Paladin chat (split from fave pics)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-06-2015, 12:18 PM
RE: Favorite pictures for a laugh at everything else...
(26-06-2015 02:51 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Really? I've never played WoW... I avoid all MMORPGs like the plague, ever since I lost a whole generation of friends to the original EverCrack. I was aware you meant WoW because of "level 80", of course.

Hard to believe there exists such a thing as Paladins without CHA! Ugly Paldins? Dark days, my friend, dark days.

I lost about 3 years to evercrack. A friend convinced me to give it a try. So, I sat down to play it one evening. When I looked up from the computer to see what time it was, I realized it was morning. It was amazingly difficult to stand up for some reason. When I did, I limped downstairs and the news was on the TV. That is when I realized I had been playing not just all night, but for 3 years straight.

Slight exaggeration? Maybe. But it is pretty damn close to how I feel about it looking back now.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-06-2015, 12:25 PM
(26-06-2015 11:14 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I played 3.5 ed D&D throughout my time in prison... I literally was playing a Cleric the day I learned I had been exonerated, and would be out-processed. I played illegally, as the prison administrators are fundamentalist Christians, almost to a man, and it's prohibited in nearly every state. The legal reasoning for this is hilarious, since they claim it's for "security of the facility" by claiming D&D play resembles "security threat group" (gang) activity, and is therefore prohibited. They can't go into a court and say "my fundamentalist church says D&D is bad, so I'm going to abuse my power as an administrator", so they come up with the STG argument. And courts buy it! After all, they're "Security Experts", and the courts don't want to intervene in their expertise. Yes, that's actually what they say in their official findings.

I know that Christians do stupid things cause of belief but this is really idiotic. Don't have much else to say about this.

(26-06-2015 11:14 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Paladins, on the other hand, I found pathetic in 3.5, despite their Saving Throw bonuses, and were only viable as part of a multiclass setup, which is hard to do since 3.5 says you can't advance as a Pal once you've taken any other class. I now play with a Pathfinder group (3.5 slightly "reconditioned" for those who don't like 4th or 5th eds), and have discovered that they tried so hard to make the Paladin class worthwhile that many groups ban the class's use for being massively overpowered. I am very glad of my Pathfinder group, though, as it's been a nice way to make a "smooth" transition from a social activity that helped keep me sane in my decade of wrongful imprisonment (with other open-minded rebels of the imagination in there) to a social activity here on the street with "normal" people. Well, as normal as us nerds get, anyway. Cool

I've never played as a Paladin, only read about it in PHB so I can't comment on that. Same with Pathfinder, only browsed through rulebook so I have no idea how classes work in practice. Now I'm trying to find group to play D&D 5 with.

But aren't wizards, clerics and druids overpowered? So for balance one martial class also could be Wink

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
26-06-2015, 12:36 PM
There are many arguments about what is and is-not "overpowered"; if you play the "Batman Build" version of a wizard, it can school everyone. Clerics can be made terrifyingly powerful, but there are counters to their effects if you're a smart Fighter builder, and because of the availability of Feats in 3.5, you can make a pretty nasty Fighter if you have access to expansion packs and their cool new Feat lists.

To the person who asked about suing. Yes, you can, but unfortunately you must demonstrate that what they did to you was "knowingly and willfully" and a bunch of other stuff; otherwise prosecutors and their agents have Immunity. That's why I said in my introduction page that I won't talk about details of the case, as our lawsuit is ongoing. However unlikely, it is possible that something I say here could be used to help the State deflect my lawsuit. Essentially, I have to demonstrate that their corruption of the DNA/biochemical science, taking advantage of the fact that my Public Defender was an idiot who either couldn't understand what I was telling him or simply wouldn't because he was co-opted by the other side, and misleading the jury were part of a deliberate strategy, and not simply an accident. There are several other places in which my counter-suit could be derailed, so I must be very cautious. Luckly, I have a good attorney working on it, now. I've only been out for eight weeks, now, so it's just getting underway.

Worst of all, to me, is that the Judge in my case is untouchable under law. It's called "Absolute Judicial Immunity", and even though he deliberately lied to a jury about the elements of the case, in order to negate the scientific part of our defense and mislead the jury about the standards of proof required by the state, it's chalked up legally as an accident, and is not actionable. The most that could potentially happen is that he is removed from the bench, which isn't even possible because he has retired from the bench on his own, after becoming Attorney General of the state briefly, from the fame he gathered off my disposal, and now is fabulously wealthy in private practice.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
26-06-2015, 12:46 PM
(26-06-2015 12:36 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  There are many arguments about what is and is-not "overpowered"; if you play the "Batman Build" version of a wizard, it can school everyone. Clerics can be made terrifyingly powerful, but there are counters to their effects if you're a smart Fighter builder, and because of the availability of Feats in 3.5, you can make a pretty nasty Fighter if you have access to expansion packs and their cool new Feat lists.

