Pacifism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-07-2012, 02:53 PM
RE: Pacifism
(05-07-2012 02:52 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  [align=-webkit-left]In the words of John Milton "War makes rattling good history; but Peace is poor reading." But the time of armies has passed. The increase of technology has driven armies to hide amongst the civilians and soldiers no longer fight, they carry computers into battle which fight for them. Skill has little affect on modern soldiers when a man can be destroyed without realizing his enemy is even fighting him. I think Its been a good 50 or so years since the last really entertaining war. Although the syrian Civil war was rather interesting.
Don't forget Libya, that was a real good time. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2012, 03:18 PM
I am a pacifist at heart, but a realist in life and so this is something I have never been able to reconcile.

For peace to work, all must agree and I am afraid it is not within human nature - yet. A lot more cultural evolution is needed.

So I have a gun and know how to use it, and I have a fully trained police dog. Just because I am a person who enjoys peace and tranquility doesn't mean I have to be a sitting duck for those who are not like minded. I didn't use to need such things, but I am getting older and am not as able bodied as I was in my youth. I don't have it in me to be an aggressor, but if someone attacks me, I always have been and always will be able to say: "bring it on".

I do believe that humankind is on the right track, but world peace is not going to happen in my life time. What we can learn as individuals and as countries right now is to not be an aggressor, but to be perfectly able to defend ourselves. It's the first step in the right direction.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
05-07-2012, 03:19 PM
Quote: TarzanSmith Wrote:
Quote:[align=-webkit-left]In the words of John Milton "War makes rattling good history; but Peace is poor reading." But the time of armies has passed. The increase of technology has driven armies to hide amongst the civilians and soldiers no longer fight, they carry computers into battle which fight for them. Skill has little affect on modern soldiers when a man can be destroyed without realizing his enemy is even fighting him. I think Its been a good 50 or so years since the last really entertaining war. Although the syrian Civil war was rather interesting.
Don't forget Libya, that was a real good time. [Image: dodgy.gif]
I didn't particularly like Libya since It always felt like we were backing the rebels under the guise of evening the odds which doesn't make any sense. Gadaffi has planes and rebels don't, Well I guess we just make Libya a no fly zone. you've obviously chosen sides. either blast Gadaffi's ass off the map or back away. If a rebellion is strong enough to succeed it will otherwise it wasn't strong enough.

P.s. it seems I didn't use the quote button quite right

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
05-07-2012, 06:15 PM
(05-07-2012 03:18 PM)Dom Wrote:  I am a pacifist at heart, but a realist in life and so this is something I have never been able to reconcile.

For peace to work, all must agree and I am afraid it is not within human nature - yet. A lot more cultural evolution is needed.

So I have a gun and know how to use it, and I have a fully trained police dog. Just because I am a person who enjoys peace and tranquility doesn't mean I have to be a sitting duck for those who are not like minded. I didn't use to need such things, but I am getting older and am not as able bodied as I was in my youth. I don't have it in me to be an aggressor, but if someone attacks me, I always have been and always will be able to say: "bring it on".

I do believe that humankind is on the right track, but world peace is not going to happen in my life time. What we can learn as individuals and as countries right now is to not be an aggressor, but to be perfectly able to defend ourselves. It's the first step in the right direction.

What's so hard to reconcile? Pacifist don't mean pussy and I'll beat the shit out of anyone who says otherwise.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
09-07-2012, 05:21 AM
One thing i will say, anyone who thinks that pacifism equals cowardice is missing the point. It's like calling someone a coward for not entering a burning building to save a loved one despite the fact they would most likely die too. In my opinion, pacifism is not cowardice, it is common sense. It is quite normal to not want to kill your fellow man, even when they may be of different race and ethnic identity. War is neccessary in certain circumstances, but war-mongering is just plain stupid. It is brave to risk your life for what you believe in, but it is harder to refuse in some countries. In world war one, the price for refusal to fight or contribute to the war effort was death.