Paranormal Shtuff

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2013, 11:00 PM
Paranormal Shtuff
So, as some of you already know, I recently deconverted from Christianity, but am still in the stage of not necessarily knowing what I believe. I'd consider myself agnostic at this point, where I can't say for sure that I don't believe in a god, but I also don't believe in the Christian God anyway. Its caused me alot of personal anxiety, trying to figure out what I believe and the rift it causes between me and my super-conservative family.

Anyway, on to the point...

I've always been a huge horror movie fan, and also big into paranormal investigation shows like Ghost Hunters and such.

Now though, every time I watch the shows, I wonder how reports of paranormal activity really mesh with the realm of atheism vs. theism.

Just tonight, I watched The Conjuring (which was pretty decent imo), but it, like all other paranormal stuff I watch, just makes me question everything even more.

I mean, reports of paranormal incidents are poorly document at best, and are always subject to tons of scrutiny and controversy. However, there are tons of accounts out there of possessions, hauntings, exorcisms, and on.

What does everyone here think of paranormal accounts? Especially the part of the paranormal that lines up with the Christian faith, like demonic possession and the Vatican's involvement with exorcisms.

Personally, I've never subscribed to any of it, just because Im a "see-it-to-believe-it" person, but it just really throws a wrench in the gears of belief when you factor in supernatural events.

Sorry for the ramble, and its tough to really place my thoughts, just want some opinions.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-11-2013, 11:10 PM
RE: Paranormal Shtuff
(29-11-2013 11:00 PM)Jasozz Wrote:  ...
I'd consider myself agnostic at this point, where I can't say for sure that I don't believe ...

The terms 'gnostic' and 'agnostic' relate to knowledge, not belief.

(29-11-2013 11:00 PM)Jasozz Wrote:  ...
What does everyone here think of paranormal accounts?

OK, speaking for everyone here... extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
29-11-2013, 11:41 PM
I used to believe in ghosts and all that crap. Ghost hunters was my favorite, I liked the idea of them going in there to disprove a haunting then I see all this tech the bring in. At first they were small time, just bunch of plumbers. Then they have these fleets of vans and high tech computers and cameras and a fucking thermal that ranges to $3000. What is the evidence these gadgets pick up ghostly activity? Its anecdotal at best. Also the way they react to the noises or sightings..they seem so fake. Think they were caught faking once also.
Learn about what EVPs and video. You'll see it isn't as impressive as you might think. Ever notice how EVPs only sound like intelligible words when someone tells you what to listen for? yeah...
Atheists are all over the place, they can still be kooks.

Oh and really? exorcism? I thought the church stopped that shit a while ago at least nothing offical anyway.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
29-11-2013, 11:42 PM
First, I don't think anybody should get their information from fiction or from a bunch of guys running around with cameras and equipment who never seem to get any substantial information. Tongue

(29-11-2013 11:00 PM)Jasozz Wrote:  What does everyone here think of paranormal accounts? Especially the part of the paranormal that lines up with the Christian faith, like demonic possession and the Vatican's involvement with exorcisms.

What about possession and exorcisms? Is there anything to demonstrate they are real?

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
29-11-2013, 11:43 PM
I can relate to what the OP is going through. I went through the same thing when first transitioning to disbelief. Lot's of confusion in the beginning of the journey. I've been an atheist for about a decade now. Before that, I was a Christian for decades, and from a very young age.

Religious indoctrination and influence, lends itself to that type of thinking....the belief in superstitious and supernatural realms. It will take some time to undo all that. There are layers upon layers to peel away.
[+] 1 user Likes TheBear's post
29-11-2013, 11:45 PM
(29-11-2013 11:42 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  First, I don't think anybody should get their information from fiction or from a bunch of guys running around with cameras and equipment who never seem to get any substantial information. Tongue

(29-11-2013 11:00 PM)Jasozz Wrote:  What does everyone here think of paranormal accounts? Especially the part of the paranormal that lines up with the Christian faith, like demonic possession and the Vatican's involvement with exorcisms.

What about possession and exorcisms? Is there anything to demonstrate they are real?

No, not really, and from what I understand, there aren't any that are actually documented well.

It just strikes me as odd that its something that has any involvement at all with the Catholic church.

Also, are possessions and such something that only "happen" in Western culture? For example, are there these incredible claims of speaking in tongues and such in cultures that aren't Christian? I've never heard of any cases of people carving crosses in themselves or anything in any other cultures other than those influenced by Catholic/Christian religion.
29-11-2013, 11:46 PM
(29-11-2013 11:43 PM)TheBear Wrote:  I can relate to what the OP is going through. I went through the same thing when first transitioning to disbelief. Lot's of confusion in the beginning of the journey. I've been an atheist for about a decade now. Before that, I was a Christian for decades, and from a very young age.

Religious indoctrination and influence, lends itself to that type of thinking....the belief in superstitious and supernatural realms. It will take some time to undo all that. There are layers upon layers to peel away.

Thanks. Glad to hear someone knows what Im getting at Smile
29-11-2013, 11:49 PM
I think Shinto priests in Japan do exorcisms.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
30-11-2013, 12:23 AM
Honestly, I keep an open mind on things we can't quite sense or comprehend. I've had some pretty unexplainable experiences myself - things I wouldn't believe if someone else had told me they experienced. I think one day we will find a reasonable scientific explanation for psychic experiences and such that we just can't explain with our current knowledge. Has nothing to do with religion, IMO. Posessions I think are bunk. Mental illness = demonic possession, historically.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
30-11-2013, 01:51 AM
(29-11-2013 11:00 PM)Jasozz Wrote:  So, as some of you already know, I recently deconverted from Christianity, but am still in the stage of not necessarily knowing what I believe. I'd consider myself agnostic at this point, where I can't say for sure that I don't believe in a god, but I also don't believe in the Christian God anyway. Its caused me alot of personal anxiety, trying to figure out what I believe and the rift it causes between me and my super-conservative family.

Anyway, on to the point...

I've always been a huge horror movie fan, and also big into paranormal investigation shows like Ghost Hunters and such.

Now though, every time I watch the shows, I wonder how reports of paranormal activity really mesh with the realm of atheism vs. theism.

Just tonight, I watched The Conjuring (which was pretty decent imo), but it, like all other paranormal stuff I watch, just makes me question everything even more.

I mean, reports of paranormal incidents are poorly document at best, and are always subject to tons of scrutiny and controversy. However, there are tons of accounts out there of possessions, hauntings, exorcisms, and on.

What does everyone here think of paranormal accounts? Especially the part of the paranormal that lines up with the Christian faith, like demonic possession and the Vatican's involvement with exorcisms.

Personally, I've never subscribed to any of it, just because Im a "see-it-to-believe-it" person, but it just really throws a wrench in the gears of belief when you factor in supernatural events.

Sorry for the ramble, and its tough to really place my thoughts, just want some opinions.

Well, I haven't had a chance to share these two videos in quite some time. Consider

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post