Paine

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
17-03-2010, 03:52 PM

Paine
Has anyone else here read Thomas Paine's "The Age of Reason"?
I'm nearly finished with it and I can't believe such a crushing blow to the authenticity of the Bible was dealt so long ago, yet there are still willfully ignorant people willing to take that Bronze Age text at face value.

Paine's analysis of each book of the Bible, and subsequent critique, deftly dices up any credibility the book may have had left by using the inconsistencies and contradictions with the chronology of other books. Essentially, he uses the Bible itself to discredit the supposed authorship of most of the books, including the 5 most important to all Abrahamic religions, the first 5 which Moses is said to have written.

If you haven't I highly recommend reading it if you find the time. So far its the best critical analysis of the Bible itself I've read so far; and it goes to the root of the issue, instead of indulging the superstitious and arguing against the impossibilities of their fantasies, Paine shows that its best to discredit the source of their delusion.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jaronm90's post
16-03-2013, 04:08 AM
RE: Paine
Thanks for recommending it. Sounds like a great read.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-03-2013, 05:27 AM
RE: Paine
(17-03-2010 03:52 PM)jaronm90 Wrote:  Has anyone else here read Thomas Paine's "The Age of Reason"?
I'm nearly finished with it and I can't believe such a crushing blow to the authenticity of the Bible was dealt so long ago, yet there are still willfully ignorant people willing to take that Bronze Age text at face value.

Paine's analysis of each book of the Bible, and subsequent critique, deftly dices up any credibility the book may have had left by using the inconsistencies and contradictions with the chronology of other books. Essentially, he uses the Bible itself to discredit the supposed authorship of most of the books, including the 5 most important to all Abrahamic religions, the first 5 which Moses is said to have written.

If you haven't I highly recommend reading it if you find the time. So far its the best critical analysis of the Bible itself I've read so far; and it goes to the root of the issue, instead of indulging the superstitious and arguing against the impossibilities of their fantasies, Paine shows that its best to discredit the source of their delusion.
Yes, it is a classic.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply