Pale Blue Dot

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-04-2010, 06:21 PM

Pale Blue Dot
Hey all. I'm not sure what compelled me to re-re-re-re-(etc) watch Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot video, but it happened. It hits me pretty deep down in my probably non-existent soul. It makes me realize how truly insignificant we are in the universe. The first time I heard it, I became very apathetic about just about everything for a time, but then realized that I might as well make the most of life and appreciated it a whole lot more. Over all, it's had a very positive effect on me and how I look at things. How has it effected you?

If you haven't seen it, here ya go. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86BPM1GV...re=related
Quote this message in a reply
19-04-2010, 07:02 PM

RE: Pale Blue Dot
I took a class at a Santa Ana junior college in So. California around 1979. It took the Cosmos video series and the cosmos book and it was used as credit for astronomy. To make it better the class was held in a planetarium. During the lecture they would project what he was talking about on the planetarium ceiling.

Funny how atheists and theists could watch the same series and have such different views of it. Anyway, Carl Sagan was an agnostic, I wish he could speak from the grave and tell us the truth, it would make this life so much easier.
19-04-2010, 07:27 PM

I am quite comfortable with my insignificance in the Universe and can't understand what some peoples problem with it is. This life to me is not lessened by the realization that we are a tiny speck in the tapestry of the cosmos, anymore than it was made grand by the notion of some eternal afterlife.

In the end its just human arrogance and the desire to stand above everything else. We have no higher place than any other living creature anywhere. And even the stars die, and in dying give us life.

To me it is all quite beautiful. And I love Lawrence Krauss for saying, "Forget Jesus, the stars died so we could be here."
19-04-2010, 08:11 PM
(19-04-2010 07:27 PM)DrNekoDR Wrote:  I am quite comfortable with my insignificance in the Universe and can't understand what some peoples problem with it is. This life to me is not lessened by the realization that we are a tiny speck in the tapestry of the cosmos, anymore than it was made grand by the notion of some eternal afterlife.

In the end its just human arrogance and the desire to stand above everything else. We have no higher place that any other living creature anywhere. And even the stars die, and in dying give us life.

To me it is all quite beautiful. And I love Lawrence Krauss for saying, "Forget Jesus, the stars died so we could be here."
Well said. Funny, I just finished writing a message to a friend that was similar to this. great minds think alike!

You have just begun reading the sentence you have just finished reading.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-04-2010, 05:01 AM

Well, I have never seen the video for Pale Blue Dot, but I have read the book. I had read it back in college (which was about 15 years ago) and it made such a big impact on me. I was into amateur astronomy back then (when I actually had time to do some backyard viewing) and Pale Blue Dot seemed to wrap everything I had learned up to that point into a nice little package.

I agree with Donut Heathen, as he/she stated, "It makes me realize how truly insignificant we are in the universe." I confess that, even to this day, I get teary watching the video excerpt that Carl himself reads out:

http://www.youtube.com/user/supermanlive...86BPM1GV8M

Someone get me a hanky, please. Smile
20-04-2010, 05:48 AM
(19-04-2010 06:21 PM)Donut Heathen Wrote:  It makes me realize how truly insignificant we are in the universe.

Must... resist urge... to post... Lovecraft quotes!

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-04-2010, 07:22 AM

(20-04-2010 05:48 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(19-04-2010 06:21 PM)Donut Heathen Wrote:  It makes me realize how truly insignificant we are in the universe.

Must... resist urge... to post... Lovecraft quotes!

Please do! Smile
20-04-2010, 07:34 AM
Life is a hideous thing, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous. Science, already oppressive with its shocking revelations, will perhaps be the ultimate exterminator of our human species -- if separate species we be -- for its reserve of unguessed horrors could never be borne by mortal brains if loosed upon the world.
- H. P. Lovecraft, "Facts Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn and His Family"

Kuranes was not modern, and did not think like others who wrote. Whilst they strove to strip from life its embroidered robes of myth, and to shew in naked ugliness the foul thing that is reality, Kuranes sought for beauty alone.
- H. P. Lovecraft, "Celephaïs"

That Crawford Tillinghast should ever have studied science and philosophy was a mistake. These things should be left to the frigid and impersonal investigator, for they offer two equally tragic alternatives to the man of feeling and action; despair if he fail in his quest, and terrors unutterable and unimaginable if he succeed.
- H. P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

It's hard to find a single quote that conveys it, but it was an overarching thing of Lovecraft's work that man was utterly insignificant in an uncaring universe, and that we were destroyed, not by things that were actively malevolent, but by things that didn't care.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user