Parallel universes ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-07-2013, 01:59 PM
RE: Parallel universes ?
(27-07-2013 01:57 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(27-07-2013 01:54 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Yeah I remember a time when I tried to read up on string theory and multiverse explanations. They sounded complex, interesting and super enthralling. Of course, I enjoyed talking about them.

However, I'm not a physicist. The more I read into it and tried to understand any bit of math, the more I realized, "Wow, this shit is a lot more complicated than I have the current capability of understanding." I went back and tried to read the articles I enjoyed reading and realized... no one really has any good evidence for this stuff yet.

Of course, since I found it so insanely awesome and fun and interesting, it was enticing.

Fuckin' confirmation bias, always gotta ruin my fun.

Now I'm quite alright with reading stuff skeptically as it comes along instead of listening to articles about stuff. Any time someone says, "I personally believe that theory blah blah blah" I pretty much shut off listening after that because unless they are a theoretical physicist studying it, their personal opinion on the matter means jack shit.

Theoretical mathematics demonstrating the possibility of there being parallel universes is absolutely meaningless. We simply cannot gather the data needed to even make the multiverse hypothesis any but. A hypothesis. It is a cool idea, but it is definitely not deserving of the label "scientific theory".

Totally agree. That is where it ends up getting interesting because of interesting possibilities. But evidence and proof of such things? EH, hardly, we haven't got anything for that.

Although I am looking forward to when they are going to use multiple telescopes to try and image the lensing effect of a black hole.. THAT will be potentially cool.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-07-2013, 10:51 PM (This post was last modified: 27-07-2013 11:57 PM by WeasleyFromTheShire.)
(27-07-2013 11:42 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Do you regularly believe unsubstantiated hypotheses?

As others have said, it is "fun" to discuss and HYPOTHESIZE about these ideas, and yes believe some are feasible. We don't have the ability to use mathematics in a fashion to even test this.

" My friends. You bow to no one. " - Aragorn

"A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows. " — Samuel Clemens

Simple....buy low, sell high.

Life in Rivendell is nice .
27-07-2013, 10:55 PM
(27-07-2013 01:59 PM)Logisch Wrote:  
(27-07-2013 01:57 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Theoretical mathematics demonstrating the possibility of there being parallel universes is absolutely meaningless. We simply cannot gather the data needed to even make the multiverse hypothesis any but. A hypothesis. It is a cool idea, but it is definitely not deserving of the label "scientific theory".

Totally agree. That is where it ends up getting interesting because of interesting possibilities. But evidence and proof of such things? EH, hardly, we haven't got anything for that.

Although I am looking forward to when they are going to use multiple telescopes to try and image the lensing effect of a black hole.. THAT will be potentially cool.

Thanks for understanding. I think we will never know for sure what is beyond the black.

" My friends. You bow to no one. " - Aragorn

"A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows. " — Samuel Clemens

Simple....buy low, sell high.

Life in Rivendell is nice .
28-07-2013, 06:11 PM
(27-07-2013 12:30 AM)WeasleyFromTheShire Wrote:  I am a believer in the typical quilted universe, but that the speed of light can in-fact be overreached . Also I believe in a Inflationary-Brane multiverse . These mixed seem to be completely precise and logical for our universe.
Yes, I think it is fun to ponder such questions, to come up with ideas even if they are unsubstantiated.
My thoughts are less around current theories but are more around autonomous processes.
Our universe has at least hundreds of billions of galaxies, why not just one?
There are at least approximately 3 x 10^24 stars in our universe, why not just one?
There are at least 6,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets in the visible universe but the actual answer is likely to be much more, why not just one?

If something is possible then it seems that it is probable and almost certainly repeatable and in abundance.
If we consider our Universe to be all the matter and energy, time and space that resulted from the expansion of a "Big Bang" then I certainly have to ask, "Why would there only be one "Big Bang". To me it seems rather awkward, if there is only one Universe. I suspect there is a number that is close to an infinite.
Can I prove it? - No
Do I have evidence to suggest there is more than one universe? - No
Will there ever be evidence to suggest either one or more universes? - Don't know

But if there are multiple universes it raises some interesting questions.
Is it possible to travel from one Universe to another or do they only inhibit discrete bubbles of existence?
Is there a Euclidean styled three dimensional geometry system such that at some three dimensional coordinate is one universe and at another three dimensional coordinate is another universe?
Or do universes exist within different dimensions?
Does our universe exist at all, or is it merely a possible uncollapsed wave function (along the lines of a hybrid of Copenhagen Interpretation, and Many worlds interpretation)

Certainly it is very interesting to think about and allows a person to use their creativity and to dream, but it may be a futile search as we may never know.
29-07-2013, 06:22 AM
I think Pure Number is more interesting, but I cannot articulate it well...

But here's a fb link that showed up in my timeline you proponents may find interesting:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...487&type=1

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-07-2013, 09:43 AM
(27-07-2013 10:51 PM)WeasleyFromTheShire Wrote:  As others have said, it is "fun" to discuss and HYPOTHESIZE about these ideas, and yes believe some are feasible. We don't have the ability to use mathematics in a fashion to even test this.

If you cannot prove them, why do you believe them to be true?

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab