Pamphlet in Break room

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2016, 01:37 AM
Pamphlet in Break room
"Are ETs & UFO'S Real?"

Publisher: Answers in Genesis.

First sentence after opening paragraph: "The idea of extraterrestrial life stems largely from a belief in evolution."

1. I'm drawing a blank on the fallacy here. Someone call it please.

2. What the actual shit? Really? Why? How? Who? Huh? I guess credibility is out the window.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2016, 01:50 AM
RE: Pamphlet in Break room
Seems like they're conflating abiogenesis or panspermia with evolution..............or something. Not sure what.

It's poisoning the well, an argument from ignorance, an incomplete comparison............

Whatever they're stating, it's about as nutty as anything else those creatards spin.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
01-06-2016, 02:25 AM
1) I don't think conflation is a formal fallacy, though it is the root of category errors. I don't think they're doing that here as much as they are being lazy writers, not pointing out that most who accept evolution also accept some form of abiogenesis.

2) Since when has AiG had credibility to lose?
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
01-06-2016, 05:28 AM
It's like a magician's trick -- through smoke and misdirection - they draw you into the unbelievable, by making something impossible seem like the most likely conclusion....

If they can make you think that evolutionary theory is on par with the whack jobs that flock to Roswell, or hang outside the fence at Area 51, then an invisible sky daddy farting out the universe one Monday morning almost seems reasonable...............

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
01-06-2016, 07:12 AM
(01-06-2016 01:37 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  "Are ETs & UFO'S Real?"

First sentence after opening paragraph: "The idea of extraterrestrial life stems largely from a belief in evolution."

2. What the actual shit? Really? Why? How? Who? Huh? I guess credibility is out the window.

UFO's are real, that is they are flying objects that are unidentified. I've seen several myself and I couldn't identify them, hence unidentified flying object. As far as extra terrestrial life, we know it is possible because it happened once that we know of, here on Earth, and so we can at least tentatively believe in the possibility of life on other planets. After all the universe doesn't ever produce just one of any kind of thing. On the other hand, answers in genesis, we can't even consider your God as a rational possibility and we are fully justified in rejecting your claims on the basis that they violate the primacy of existence and therefore can not be true.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
01-06-2016, 11:41 AM
(01-06-2016 07:12 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(01-06-2016 01:37 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  "Are ETs & UFO'S Real?"

UFO's are real, that is they are flying objects that are unidentified. I've seen several myself and I couldn't identify them, hence unidentified flying object. As far as extra terrestrial life, we know it is possible because it happened once that we know of, here on Earth, and so we can at least tentatively believe in the possibility of life on other planets. After all the universe doesn't ever produce just one of any kind of thing. On the other hand, answers in genesis, we can't even consider your God as a rational possibility and we are fully justified in rejecting your claims on the basis that they violate the primacy of existence and therefore can not be true.

And as Neil Degrasse Tyson pointed out: "once you identify them an alien, you have identified them and they therefore are no longer a UFO."

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
01-06-2016, 12:22 PM
It's hard to define the fallacy since it's difficult to know what the pamphlet had to say about this supposed correlation between UFO sightings, belief in aliens and evolution. First of all it's an argument from ignorance because I doubt the writer of this pamphlet even understands the basics of evolutionary theory or the Drake equation that tries to answer the statistical likelihood of extraterrestrial life existing.

These two concepts have nothing to do with each other, evolutionary theory only deals with the origins of life on our planet, not other planets, we've never been able to fully study life on another planet so how could we correlate them? In that case it's also a straw man.

They are also taking advantage of the fallacy of "begging the question" since they are assuming a conclusion that a belief in evolution will result in a belief in alien life forming on another planet. Just because evolutionary biologists understands why life began on our planet doesn't mean they would know how it could begin on another planet, even if the conditions were nearly identical there's still no reason to know for sure.

I may be wrong about these fallacies, like I said it's hard to tell without reading further about why they think these two ideas have anything to do with each other .

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
01-06-2016, 04:11 PM
There's a non sequitur, because ETs and evolution really are not connected afaik.

It could be the beginning of a genetic fallacy if the pamphlet says "A came from B, and B is wrong, so A is wrong too."

It could be the beginning of a straw man, maybe. If a reader accepts the premise you stated, and then the pamphlet attacks ET belief as a way to discredit evolution.

Really I think we need more material to specifically identify what the fallacies are here.

Edit: SitaSky is more thorough above. :-)
01-06-2016, 04:28 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2016 04:39 PM by TSNest.)
I'm not necessarily agreeing with the thought, but I don't think they are arguing that alien life is a logical conclusion of evolution. Rather the idea of natural origins (evolution) as opposed to supernatural (creation story) allows for the existence of life elsewhere.

"If this is all just nature, then why not elsewhere on other planets too?"

Now I need to go puke or shower or something. Answers in Genesis? Yuck!
01-06-2016, 05:33 PM
Quote:1. I'm drawing a blank on the fallacy here. Someone call it please.

It's the Fucktard Xtian Fallacy. It happens when idiots like AiG try to sprinkle their jesus bullshit everywhere.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!