Paleo story of the week

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
29-11-2011, 01:25 PM
RE: Paleo story of the week
http://news.discovery.com/animals/dinosa...11123.html

Not a single fossil but a two-for-one steal! As a matter of fact it is really a three-for-one deal since there are 2 fossils and a fossilized behavior! This is pretty rare and pretty freaking awesome.

Evolve
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2011, 10:20 AM
Not really a story this week but something that relates to another thread about mammoths. The question is, what did T-rex taste like? This is a website by Berkley that is geared more towards kids, but is still entertaining. Essentially it uses the closest relatives of T-rex to lead you towards an answer. Entertaining and perhaps fitting for some recent discussions on the forum.

Evolve
29-12-2011, 02:08 PM
I decided to come back from my brief stint away.
http://news.discovery.com/animals/head-f...11221.html
This article suggests that change first starts or is most heavily concentrated in the head of organisms and that change in body morphology occurs later. I am not sure I buy this and a recent discovery of a new human ancestor (I think I posted it a while back in this thread) seems to suggest that hip evolution permitted an increase in brain size and in this case that would mean body evolution led to a change in head morphology. U. of Chicago is a world-class paleo school but this seems far to general to be of any real use.

Tiktaalik and the other ancestors to terrestrial vertebrates had to evolve limb-like fins before any change in head morphology began, so this too seems to discount this hypothesis. Intriguing but I still don't know if I buy it.

Evolve
29-12-2011, 03:45 PM
(29-12-2011 02:08 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I decided to come back from my brief stint away.
Good to have you back BeadedDude!

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
11-01-2012, 11:44 AM
A short video for my story this week. It is a few years old but relates to the important sequencing of the chimpanzee genome. The video is actually completely devoid of fossils so is a complete sidetrack from the other articles I have posted here, but the man talking explains evidence for the common ancestry of humans and apes without mentioning a single fossil, and the gentleman even makes an interesting claim about himself at the end. Another good example of how evolution makes sense and "intelligent" design is anything but.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi8FfMBYC...ata_player

Evolve
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
12-01-2012, 05:41 PM
(11-01-2012 11:44 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  A short video for my story this week.

Nice, embedded for convenience. Guess I just figured it was already common knowledge that all primates evolved from drunken pentailed tree shrews.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
13-01-2012, 12:18 PM
Fascinating. I'm not an alcoholic, I just evolved this way.

Evolve
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
17-01-2012, 10:28 AM
A new find from Brazil
http://news.discovery.com/animals/ancien...20116.html
A mammal-like reptile. Note the specialized teeth that are indicative of mammal-like organisms.

Evolve
22-04-2012, 03:13 PM
A long absence as a result of being very busy for the last few months.

Here is an article about the oldest known fossilized forest, found in New York State. This is a very impressive find for 2 big reasons. 1) This pushes our understanding of forest ecosystems back even further, giving us a better perspective on evolution. 2) The diversity of this forest was surprisingly high. It wasn't a monoculture, there were several large woody plants instead of only 1 or 2. Very exquisite to find such an ecosystem intact.

Evolve
22-04-2012, 04:11 PM
glad you're back, holy shit, I just opened this thread for the first time today - it looks *awesome* Smile