Parallel universes ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-07-2013, 12:30 AM
Parallel universes ?
I am a believer in the typical quilted universe, but that the speed of light can in-fact be overreached . Also I believe in a Inflationary-Brane multiverse . These mixed seem to be completely precise and logical for our universe.

" My friends. You bow to no one. " - Aragorn

"A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows. " — Samuel Clemens

Simple....buy low, sell high.

Life in Rivendell is nice .
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-07-2013, 11:42 AM
RE: Parallel universes ?
Do you regularly believe unsubstantiated hypotheses?

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
27-07-2013, 12:02 PM
More evidence is needed on the basis of the "Inflationary-Brane multiverse" in my opinion. Although it may explain things, it still needs overwhelming experimental evidence. Remember Einstein's theory of general relativity, explains so much but needed experimental evidence.

[Image: g-HitchensThinkSelf.gif]
27-07-2013, 12:40 PM
(27-07-2013 12:02 PM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  More evidence is needed on the basis of the "Inflationary-Brane multiverse" in my opinion. Although it may explain things, it still needs overwhelming experimental evidence. Remember Einstein's theory of general relativity, explains so much but needed experimental evidence.

There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that the multiverse hypothesis is correct.

Poonjab
27-07-2013, 01:31 PM
So personally I feel like an infinite-multiverse of some kind is probably the most sensible explanation available to us right now...I wouldn't say that I believe in it, but it is fun to think about...and it can probably never be proven so w/e.

When you think about it from a philosophical angle though if all possible universes exist in a multiverse it takes away the need for creation, everything and nothing exists all at once. The only thing that is real is possibility.

...Or maybe I got into Stark's stash.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-07-2013, 01:34 PM
Not this shit again... Dodgy

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
27-07-2013, 01:41 PM
(27-07-2013 01:34 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Not this shit again... Dodgy

Yeah, the thread leaked in from a parallel universe. Blink

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
27-07-2013, 01:52 PM
The infinite universe, multiverse, or extra dimensional stuff is a fun way to think about the cosmos.

Some of those ideas would indeed wrap up some mathematical issues, but until it's proven it is simply fun to think about.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
27-07-2013, 01:54 PM
(27-07-2013 12:40 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(27-07-2013 12:02 PM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  More evidence is needed on the basis of the "Inflationary-Brane multiverse" in my opinion. Although it may explain things, it still needs overwhelming experimental evidence. Remember Einstein's theory of general relativity, explains so much but needed experimental evidence.

There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that the multiverse hypothesis is correct.

Yeah I remember a time when I tried to read up on string theory and multiverse explanations. They sounded complex, interesting and super enthralling. Of course, I enjoyed talking about them.

However, I'm not a physicist. The more I read into it and tried to understand any bit of math, the more I realized, "Wow, this shit is a lot more complicated than I have the current capability of understanding." I went back and tried to read the articles I enjoyed reading and realized... no one really has any good evidence for this stuff yet.

Of course, since I found it so insanely awesome and fun and interesting, it was enticing.

Fuckin' confirmation bias, always gotta ruin my fun.

Now I'm quite alright with reading stuff skeptically as it comes along instead of listening to articles about stuff. Any time someone says, "I personally believe that theory blah blah blah" I pretty much shut off listening after that because unless they are a theoretical physicist studying it, their personal opinion on the matter means jack shit.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
27-07-2013, 01:57 PM
(27-07-2013 01:54 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Yeah I remember a time when I tried to read up on string theory and multiverse explanations. They sounded complex, interesting and super enthralling. Of course, I enjoyed talking about them.

However, I'm not a physicist. The more I read into it and tried to understand any bit of math, the more I realized, "Wow, this shit is a lot more complicated than I have the current capability of understanding." I went back and tried to read the articles I enjoyed reading and realized... no one really has any good evidence for this stuff yet.

Of course, since I found it so insanely awesome and fun and interesting, it was enticing.

Fuckin' confirmation bias, always gotta ruin my fun.

Now I'm quite alright with reading stuff skeptically as it comes along instead of listening to articles about stuff. Any time someone says, "I personally believe that theory blah blah blah" I pretty much shut off listening after that because unless they are a theoretical physicist studying it, their personal opinion on the matter means jack shit.

Theoretical mathematics demonstrating the possibility of there being parallel universes is absolutely meaningless. We simply cannot gather the data needed to even make the multiverse concept anything but a hypothesis. It is a cool idea, but it is definitely not deserving of the label "scientific theory".

Poonjab
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post