Paine

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
03-06-2015, 11:24 AM
RE: Paine
(03-06-2015 08:45 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  Franklin, though being one of the great minds of the 18th century was clearly not a humanist. His world was very stratified and as Natachan has pointed out, he bought into it.

Agree. I think he looked on the human species rather dispassionately and approached human problems from a very pragmatic standpoint. It seems that he thought that if an individual discovered the truth, without being led to it by another, only then he did he prove worthy of knowing it. In a similar vein, he felt that people should be allowed to struggle and either emerge stronger or die trying. Personal struggle was essential, in his mind, to the development of one's self and the human race as a whole. I don't doubt he would feed a starving neighbor, but only if the neighbor asked. Otherwise, he'd probably have watched him starve.

The fundamental miscalculation he made in his response to Paine, to bring the conversation roundabout, was to overestimate the degree to which the ignorant masses would even care to know the truth if it slapped them in the face.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2015, 02:14 PM
(03-06-2015 04:26 AM)Eva Wrote:  What a coincidence as I added this book to my amazon wish list just a few days ago. So I'll be buying and reading it very soon.

I think I downloaded it on my Kindle and it was free. (I think) I do know that Thomas Jefferson's version of the Bible is free. I have that too.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
03-06-2015, 02:48 PM
Project Gutenberg has the Paine works for free.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
03-06-2015, 03:07 PM
(17-03-2010 03:52 PM)jaronm90 Wrote:  Has anyone else here read Thomas Paine's "The Age of Reason"?
I'm nearly finished with it and I can't believe such a crushing blow to the authenticity of the Bible was dealt so long ago, yet there are still willfully ignorant people willing to take that Bronze Age text at face value.

Paine's analysis of each book of the Bible, and subsequent critique, deftly dices up any credibility the book may have had left by using the inconsistencies and contradictions with the chronology of other books. Essentially, he uses the Bible itself to discredit the supposed authorship of most of the books, including the 5 most important to all Abrahamic religions, the first 5 which Moses is said to have written.

If you haven't I highly recommend reading it if you find the time. So far its the best critical analysis of the Bible itself I've read so far; and it goes to the root of the issue, instead of indulging the superstitious and arguing against the impossibilities of their fantasies, Paine shows that its best to discredit the source of their delusion.

This is because faith and reason are, despite the protests of theists, not equivalent. They can ignore it because their belief is not reason based to begin with. The Bible is true because they want it to be true, it gives them comfort, it makes them feel important, etc.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick