Pacifism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-06-2012, 10:51 AM
Pacifism
Is there a role for Pacifism in this world? Is war really the right thing to do in certain places in certain situations? Or is mankind advanced enough that it shoiuldnt need war?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Daftheed's post
28-06-2012, 11:36 AM
RE: Pacifism
I'd want mankind to be advanced enough to not need war. However the power of delusion is so great that in many places in the world, carrying weapons to carryout ideas is still common place.

You have to remember 300 years ago wars were common place. We've just barley begun our journey into the modern era.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
28-06-2012, 11:45 AM
(28-06-2012 10:51 AM)Daftheed Wrote:  Is there a role for Pacifism in this world? Is war really the right thing to do in certain places in certain situations? Or is mankind advanced enough that it shoiuldnt need war?
Indeed cooler heads need to prevail in international conflicts and, in fact, there are a lot of diplomatic and economic ways to deter conflict and illicit cooperation between two feuding parties.

But absolute pacifism is a welcome mat for tyranny. War is sometimes the only answer to deter an aggressor.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
28-06-2012, 12:01 PM
I think that it is a matter of education and the kind of society.
Right nowadays we do learn from toddler years on that fighting and shouting and hitting etc is not the way to solve a problem BUT at the same time these are the things cartoons are displaying, these are the things on TV, in all media, people talk about it, fight openly in public. We need a police obviously and we have to explain to our children that there are people who still do bad things although they know better. And we as adults are mean, ignorant, and sometimes violent (no matter if it is physically or with words!).
So our kids grow up with contradicting information on the topic.

How can our society become pacifistic (is that a word?) if we feed the next generations such contradicting information?
btw this is the cause of lots of problems.

On the other hand fstrazero pointed out very well, we are new to this lifestyle. We can be happy if we are actually living in a place where there is not a war. I think we made huge steps to a kind of more peaceful direction, but we might need a few more hundret years.
Just live for your kids what you want the world to be and you are helping already Smile

I personally I am not a big fan of violence. But I am not taking it to the extreme, if someone attacks me (verbally or physically) I do hit back because I am not a punchball. But the aggression will not start on my side unless I feel threatened in some way. (I am only an animal after all Wink )

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Leela's post
28-06-2012, 03:18 PM
I think Leela sums up a lot of good points on the topic......... I myself like to consider myself a pacifist however I play violent computer games and I watch action films where people needlessly die.

I also like to consider myself a pacifist but that doesnt mean that if you rub me up the wrong way (and it will take a lot but isnt impossible) then I wont become violent.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
28-06-2012, 08:38 PM
I think it's inevitable.

Globalization has changed this world beyond recognition.
As more and more and more countries rely more and more on each other economically then the less chance there is for war.
ie: 1800's through to 1945 Europe was at each other whether the Franco_Prussian war or WW2.
You'd never get that today because all the EU depend on each other economically. I mean look at Greece, one country goes into the crapper and it drags the rest down with it.
Or America, they caused the whole recession but look how it has effected the whole world (mostly EU and Asia).
And so because countries are far more dependent on each other they're not gonna want to go to war with each other.
You gotta remember it was only less then 100years ago where every country just made everything themselves.
New Zealand for one still made our own cars and TVs until tariffs were removed in 86' and we could import Japanese. Its why America would never go to war with China no matter how much people think they will. The two countries are so heavily dependent on each other.
I mean yeah we still have shit happening in Africa or the Middle East but their economies are not relied on as much, and when the US or whoever goes into these countries it's one country and its usually for a good reason.

But I think as economies grow, more and more countries grow and develop then because everyone will rely on everyone else, nobody will risk going to war, it just wont be worth the gain. Afterall, that is why war was rampit in the first place, because it was profitable. (Talking middle ages and shit). You fought a war, gained new land and shit and got rich. Even in WW1 Germany went to war with the intent of gaining new land. WW2, Germany again land grabbing.

It's all about money.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
28-06-2012, 09:58 PM
(28-06-2012 10:51 AM)Daftheed Wrote:  Is there a role for Pacifism in this world? Is war really the right thing to do in certain places in certain situations? Or is mankind advanced enough that it shoiuldnt need war?
Adhering to non-violence regardless of the threat is wrong, and it is immoral. I agree with the opinions of Hitchens and Harris when they argue for strong resistance to religion inspired violence.
29-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Is there a role for Pacifism in this world? Definetly.

Are the leaders of the countries all around the world willing to be peaceful? Sadly, the answer is "No".

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
29-06-2012, 12:54 PM
(29-06-2012 12:43 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Is there a role for Pacifism in this world? Definetly.

Are the leaders of the countries all around the world willing to be peaceful? Sadly, the answer is "No".

yes, that is quite unfortunate
05-07-2012, 02:52 PM
[align=-webkit-left]In the words of John Milton "War makes rattling good history; but Peace is poor reading." But the time of armies has passed. The increase of technology has driven armies to hide amongst the civilians and soldiers no longer fight, they carry computers into battle which fight for them. Skill has little affect on modern soldiers when a man can be destroyed without realizing his enemy is even fighting him. I think Its been a good 50 or so years since the last really entertaining war. Although the syrian Civil war was rather interesting.[/align]

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc