Paleo story of the week

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
03-09-2013, 12:56 PM
RE: Paleo story of the week
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/201...214559.htm

If you have ever heard of the Terror Birds, you have certainly heard how they were fearsome top predators during their day. Well...no (potentially). They may have only been a terror to plants as it turns out (using calcium isotopes which are foreign to me so I won't attempt any detail about that). So, T. rex may have had feathers and Terror Birds may have been less terror and more timid. Why do scientists have to go and ruin all the best stories with facts?

Is this place still a shithole run by a dumbass calvinist?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
03-09-2013, 11:02 PM
(03-09-2013 12:56 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/201...214559.htm

If you have ever heard of the Terror Birds, you have certainly heard how they were fearsome top predators during their day. Well...no (potentially). They may have only been a terror to plants as it turns out (using calcium isotopes which are foreign to me so I won't attempt any detail about that). So, T. rex may have had feathers and Terror Birds may have been less terror and more timid. Why do scientists have to go and ruin all the best stories with facts?

Huxley's great quote - "A beautiful hypothesis slayed by an ugly fact."
[+] 2 users Like Swedgen's post
04-09-2013, 12:00 AM
Bet they still gave you all kindsa hell if you disturbed them... by "you" I mean furry squeaky mammal ancestor...
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
19-09-2013, 02:00 PM
4 for this week

How did birds get their wings?
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/201...123613.htm

The gist of this is that forelimb and hind limb development became decoupled from changes in body size. Meaning that hind limb size and forelimb size began to change faster than body size. This differential scaling, allowed for the development of gliding and the adaptation and then subsequent specialization of feathers for use in flight.

Then,
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/201...090545.htm

How well did some of these four-winged dinosaurs fly? Pretty well actually. They were quite efficient as gliders and the hind limb wings as well as the tail wings (or at least tail feathers), didn't play too much of a role (and perhaps the reason these features were lost).

Switch gears to the origin of life on Earth and
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/201...134341.htm

Could life have been the product of extraterrestrial material? Not a new idea but one lab may have recreated some amino acids from impacts of meteorite-like material and ice.

After the building blocks for life are on Earth, how did life develop and does the RNA-world idea make sense?
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/201...185848.htm

A complete RNA-world model may not be enough to explain the development of life. But a Peptide-RNA world could. Biochemists have managed to recreate enzymes that may be accurate representations of the earliest enzymes on the planet. Even cooler than that? This suggests that the enzymes may have existed before life, and this is what would have made it possible for the reactions necessary for life to exist.

Your ancestral chemical?

08-10-2013, 11:41 AM
I am putting this here rather than in a new thread because I am not trying to make some last big "fuck you" to anyone. Just an honest post to those on the forum I care about. First and foremost, I enjoyed the bulk of my time on the forum and do hold numerous fond memories. I have learned much and grown as a person because of the time I have spent on TTA. But perhaps I stayed too long and have now found myself too jaded to stay.

I came to TTA because I needed a community of freethinkers, skeptics, and (primarily) atheists to talk to and communicate with. I had been steadily consuming podcasts as I worked in the lab and after stumbling on Seth's podcast, learned of the forum. What I found was exactly what I needed. A community of atheists talking about their expierences, sharing stories and news articles, and yes, the occasional theist to converse with. I came for the atheism and stayed because of the community. There are numerous forums out there I could have chosen (and some I tried out in due time), but TTA remained unique because it promoted free speech and free inquiry above all other "rules." It was a community ran by the community and policed by the community. If you had issue with someone or did not like what they had to say, that was your problem and not the forum's. It was on you to ignore them, not to throw a tantrum demanding they be banned or a subject outlawed. The popular tagline that "this may not be the forum for you" was used as a way of communicating the fact that you had to resolve your own problems, like an adult. But that changed, and perhaps it is my fault for expecting it not to and staying after it was apparent that the forum was not going back to the way it was.

Like I said, I came for the atheism and stayed because a community of atheists is not something I can interact with anywhere other than on a forum (both because of time constraints and because they are very few and far between). I did not realize that at any point in the future, a theist would be selected to run the forum. Or that Seth would abandon the idea of TTA being a community so that he could impose his wishes upon the community, and especially not that a theist would be the instrument of his policies. I am not saying that theists should be shunned or prohibited from being members of the TTA community, but to place one in control of the forum is a hypocritical statement.

In short, TTA isn't a community-ran forum any longer. It is now a forum that has had an exacto-knife taken to it to outline who is and is not acceptable to be a part of it and what is and isn't okay to have a dialogue about. It is an online community that would be better served to remove "atheist" from its title and in its place, call it the "Seth Andrews Fan Club Forum." Free speech and free inquiry are no longer the way the forum operates, they are now liabilities. And I don't simply mean in regards to the rules, I also mean that the forum has migrated to a point where the bulk of the community seeks to mock and insult those that they disagree with, no matter the subject. I & I is not my favorite poster, but the level of abuse he endures instead of genuine inquiry is astounding. Ignore him if you wish, but to seek him out to insult is childish and pedantic. Several "trolls" get the same response. I don't know who is and isn't a troll, I don't posses such cognitive abilities, but neither does anyone else. If they appear to be a troll, ignore them and move on. Forum members (such as muffs) are applauded strictly for the insults they hurl, while any member that hurls them back is looked at as a "troll." Is it any wonder that so many get so defensive and treat people the way they have been treated?

I am not innocent in all of this mind you. I have found myself over the course of the last few years waxing and waning from serious attempts at conversation to insult/sarcastic tones. I have tried to remedy that and fear that for a significant portion of my stay I was as much of a part of the problem as anyone else.

Why couldn't I simply excercise my own suggestion to ignore that which I disagree with? Because I disagree with the whole structure of the forum at this point. Because I would never have joined or stayed in the TTA community if it had been this way 2 1/2 years ago. I don't suspect it will change. I am fairly certain of that now. And I will just leave. I will attempt to bow out gracefully and have tried to refrain from insult in this post as well as sarcasm.

For some, I hope to catch you in other forms of social media or on other forums (some of you I have already befriended on FB or another forum. If you want to reconnect, send me a pm whenever). For those of you who would rather hurl insult at me than try to understand or would rather dismiss my concerns instead of addressing them, I hope not to encounter you again (and that brings tears to my eyes to say, it truly does).

Bon Voyage TTA, it has been a pleasure.
Cheers
TBDude
[attachment=1591]

[+] 6 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
08-10-2013, 11:58 AM
I know your struggle well - it is understandable.

We do what we must for ourselves however, I will miss your science postings and just generally seeing you around here. But as you say, we'll run across each other elsewhere. Wink

Cheers, Beardy. Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
08-10-2013, 12:02 PM
Hug I'll miss you. I hope you don't mind if I copy paste some of your cool science posts from FB onto here. Make me look smart and shit. Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 4 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
08-10-2013, 01:12 PM
I will miss your presence and contribution here for as long as I am here. Consider

We had some disagreements and they were always educational. I'll be seeing you elsewhere. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-10-2013, 03:02 PM

Yeah. Cheers man. Sorry to see you go, but if that's the way you feel...
10-10-2013, 11:30 AM
I'm not being sarcastic. I'm being truthful.

I hate to see you go.

That may seem weird coming from me because I'm probably 75% of the reason you're leaving. I understand your reasoning, and I actually understand and respect your point of view. I can step outside and look at it from another point of view.

I can also appreciate your criticism because I never want to be involved in a "circle-jerk", although, they are easy to get lost in. Criticism is key to growing, evolving, and learning as well as a way to better yourself. This doesn't mean that I have to agree with you; however, I can appreciate it.

I truly miss our conversations and friendship we had pre-crisis. You were always a good person to talk to and learn things from. Keep up your resolve and keep fighting for that which you believe in.

I'm going to do the same. If that brings us at odds, so be it. That's just the way it is.

I hope you stick around, though. TTA is a better place with posters such as yourself. If not, take care. No hard feelings on this side, trust me. Thank you for your insight, and good luck in everything you do.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Archeology story of the Week Full Circle 3 306 04-07-2013 07:18 PM
Last Post: KeenIdiot
  International Dark Sky Week Misenhelter 3 271 06-04-2013 08:33 AM
Last Post: Chas
  Story Research (Need Scientific Insight) Misanthropik 12 494 05-04-2013 09:09 PM
Last Post: Misanthropik
  The Story of Electricity Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver 0 268 19-01-2013 04:49 PM
Last Post: Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver