Paleo Diet Debunked

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-06-2014, 02:25 PM
Paleo Diet Debunked
http://www.sixpackabs.com/paleo-is-the-s...-of-diets/

Quote:Nutrition expert Alan Aragon summed up paleo pretty nicely in an interview I did with him. He said the paleo diet, which is really just a form of low-carb dieting that its advocates presume our Stone Age, hunter-gatherer ancestors ate, is just another fad. “Paleo philosophy is wrong on a couple of different levels,” he told me. “They say our ancestors didn’t eat grains, and therefore we shouldn’t eat grains. First, our ancestors did eat grains. There is also the logical error that if our ancestors didn’t eat something we shouldn’t either. Well, our ancestors didn’t concern themselves with optimal nutrition, they just wanted to survive.”

Interesting read.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2014, 02:26 PM
RE: Paleo Diet Debunked
In 3, 2, 1...

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 2 users Like undergroundp's post
12-06-2014, 02:28 PM
(12-06-2014 02:25 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  http://www.sixpackabs.com/paleo-is-the-s...-of-diets/

Quote:Nutrition expert Alan Aragon summed up paleo pretty nicely in an interview I did with him. He said the paleo diet, which is really just a form of low-carb dieting that its advocates presume our Stone Age, hunter-gatherer ancestors ate, is just another fad. “Paleo philosophy is wrong on a couple of different levels,” he told me. “They say our ancestors didn’t eat grains, and therefore we shouldn’t eat grains. First, our ancestors did eat grains. There is also the logical error that if our ancestors didn’t eat something we shouldn’t either. Well, our ancestors didn’t concern themselves with optimal nutrition, they just wanted to survive.”

Interesting read.

Always nice to be vindicated.

"Paleo" is clearly a fad diet; what is good in it is not unique, and what is unique to it is baseless.

... this is my signature!
12-06-2014, 05:41 PM
But I lost weight using it. The diet is great in losing weight and energy but they are right to say that it is not picture perfect, nor that cave man ate that way.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
12-06-2014, 05:59 PM
(12-06-2014 05:41 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  But I lost weight using it. The diet is great in losing weight and energy but they are right to say that it is not picture perfect, nor that cave man ate that way.

Low carb diets do work especially if you are insulin resistant or type 2 diabetic. But that has nothing to do with paleo anything. And the more undigestable starches you can ingest the greater the rate of weight loss. Still, nothing paleo about it.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
12-06-2014, 06:02 PM
(12-06-2014 05:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-06-2014 05:41 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  But I lost weight using it. The diet is great in losing weight and energy but they are right to say that it is not picture perfect, nor that cave man ate that way.

Low carb diets do work especially if you are insulin resistant or type 2 diabetic. But that has nothing to do with paleo anything. And the more undigestable starches you can ingest the greater the rate of weight loss. Still, nothing paleo about it.

This is true. Really I do it because it benfits me, that and I am not a big fan of legumes and grains anyway.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
12-06-2014, 06:11 PM
(12-06-2014 05:41 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  But I lost weight using it.

Up your game, PF. That's not a skeptical attitude.

Some peoples' symptoms improve with homeopathy.

(12-06-2014 05:41 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  The diet is great in losing weight and energy but they are right to say that it is not picture perfect, nor that cave man ate that way.

I can certainly believe that you paying more attention to your diet (any diet!) helped you lose weight.

The foundational premise of "paleo" is nonsensical. I repeat: the good is not unique, and the unique is not good.

[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
12-06-2014, 06:17 PM
(12-06-2014 06:11 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(12-06-2014 05:41 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  But I lost weight using it.

Up your game, PF. That's not a skeptical attitude.

Some peoples' symptoms improve with homeopathy.

(12-06-2014 05:41 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  The diet is great in losing weight and energy but they are right to say that it is not picture perfect, nor that cave man ate that way.

I can certainly believe that you paying more attention to your diet (any diet!) helped you lose weight.

The foundational premise of "paleo" is nonsensical. I repeat: the good is not unique, and the unique is not good.

Really so eating meats and fruits mostly will not help you lose weight?

12-06-2014, 06:19 PM
(12-06-2014 06:17 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Really so eating meats and fruits mostly will not help you lose weight?

Dude, "paleo" is not "eating meats and fruits mostly". That's some insane spin right there.

Losing weight is fundamentally simple: calories in, calories out. Which is greater?

I already said the fad at least has some positive elements. But those are precisely the non-fad parts of it.

[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
12-06-2014, 06:33 PM
(12-06-2014 06:19 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(12-06-2014 06:17 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Really so eating meats and fruits mostly will not help you lose weight?

Dude, "paleo" is not "eating meats and fruits mostly". That's some insane spin right there.

Losing weight is fundamentally simple: calories in, calories out. Which is greater?

I already said the fad at least has some positive elements. But those are precisely the non-fad parts of it.

So wait, it is only calories?