Panera and Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-06-2016, 07:37 AM
Question Panera and Jesus
So this is also an introduction post. I've been listening to Seth's podcast for a little over a year now.

I travel extensively for my job and tend to grab Panera for breakfast since I like their food and coffee (free refills!). I travel through TN, AR, MS, LA, TX, and OK. I h ave noticed a constant theme at Panera, and this is perhaps not contained to the areas where I travel, and that is the fellowship / testimonial breakfast meetups among Christians. Almost every time I am at a Panera in the morning, there is a small group (or two) of mostly middle age and older people talking Jesus.

What strikes me as funny, is how easy it is to pick them out without even looking at them, or even being able to hear their conversation clearly. There is something in the tone and cadence with which they speak that says "Jesus!" loudly even if they are not speaking loudly, and I cannot yet discern their words. As I write this I am almost in Seth's backyard (Tulsa). A group nearby that initially seemed to be doing business talk, switched modes and I again heard the rhythm and tone before the big references to J.C. floated over loud and clear.

I've been an atheist since my mid twenties (late 40's now), and was never super religious before. I really have had my eyes opened up to how the conservative Christians really think and talk since listening to TTA.

Anyway, Happy Friday! This silly observation has been needing a place to be let out of my head for a while, and I can't think of a better one than here.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Kroma's post
10-06-2016, 08:16 AM
RE: Panera and Jesus
All I know is that I've been in one of those places once on my trip there and I asked for a toffee nut cookie and got a cherry pastry instead. I mean, I know my accent isn't perfect but seriously, woman?

Totally irrelevant to your post, I know, but welcome to the forum Smile

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 2 users Like undergroundp's post
10-06-2016, 08:22 AM
Very interesting observation. Welcome to TTA.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-06-2016, 10:02 AM
I think the cadence and tone is comforting to them. Welcome!
10-06-2016, 12:07 PM
I usually see writers' groups meeting at Panera.
10-06-2016, 12:32 PM
I usually see my neighborhood kids working there, but never encountered it, also my panera just closed for not getting enough business. If they had a religious circle it'd probably be open

Why must I be Ladd? via da Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
10-06-2016, 03:38 PM
Welcome to TTA! And I'm not surprised, when I was a Baptist, we used to do this thing in Sunday School where on the 5th Sunday of the month, for months that had a fifth Sunday, we'd go out and do brunch at a place like Panera or McDonalds. Sort of a mixture of "special treat" and "evangelizing", with the "evangelizing" being "oh people will hear about Jesus and maybe ask us". In 18 years of Sunday School brunches that never happened.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
10-06-2016, 04:11 PM
Welcome.

Don't they know Chick-fla would be a better home for them?

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
10-06-2016, 05:31 PM
Every time I skim across this thread I see "Pantera and Jesus". Now that's a funny juxtaposition.

[+] 3 users Like skyking's post
10-06-2016, 05:33 PM
Welcome, dude. ^v^

☆☆☆