Paranoia.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-08-2013, 07:05 AM (This post was last modified: 27-08-2013 03:23 PM by bemore.)
Paranoia.
I have created a new detective type game, which is simpler than the mafia games and I am posting it now as I see no reason why the two games cannot run side by side.

How it works.

The game will consist of innocents and one secret killer. There will be day and night phases/turns and depending upon peoples actions clues can be attained through each murder. It is up to the individual/group to assimilate these clues to decide who is the murderer.

Everybody will be given an identity that will be posted publicly and it is through these details that the clues will be associated with. This is an example of an identity...

Name: Frank
Eye colour: Blue.
Height: 6ft
Weight: 15 stone/210 pounds.
Nationality: English.
Left or right handed: Left.
Tattoos: Yes.
Scars: None.
Basic clothing description: Black top, blue jeans, white trainers.

These are some basic traits that may be unique but can also be shared with others in the group (like you might have three English people in the game) so it is an ongoing process of elimination.

How innocents operate in the game.

Innocents have three powers, two at night and one day time one.

Night time actions.

Sleep: The innocent will sleep well and if a murder occurs will immediately wake up refreshed and be able to give a cohesive account of what they saw happen in the aftermath. They will be able to give clues. However sleeping is dangerous because if they are targeted by the killer they will die.

OR

Paranoia: The innocent will try to stay awake for as long as possible. If a murder occurs they will not be able to give an account nor any clues to what they saw happen as it will all be hazy. However they will be protected by any attempt on their life by the killer.

(So it is a balancing act. Do you wish to risk your life in obtaining clues for the group or do you wish to protect yourself?)

Day time actions:

Accuse/Kill somebody: The innocent may at any time in the game decide to kill another person who they think is the Killer. This is an ability that can only be used once and is the equivalent of lynching in the mafia games. The positive side to this is you may be correct, however if you are wrong you would of killed an innocent and will then forfeit your night actions, never be able to gather clues and will always be open to being killed by the Killer.

Kill attempts from innocents need to be declared publicly on the main game thread in the day phase.

How the Killer operates within the game.

The killer has no day actions however has two night actions.

Kill: Self explanatory. The killer will attempt to murder the person and dependent on if they are sleeping or not will decide if they are successful.

OR

Remove/Tamper with evidence: The killer can choose to not attempt to kill anybody but can either remove completely one piece of any evidence or to change the details of one piece of evidence.

I have tried to explain the rules as simply as I can and I appreciate there may be some questions on how this will operate. If anybody has any questions then please ask Smile

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like bemore's post
25-08-2013, 08:05 AM
RE: Paranoia.
How can you remove or tamper with evidence as the killer? Once data on a kill has been publicly revealed you cant put the toothpaste back in the tube...

The mechanics of how that would work is?

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
25-08-2013, 08:27 AM
I'm in.

I'm curious as to how a sleeping person can 'see' what happens. Unless you mean by 'aftermath' they can give a report about a crime scene rather than being a witness to the crime actually being committed. Is that what you mean?

If one chooses 'paranoia' over consecutive nights, does the haziness accumulate towards delirium? That would be amusing.

And I think that technically, 'sleep' is a night inaction.

And to clarify, I suggest adding the word 'or' between the paragraphs regarding 'sleep' and 'paranoia'.

As this is a new creation, do you want to do a test run?

25-08-2013, 08:46 AM
(25-08-2013 08:05 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  How can you remove or tamper with evidence as the killer? Once data on a kill has been publicly revealed you cant put the toothpaste back in the tube...

I would assume (carefully since we know what that can lead to) the tampered evidence would be a new piece rather than one already known. So any night someone isn't murdered is the evidence from that night false or did the killer target a paranoid player?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
25-08-2013, 08:55 AM
(25-08-2013 08:05 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  How can you remove or tamper with evidence as the killer? Once data on a kill has been publicly revealed you cant put the toothpaste back in the tube...

The killer can PM me what they want to happen to the evidence as a night action. They can choose which particular statement to have deleted or which statement they want changing (these are existing statements of evidence from previous night actions)

The innocents will need to keep a careful track on the evidence as potentially the killer could edit a statement to set somebody else up.

I will then privately request a Mod/admin who is not participating in the game to edit the post.

(25-08-2013 08:27 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I'm in.

I'm curious as to how a sleeping person can 'see' what happens. Unless you mean by 'aftermath' they can give a report about a crime scene rather than being a witness to the crime actually being committed. Is that what you mean?

If one chooses 'paranoia' over consecutive nights, does the haziness accumulate towards delirium? That would be amusing.

And to clarify, I suggest adding the word 'or' between the paragraphs regarding 'sleep' and 'paranoia'.

I agree with you DLJ and I was kind of stuck as to what title to give the actions. What I wanted to do was make a process of risk and gamble. If an innocent decides to gather evidence for the group they then put themselves at risk of being murdered, however they can protect themselves and not contribute to the evidence gathering.

This is also a gamble for the Killer. S/he does not know who is sleeping and who is being paranoid.

I shall take your advice and add the or for clarity. I don't mind doing a test run as this will show everybody how it operates. I'm thinking I will need a minimum of 6 people to make it worthwhile though

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
25-08-2013, 10:00 AM
(25-08-2013 08:55 AM)bemore Wrote:  

The killer can PM me what they want to happen to the evidence as a night action. They can choose which particular statement to have deleted or which statement they want changing (these are existing statements of evidence from previous night actions)

The innocents will need to keep a careful track on the evidence as potentially the killer could edit a statement to set somebody else up.

I will then privately request a Mod/admin who is not participating in the game to edit the post.

I agree with you DLJ and I was kind of stuck as to what title to give the actions. What I wanted to do was make a process of risk and gamble. If an innocent decides to gather evidence for the group they then put themselves at risk of being murdered, however they can protect themselves and not contribute to the evidence gathering.

This is also a gamble for the Killer. S/he does not know who is sleeping and who is being paranoid.

I shall take your advice and add the or for clarity. I don't mind doing a test run as this will show everybody how it operates. I'm thinking I will need a minimum of 6 people to make it worthwhile though

It sounds interesting enough to give it a go.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
25-08-2013, 10:36 AM
Man this sounds really interesting. I want to play. If you want, I'll try to get more people to check this out. Smile
25-08-2013, 10:38 AM
Im in

KC IS A LIAR!!!! HE PROMISED ME VANILLA CAKES AND GAVE ME STRAWBERRY CAKE Weeping
25-08-2013, 11:00 AM
Will the evidence be sent publicly to everyone, or through PMs? And if so, will they get DIFFERENT types of evidence? Like, if I sleep, and I get a PM stating the evidence, can I assume that the PM I got was sent to everybody, so they have the exact information I have, or will the information I get be different from anybody else?

Also, when the killer tampers evidence, I assuming that there is no way to tell of there is tampered evidence?

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
25-08-2013, 11:20 AM (This post was last modified: 25-08-2013 11:26 AM by ELK12695.)
(25-08-2013 08:55 AM)bemore Wrote:  

I could be in for this. However, a question, say that the killer attempts to kill a person in the paranoid state, is there any other consequences than just an unsuccessful kill? Does it leave (more since the person was awake) evidence? Or is it so that even an person that is in paranoid mode is unable to bring forth any evidence, even if he or she is targeted for the kill in a turn?

[Image: garbage-day-o.gif]