"Pagan Atheists"!?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-10-2012, 11:55 AM
RE: "Pagan Atheists"!?
Yeah, I don't know about Wicca specifically, but there are atheist witches (you need to be initiated into a coven/tradition or something to be Wicca, whereas anyone could be a witch), pagan atheists, etc.

The thing with pagan atheists, i think, it that some see the pagan deities as archetypal and not "real" in any sense, and they may enjoy the psychodrama involved without actually thinking Bacchus is on their side.

It may also help to think of LaVeyan Satanism, which does not believe in or worship deities (or satan), yet still encourages ritual and allows things like spells.

As for witchcraft, in the sense of magic practice, it is not necessary to believe in any deities for people to practice magic, usually considering this as a manipulation of some kinds of forces or energies or of will, rather than the way a Christian might specifically ask God to help heal a relative.

It's all woo to me, but some people feel this way.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like amyb's post
18-11-2012, 11:29 AM
(19-09-2012 09:35 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Just saw a program on different cultures, and apparently there is such a thing as Atheists who practice Wicca. So the obvious questions are, How can you be a witch, and an Atheist. From the best that I can tell, all witches worship at a bare minimum one deity, with most worshiping two or more. If that isn't a prerequisite to becoming a Wiccan, then what is the pre-reqs? For an atheist, what is the point? I just don't get it. The only reasons I can think of is to socialize, maybe some of the rituals are fun, and they have cool holidays (maybe?). If there are any practitioners of witchcraft, or former practitioners I would appreciate some insight here.
Not all Witches are Wiccans.
There are many Witches and Pagans who are Naturalistic. I belong to several groups online for Naturalistic Paganism, Pantheist Paganism, etc where the only God that is worshipped or honored is Nature/The Universe. Though some do tend to call it The Goddess, in reality what they mean is the collective force, the elements and energies that exist in the Natural world.
Shadakism which is a family tradition of Witchcraft and Shadaks do consider their path to be their religion even though most Wiccans these days will claim that Witchcraft is not a religion and is simply the practice of magic (this is false but another discussion) do not believe in deities at all or supernaturalism.
Like my belief system, they believe in Psychodrama and fantasy, rituals are a way to connect to The Goddess and their Inner/deeper selves, Magic is a way to release built up tensions and frustrations within themselves and at other people. Shadakism has rules and laws but no gods so Yeah its very possible Smile
Find all posts by this user
18-11-2012, 11:33 AM
(19-09-2012 10:27 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  I've known an agnostic pagan. He thought the magic and all was probably bunk, but it was fun, it made him feel good, and hey you never know right? Plus his girlfriend was into it, so there's that.

I don't have much of that spiritual urge, but the little bit I do have helps me see the appeal. But I don't think I could do the naked dancing. Hell of a thing to watch though.

The naked dancing to which you refer is called spirit dancing. Its a very powerful way to reach a trance state and allow the practioner to reach deeper aspects of themselves and perform better Magic. The reason I do it in the nude is for practical reasons though--mainly because clothes get in the way of completely being free to move about the room and also you tend to sweat in large amounts when you dance for 2-3 hours straight with 10 candles lit in the room. Smile
Spirit dancing is a practice that can be done by Witches, Satanists, even Atheists, Its not a religious practice by any means.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Irishdize's post