 1970s, giving there a better cast and a glittery computer generated finish. While the Kaiju are certainly a menace they don't quite have the audience endearment that Godzilla or Gamera did.

In the end it's a big budget, robots vs monsters, Godzilla vs SAMCRO that will leave the average sci fi geek satisfied all the way through the closing credits. I do however have a couple of gripes, one of which is that the CGI and sound effects have the same problem that they do in Transformers: There's too many of them and they're just too intense, that the aduience quickly becomes saturated and can't keep up with what's going on. Maybe I'm getting old. Maybe I should perk up and watch more closely, but it starts to just become stressful to follow along.

Another thing: 30 years into the future with humanity under danger of extinction by alien monsters, and the best response we can mount is giant robots who kick their ass in fistfights? Seriously, the best response we mount is to beat 'em up? Maybe it's an escalation of the current trend of defense contractors to sell exotic but useless weapon systems to world governments. I dunno.

But yeah, if Sci Fi's your thing, Pacific Rim is worth the ticket price. Just don't expect anything more cerebral than robots beat up monsters.

UPDATE: I wanted to include the trailer to the film, but I realized the trailer IS the film, just condensed into a 3 minute sequence (there's not much left to the imagination). But if you wanna see it, here it is.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-07-2013, 09:28 PM
RE: Pacific Rim
Thanks, I'm looking at seeing it in the next week or so.
I love sci-fi action movies Smile

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
18-07-2013, 03:47 AM
Hmmm, I was intending to see it, but I really like my movies to have at least some substance in all the style. And if the entire movie can be summed up as "giant monsters fighting giant robots and not much else", maybe I should reconsider.

All learning is quite useless if you haven't learned to question what you learn.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-07-2013, 12:21 AM
Saw the movie and not impressed that much. Also the CGI was bad.

Try this site for online translation services.
30-07-2013, 12:39 AM
(30-07-2013 12:21 AM)KieranCulkin Wrote:  Saw the movie and not impressed that much. Also the CGI was bad.

What, CGI was bad? Then, do I have any other reason to loose my bandwidth? I had a feeling that the CGI will be the best part of the movie... Damn it!

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
30-07-2013, 04:59 AM
Didn't notice the CGI... The plot, however, was kinda... peculiar to say the least.

"I'm an agnostic atheist looking not to FIND the meaningful purpose of life but to MAKE life's purpose meaningful."

"I love science, logic, and reason. And thus an atheist was born."
31-07-2013, 06:46 PM
I liked this movie just because Ron Perlman was in it. + His fine looking golden shoes. Where can I get me a pair of those things?
However, there was no story really...but it does give Godzilla's origins.
31-07-2013, 07:16 PM
Wait so vulcan mind melds, where did that comes from?

...and I think it's missing this lady:

[Image: Rita4-14a.jpg]

*Disclaimer: I haven't seen it, just watched the trailer, baby = wait till video, especially for action sci-fi that Lady RTS would probably hate.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-10-2013, 09:58 PM
A nice copy of Evangelion that doesn't pretend to be anything else. Too many comedic breaks but great CGI and kind of cheesy at some points (typical speeches and sacrifices).

I give it two udders

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
31-10-2013, 02:41 PM
I loved Pacific Rim, as it was the big-budget version of what I grew up with--monster movies and shlock. It's a bit brainless, a bit silly, and if you apply too many questions, you aren't going to enjoy yourself. But, it spoke to the 10-year-old in me, and it spoke to the 10-year-old that is my son.

Guillermo Del Toro clearly had a similar childhood to many of us geeks in our 30's and 40's now. Hollywood is usually afraid to make a movie like this, so I'm glad we've got established filmmakers with his creativity and childlike imagination.

This is the signature.

http://www.FromNothingGameStudios.com