"Pagan Atheists"!?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Question "Pagan Atheists"!?
Just saw a program on different cultures, and apparently there is such a thing as Atheists who practice Wicca. So the obvious questions are, How can you be a witch, and an Atheist. From the best that I can tell, all witches worship at a bare minimum one deity, with most worshiping two or more. If that isn't a prerequisite to becoming a Wiccan, then what is the pre-reqs? For an atheist, what is the point? I just don't get it. The only reasons I can think of is to socialize, maybe some of the rituals are fun, and they have cool holidays (maybe?). If there are any practitioners of witchcraft, or former practitioners I would appreciate some insight here.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-09-2012, 09:39 PM
RE: "Pagan Atheists"!?
Witches fly on brooms. Atheists can fly on brooms. Drinking Beverage

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Sent by Jebus to put the stud back in Bible Study. "I believe Mr. Peanut is the Messiah" -- onlinebiker
19-09-2012, 09:54 PM
You can always cut the god/gods out of rituals and still practice the ritual.

Personally I left the rituals behind with my christianity.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
19-09-2012, 09:58 PM
You can practice the rituals and believe there is some nothing to it... or they could believe their are some "spirits" or what have you out there that aren't deistic.

It's not that being an atheist means throwing away any ideas of ghosts/demons/spirits or anything woowoo.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
19-09-2012, 09:58 PM
There are always people who have a need for spirituality despite knowing that there is no such thing as gods, spirits, ghosts, etc. They practice "New Age" stuff simply for the comfort that ritual provides to them, though they know there is nothing magical to it. Personally I do not understand this recurring need for spirituality...but I won't judge too harshly those that engage in it.
19-09-2012, 10:27 PM
I've known an agnostic pagan. He thought the magic and all was probably bunk, but it was fun, it made him feel good, and hey you never know right? Plus his girlfriend was into it, so there's that.

I don't have much of that spiritual urge, but the little bit I do have helps me see the appeal. But I don't think I could do the naked dancing. Hell of a thing to watch though.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
19-09-2012, 10:57 PM
I know several pagans. Two of them definitely believe in the Goddess. One of them does not believe in the Goddess, but does believe in spirits. The last one says she's an atheist. The first three practice their rituals regularly and celebrate specific holidays as is their religious custom. The last one I mentioned... I'm not really sure... I think she just likes the "glitter" of it all, if you will.
20-09-2012, 06:49 AM
It seems many people have an incorrect understanding of "atheist". They think it means "not Christian". This seems especially true among Christians.

That's why, when you say you're an atheist, you get the response "So you worship Satan, then?".

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
20-09-2012, 07:25 AM
Fucker. Big Grin

Prophet is just a form of witch. Witchcraft is primitive science. Every field of scientific inquiry begins as witchcraft. Believing in woo even works in certain contexts, but I try to avoid that shit.

Here's a few things that allow me to be both witch and atheist:

1. God is not agency.
2. God is not unnatural.
3. Post-mortum preservation of identity is ludicrous.
4. God is not defined. The Gwynnies of which can be spoken, is not the eternal Gwynnies. Big Grin

(20-09-2012 06:49 AM)Chas Wrote:  That's why, when you say you're an atheist, you get the response "So you worship Satan, then?".

I don't worship Satan, he's on the payroll. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 5 users Like houseofcantor's post
20-09-2012, 07:33 AM
Worshipping satan would be a better choice, considering that the amount of people he killed can be counted on the fingers of my hand. Consider