Paranormal experience & deconversion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-03-2013, 07:23 AM
RE: Paranormal experience & deconversion
(18-03-2013 07:18 PM)crazylikeyou Wrote:  I currently do not know what I believe. The documentary "Religulous" has had me questioning somethings (I'm catholic) and I have been doing various reading on athesim, but that being said....I think the one thing that will make it hardest for me to fall away from faith in an afterlife is an experience I had with an ouiji board in high school. I've tried to research how an atheist might explain away what happened but I'm just having a hard time buying bull like "your twitches move it" (??)

Anyways, I'll never forget how bad the experience freaked me out. It only took a couple of minutes for something to communicate with us. The hand piece started moving quickly. We watched it letter by letter and sounded it out together....I can tell you with 100% percent certainty that our fingers were lightly touching the thing and it was not us that was moving it!

The entity spelled out my name (wrong, too) and told me to go away several times. It also said we would all marry faggots. When we told it to say goodbye it went back and forth N-O N-O N-O several times and when we asked who it was the board spelled out SATAN. It then said HAHAHAHA and finally moved to "goodbye"

Can someone please help explain this to me? While I see that there are inconsistancies in the bible and I'm all for rational thinking I just do not understand this! Are there atheists who believe in ghosts? How else could you explain this?

Of course, Satan doesn't exist, no more than Yahweh, Thor, Zeus, Osiris, Quetzalcoatl, or any other supernatural magical entity.

But, if he did, I note curiously that YOUR version of Satan behaved like a highschool boy. For example, he seems to have skipped the class that teaches him how to spell, he seems immaturely obsessed with the word "faggot", "N-O N-O N-O" is the response of a child, "HAHAHAHA" is also very childish, and finally, in the original texts, his name was Lucifer and his title was Satan (which means "opposer"), so him answering "SATAN" is silly, it would be like asking your doctor who he is and he answers "DOCTOR".

More interestingly, if Satan existed, he's a great deceiver, the Father of Lies, so what's up with his stupid attitude on this silly Ouija board? The Father of Lies would have tricked you, made you think you were dealing with someone you trusted, a deceased relative perhaps, and then fed you misinformation to get you to do his bidding without knowing you were doing his bidding, leading you down into his grasp so that eventually he would own your soul, all without you ever knowing what he was up to. That's what the Father of Lies would do - behaving like a highschool boy is not how he is believed to operate.

His adolescent behavior is all the proof I need (aside from the fact that Satan doesn't exist) that you were only communicating with an adolescent - and as others have mentioned, the adolescent(s) with whom you were communicating were the living, flesh-and-blood humans with their hands on the planchette.

I'm not trying to pick on you or call you childish - I was a teenage boy once, too, and now I look back on my behavior and realize how childish I was at times. We all do. I don't know your age, but if you're not old enough yet to have this introspective retrospective of your teenage years, then know that one day you will, and then you'll appreciate what I've written here much more than you might at this time.

Welcome to the forums, I hope you find the answers you're looking for here.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
19-03-2013, 06:11 PM
Heywood Jahjustleave?
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
19-03-2013, 06:19 PM
(19-03-2013 06:11 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Heywood Jahjustleave?

Now, now, some of us actually enjoy being engaged. There's very little to be learned from people who agree with you. Also, practicing debate makes you better at it (if you're interested in that sort of thing).

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-03-2013, 09:26 PM
I'm fine with people showing me why I'm wrong... When I'm wrong.. But sometimes Heywood just reminds me of this clip:

[+] 2 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
20-03-2013, 01:08 AM
(19-03-2013 09:26 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  I'm fine with people showing me why I'm wrong... When I'm wrong.. But sometimes Heywood just reminds me of this clip:

I've never seen you admit you were wrong. However I have done so a couple of times in the short time I have been here.
20-03-2013, 01:41 AM
(20-03-2013 01:08 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(19-03-2013 09:26 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  I'm fine with people showing me why I'm wrong... When I'm wrong.. But sometimes Heywood just reminds me of this clip:

I've never seen you admit you were wrong. However I have done so a couple of times in the short time I have been here.
Oh, like in your probability thread, where you haven't been as stubborn as a mule... I guess I was wrong about you. Blush
20-03-2013, 01:50 AM
(20-03-2013 01:41 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(20-03-2013 01:08 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I've never seen you admit you were wrong. However I have done so a couple of times in the short time I have been here.
Oh, like in your probability thread, where you haven't been as stubborn as a mule... I guess I was wrong about you. Blush

In that very thread I thanked Jakel for pointing out a flaw in the proof I provided....so i don't know what you are talking about. The reason I started posting here is because I want you guys to poke holes in my arguments. I could really care less if you convert to theism or find religion..

In my opinion Chas has been more mule headed than I have. I pointed out to him obvious errors he has made but he never admits to them.
20-03-2013, 01:52 AM
Looks like you're becoming more skeptical... What makes you think my last comment was sarcastic?
20-03-2013, 01:57 AM
(20-03-2013 01:52 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Looks like you're becoming more skeptical... What makes you think my last comment was sarcastic?

I am a skeptical theist
20-03-2013, 02:04 AM
Hey there AS,
How do you know that this Father of Lies wasn't using the ol' double bluff to make you think he was an adolescent schoolboy?

Huh, huh?
Didn't think of that, didya?

And yes, OP, I faked a Ouija session (or two) in my youth.
Y'know how goes...
Scare the girls and then offer them your chivalrous protection on the way home.

Devilish behaviour.

Smile