Sure, but I would say there is consensus about wizard, cleric and druid being overpowered. Fighter need much tweaking and sourcebooks and it still won't be such powerhouse.

Also as this is a picture thread there is my favorite ranger:

[Image: tumblr_l9vo0tvxw71qcd5kxo1_500.jpg]

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
26-06-2015, 01:48 PM
OOTS! Belkar Bitterleaf is a great psycho. Love me some OOTS. Despite the prohibition against D&D, we managed to get several of the OOTS books in through the mailroom, because they carefully weren't marked D&D-related. Belkar's sadness when 3.0 updated to 3.5 and his twin shortswords became daggers is one of my favorite things. That, and his assault on the jail guards in On the Origin of PCs.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
26-06-2015, 01:53 PM
(26-06-2015 01:48 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  OOTS! Belkar Bitterleaf is a great psycho. Love me some OOTS. Despite the prohibition against D&D, we managed to get several of the OOTS books in through the mailroom, because they carefully weren't marked D&D-related. Belkar's sadness when 3.0 updated to 3.5 and his twin shortswords became daggers is one of my favorite things. That, and his assault on the jail guards in On the Origin of PCs.

Belkar is best character in entire comic I would say. After he gets his cat he become even better.

Mikhail Bakunin.
26-06-2015, 09:59 PM
(26-06-2015 12:36 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  There are many arguments about what is and is-not "overpowered"; if you play the "Batman Build" version of a wizard, it can school everyone. Clerics can be made terrifyingly powerful, but there are counters to their effects if you're a smart Fighter builder, and because of the availability of Feats in 3.5, you can make a pretty nasty Fighter if you have access to expansion packs and their cool new Feat lists.

To the person who asked about suing. Yes, you can, but unfortunately you must demonstrate that what they did to you was "knowingly and willfully" and a bunch of other stuff; otherwise prosecutors and their agents have Immunity. That's why I said in my introduction page that I won't talk about details of the case, as our lawsuit is ongoing. However unlikely, it is possible that something I say here could be used to help the State deflect my lawsuit. Essentially, I have to demonstrate that their corruption of the DNA/biochemical science, taking advantage of the fact that my Public Defender was an idiot who either couldn't understand what I was telling him or simply wouldn't because he was co-opted by the other side, and misleading the jury were part of a deliberate strategy, and not simply an accident. There are several other places in which my counter-suit could be derailed, so I must be very cautious. Luckly, I have a good attorney working on it, now. I've only been out for eight weeks, now, so it's just getting underway.

Worst of all, to me, is that the Judge in my case is untouchable under law. It's called "Absolute Judicial Immunity", and even though he deliberately lied to a jury about the elements of the case, in order to negate the scientific part of our defense and mislead the jury about the standards of proof required by the state, it's chalked up legally as an accident, and is not actionable. The most that could potentially happen is that he is removed from the bench, which isn't even possible because he has retired from the bench on his own, after becoming Attorney General of the state briefly, from the fame he gathered off my disposal, and now is fabulously wealthy in private practice.

Holy shit!

So sorry you had to go through this. Sad

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
27-06-2015, 02:11 AM
(26-06-2015 12:46 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  

Sure, but I would say there is consensus about wizard, cleric and druid being overpowered. Fighter need much tweaking and sourcebooks and it still won't be such powerhouse.

Not a D&D expert here, and I've only played up to level 10, but I gotta say it seemed to me that in the first levels, the cleric and the druid weren't of much help (and I was the druid).

The Paladin, on the other hand...

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
27-06-2015, 02:33 AM
(27-06-2015 02:11 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(26-06-2015 12:46 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Sure, but I would say there is consensus about wizard, cleric and druid being overpowered. Fighter need much tweaking and sourcebooks and it still won't be such powerhouse.

Not a D&D expert here, and I've only played up to level 10, but I gotta say it seemed to me that in the first levels, the cleric and the druid weren't of much help (and I was the druid).

The Paladin, on the other hand...

In the first levels martial classes will be better, as they're less squishy and lack of appropriate spells isn't issue for them. But on higher levels things change. Magical ones are Tier 1 for a reason Wink

Mikhail Bakunin.
27-06-2015, 07:48 AM
He's right, when you say "overpowered", it definitely depends on what level of play we're discussing. Low-level wizards (and most other spellcasters) are awful, just awful, everyone is about the same at midlevel, and by the time you're approaching "epic" level, the casters can dust the martial classes.

Once you pass level 12 or so, as a Fighter, you'd probably better be multiclass or a Prestige Class. I don't think I've ever even seen a straight fighter above level 10.

Personally, I favor finesse-based Fighter/Rogue builds, perhaps with a couple levels of ShadowDancer prestige thrown in there on top. Most recently played an elven Cleric (priestess of Ehlonna, animal/sun domains), but the most enjoyable I played before that was a Halfling twin dagger Fighter/Rogue/ShadowDancer (4/4/2) that, with WeaponSpecialization-Dagger and some other fun tricks, I managed to make into a one-meter-tall badass. Laugh out load