Paleo diet.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2014, 08:50 AM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2014 09:01 AM by Chas.)
RE: Paleo diet.
(11-10-2014 08:38 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(11-10-2014 08:27 AM)Chas Wrote:  It seems to me that the most important part is to cut out empty calories.

Or empty carbs.

Same same.

Oops, I misread that.

Cutting out empty carbs is probably the primary way to cut out empty calories.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
11-10-2014, 08:52 AM
(11-10-2014 08:22 AM)Dom Wrote:  The paleo name is just a gimmick.

The diet itself is sound and works, but there is no reason at all to cut out legumes for instance. You get all the benefits by watching carbs and cutting out processed foods, sugar and starch.

There are two ways to lose weight - cutting calories and cutting carbs.

Some people find one easier to follow, some do well with the other. It depends on what your cravings are.

What they have in common is to cut out sugar.

If this is the concept, I'm not following how this is anyway different than the Atkins diet that seems to have gone out of fashion.. in namesake.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
11-10-2014, 08:55 AM
It's not, really. It's just a low carb diet. It places additional restrictions that are unnecessary.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
11-10-2014, 10:38 AM
Someone remind me again how long those paelos lived (on average), and how much sitting around doing paperwork they did?
Just sayin'...there are other things to consider.

Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, "Yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up must come down, down, down. Amen!" If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.
-- Dan Barker
[+] 1 user Likes 6ball's post
11-10-2014, 11:00 AM
The actual Paleo Diet is a scam designed to get you to buy their overpriced supplements and food. Breaking away from the scam it is a gussied up low carb diet (with all the negatives those entail) that is slightly more restrictive. It is not a sound nutritional plan but you will lose weight. Granted the same can be said for starving yourself.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
11-10-2014, 01:41 PM
Quote:Eat like a caveman. Is there anything to this?

Of course, few of them lived to be 30 so the benefits seem decidedly minimal.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
11-10-2014, 02:34 PM
(11-10-2014 01:41 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:Eat like a caveman. Is there anything to this?

Of course, few of them lived to be 30 so the benefits seem decidedly minimal.

To be fair though disease, weather, infection and animals probably had a vast amount more to do with that than the food. Although when 95% of what you eat it meat maybe that causes problems; but when you spend all day running around and climbing, and the lack of starch foods, sugars and chemical rearing techniques, does it do the same damage we see in exclusive meat eaters today?

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
11-10-2014, 02:42 PM
(11-10-2014 11:00 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  The actual Paleo Diet is a scam designed to get you to buy their overpriced supplements and food. Breaking away from the scam it is a gussied up low carb diet (with all the negatives those entail) that is slightly more restrictive. It is not a sound nutritional plan but you will lose weight. Granted the same can be said for starving yourself.

People seem to think I'm looking to drop weight. Not the case. I'm interested in being more healthy. I tend to eat a little junk and probably too much deep fried food. I'm getting older as we all are and I don't want age to catch up with me.
But anyway I'm not following you. Why would I buy supplements or specially packaged food (I assume that what you mean by their food)?
Fruit cost the same regardless of your diet. The same goes for veggies. Spices? The same. Fish and meat? My freezer is usually full of wild meat. No worries there. Nuts and berries? I eat them anyway.
Couldn't a person get all they need from these foods?
11-10-2014, 02:46 PM
(11-10-2014 02:42 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(11-10-2014 11:00 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  The actual Paleo Diet is a scam designed to get you to buy their overpriced supplements and food. Breaking away from the scam it is a gussied up low carb diet (with all the negatives those entail) that is slightly more restrictive. It is not a sound nutritional plan but you will lose weight. Granted the same can be said for starving yourself.

People seem to think I'm looking to drop weight. Not the case. I'm interested in being more healthy. I tend to eat a little junk and probably too much deep fried food. I'm getting older as we all are and I don't want age to catch up with me.
But anyway I'm not following you. Why would I buy supplements or specially packaged food (I assume that what you mean by their food)?
Fruit cost the same regardless of your diet. The same goes for veggies. Spices? The same. Fish and meat? My freezer is usually full of wild meat. No worries there. Nuts and berries? I eat them anyway.

The people that came up with the diet are the ones using it to push their Paleo products.

As to the loosing weight that is really the only benefit to the Paleo diet as it is not really good nutritionally.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
11-10-2014, 02:59 PM
(11-10-2014 02:46 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(11-10-2014 02:42 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  People seem to think I'm looking to drop weight. Not the case. I'm interested in being more healthy. I tend to eat a little junk and probably too much deep fried food. I'm getting older as we all are and I don't want age to catch up with me.

The people that came up with the diet are the ones using it to push their Paleo products.

As to the loosing weight that is really the only benefit to the Paleo diet as it is not really good nutritionally.

I see. I was under the impression that paleo was about healthy eating.
It seems to me though that the foods I listed above are healthy. (Although in camp I don't get wild meat but I'm not sure there's much of a difference beside taste.)
I'm not likely to fall for supplements or special foods I'm just think it might be a good idea to go more natural (for lack of a better word). There must be health benefits to that. Yes? I dunno.