Paleo diet.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2014, 06:24 AM
Paleo diet.
Eat like a caveman. Is there anything to this? It seems to make sence and I'm tempted to try for shits and giggles. Except beer. I ain't giving up beer!
Has anyone tried this? Any advise...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2014, 07:16 AM
RE: Paleo diet.
(11-10-2014 06:24 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Eat like a caveman. Is there anything to this? It seems to make sence and I'm tempted to try for shits and giggles. Except beer. I ain't giving up beer!
Has anyone tried this? Any advise...

There was a thread on this a while ago; if I recall, the general feel of participants was that it's little more than a fad diet.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
11-10-2014, 07:50 AM
The bones of the diet are good and it works to lose weight and feel good without cravings. It cuts out some stuff unnecessarily so it can ride on being "Paleo" and be popular.

Basically it's a low carb diet, no processed foods including refined sugars, and no starches.

Based on that, it works.

PS. Beer will ruin it - but wine is not so bad, and hard liquor is ok.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
11-10-2014, 07:54 AM
Seems kinda silly, do you see any woolly mammoths running around?

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
11-10-2014, 07:56 AM
(11-10-2014 07:54 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Seems kinda silly, do you see any woolly mammoths running around?

No, but you see us running around and we evolved on that diet. Woolies didn't eat that way anyway.

It's heavy on meat and veggies.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
11-10-2014, 08:04 AM
The premise of the paleodiet is incorrect, and so is the method.

Firstly; a caveman would not have access to foods from all the four corners of the earth, or anything farmed.

Secondly; even if a caveman had access to the entire world's food supply he'd probably stick to what he knew best anyway: the almost exclusively meat based diet that people generally lived on before farming became common.

The diet itself isn't really bad for you, and might be worth trying, but it's certainly nothing close to being 'paleo', probably needs a new name Tongue

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
[+] 1 user Likes Cetaceaphile's post
11-10-2014, 08:05 AM
(11-10-2014 06:24 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Eat like a caveman. Is there anything to this?

I've seen a lot of conflicting information about this. The popular image of Og and family sitting around the fire eating only leg o'mammoth is just wrong. This article seems to sum it up fairly well: http://www.scientificamerican.com/articl...eally-eat/

I've found that cutting carbs, especially bread, and fats and pre-packaged meals has made it a lot easier to keep weight off and I feel better but I haven't eliminated anything completely and will "cheat" from time to time. They key for me has been balance and moderation and not buying into any of the extremes.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
11-10-2014, 08:22 AM
The paleo name is just a gimmick.

The diet itself is sound and works, but there is no reason at all to cut out legumes for instance. You get all the benefits by watching carbs and cutting out processed foods, sugar and starch.

There are two ways to lose weight - cutting calories and cutting carbs.

Some people find one easier to follow, some do well with the other. It depends on what your cravings are.

What they have in common is to cut out sugar.

11-10-2014, 08:27 AM
(11-10-2014 08:22 AM)Dom Wrote:  The paleo name is just a gimmick.

The diet itself is sound and works, but there is no reason at all to cut out legumes for instance. You get all the benefits by watching carbs and cutting out processed foods, sugar and starch.

Some people find one easier to follow, some do well with the other. It depends on what your cravings are.

It seems to me that the most important part is to cut out empty calories.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
11-10-2014, 08:38 AM
(11-10-2014 08:27 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-10-2014 08:22 AM)Dom Wrote:  The paleo name is just a gimmick.

It seems to me that the most important part is to cut out empty calories.

Or empty carbs.