Paradoxes, time travel, logic traps, and other random deep thoughts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2011, 01:33 PM
RE: Paradoxes, time travel, logic traps, and other random deep thoughts
(03-06-2011 04:10 AM)yongkykun Wrote:  I would think that if we were to invent a time machine, what happens is our conciousness will be transfered to our old self which means that it will be restricted to only your lifetime. It sounds ridiculous because time travel is, at least for the time being, a ridiculous idea.

It sounds very unscientific to me.

Here's a possibility of what happens when we time travel, supposing we can at all.
MAybe if time is really like a space dimension probably if we went back we would find nothing. Why? Because we are not there anymore. We have already moved forward in time. Or putting it otherwise: I was at time "X" an hour ago. Now I am at time "X+1h", so if I went back to time "X" I would not find anything because everything has already moved forward an is now at time "X+1h"

..."we can be truly free - not because we can rebel against the the tyranny of the selfish replicators but because we know that there is no one to rebel."
Susan Blackmore : The Meme Machine
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2011, 08:08 PM
(04-06-2011 01:33 PM)TheSelfishGene Wrote:  
(03-06-2011 04:10 AM)yongkykun Wrote:  I would think that if we were to invent a time machine, what happens is our conciousness will be transfered to our old self which means that it will be restricted to only your lifetime. It sounds ridiculous because time travel is, at least for the time being, a ridiculous idea.

It sounds very unscientific to me.

Well of course, I was citing Quantum Leap's plot.
[+] 1 user Likes yongkykun's post
04-06-2011, 09:46 PM

My physics class had a debate on this once. Of course that doesn't lend anything toward the validity of our conclusion, it was merely fun to do. We decided that when someone traveled back in time, they would cause a split in the 'time stream' at that point. The timeline that they had been a part of would diverge and they would be cut off from it forever. They would then be in a new timeline.

This would allow them to travel back in time without invoking any paradoxes since the future they came from had been preserved. They had separated themselves from that space time and inserted themselves into another.
Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2011, 12:10 AM

A question I have about time travel is that if you actually slow down time by going fast enough won't you freeze time forever. There will be a rate of 0 so is it not logically possible.

Or would it be like the event horizon.
Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2011, 03:58 AM
I was watching a Steven Hawking documentary about time and super string theory, and he said the universe will not allow anything that could destroy linear time, such as the mad scientist scenario.
I wonder, by what mechanism does this happen?

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
07-06-2011, 06:41 PM
(07-06-2011 12:10 AM)That sly kid Wrote:  A question I have about time travel is that if you actually slow down time by going fast enough won't you freeze time forever. There will be a rate of 0 so is it not logically possible.

Or would it be like the event horizon.

I think it is implied in Einstein's general theory of relativity. Basically if you were to move faster than the speed of light, everything will "seem" to be frozen over, but you'll have to slow down at some point and be in a different place but you won't be in the future much less the past.
09-06-2011, 04:31 AM
If I put things into most logical point of view, then time travel will never be possible in real world. But if by any chance I am proven wrong and time travel really is possible, then I think it would be like Cube sad, different space will open for every trip back to the past, new timeline.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
09-06-2011, 01:51 PM
And this thread is now owned by time travel lol.

So about time travel, what about the theory that time travel can only be achieved once the machine is invented. Meaning you could only go back in time at the earliest to a time when the machine already exists. Like if it was a stargate. which would be why we haven't seen any time travelers yet. It's an interesting theory which also actually makes sense. Somewhat. You can't open a door to a house that hasn't been built yet, so you wouldn't be able to travel through time unless there was somewhere to come out. I don't know though. I'm not a big believer in time travel, especially in movies because of the grandfather paradox.

How about we talk about the theoretical ability to control matter. That would be sweet. I mean if we could somehow get control of the molecules within our bodies to the point where we could actually tell them what form to take, I could turn into a fricken dinosaur and terrorize cities. Sweet.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
09-06-2011, 02:37 PM
(09-06-2011 01:51 PM)lucradis Wrote:  And this thread is now owned by time travel lol.

I don't mind, as long as people are thinking.

New question: which movie/tv show has been most realistic so far?

We have:

Back to the Future: Use a plutonium fueled nuclear reactor and drive 88 mph in a Delorean. They stay on the same timeline/same dimension so their actions have consequences in their future. But it also doesn't address the Time Travel Conundrum where Marty starts to fade from existence, but if he had not existed, then his parents would have met how they originally met and he still WOULD exist.

Bill and Ted: Travel via a phone booth with an antennae with the help of George Carlin in ridiculous clothing. Can also affect their own future. Time has "tubes" leading to different eras. Like BttF, the time travelers can interact with themselves.

Star Trek: I... never watched Star Trek.

Terminator: Never really addressed HOW they were sent back in time. Time travel is a one way trip and burns your clothes off. Nice ass, Arnold.

Frequency: An aurora borealis allows a son in the future to talk via ham radio to his deceased father in the past and therefore, the son can warn his father about the day of his death (I love this movie).

...there are too many time travel movies. Here's a list.

And as far as entering a new dimension by killing a butterfly, consequently beginning to exist in a dimension where the butterfly is dead... does that mean that the time traveler created a new dimension by his actions or did he just enter a dimension that already existed. And how does a person who didn't exist in a dimension suddenly begin to exist in it?

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
09-06-2011, 04:51 PM
To me, this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Ban...ily_Guy%29