Parenting-Kids and bad dreams

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2014, 10:37 PM
Parenting-Kids and bad dreams
So my three yr. old had a bad dream last night. Apparently there is a boy at his daycare with cerebral palsy. His dream was simple enough, he dreamt about this boy being a robot (he's really into robots) and something happened with the boy's eyes that freaked him out. I'm sure the dream was a trip for him.

It's been constant all day, and explaining what dreams are to a three yr. old is just frustrating (let alone cerebral palsy). He is still well into his "why" phase, but this is obviously bothering him more than just saying why to every answer he gets. He really doesn't understand why he had this bad dream and really wants to get to the bottom of it.

Anyone been through this? I've searched youtube for helpful videos I could show him, but it's been fruitless so far. I feel bad for the little dude, wish I had more substantial to tell or show him.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2014, 10:52 PM
RE: Parenting-Kids and bad dreams
(27-03-2014 10:37 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  So my three yr. old had a bad dream last night. Apparently there is a boy at his daycare with cerebral palsy. His dream was simple enough, he dreamt about this boy being a robot (he's really into robots) and something happened with the boy's eyes that freaked him out. I'm sure the dream was a trip for him.

It's been constant all day, and explaining what dreams are to a three yr. old is just frustrating (let alone cerebral palsy). He is still well into his "why" phase, but this is obviously bothering him more than just saying why to every answer he gets. He really doesn't understand why he had this bad dream and really wants to get to the bottom of it.

Anyone been through this? I've searched youtube for helpful videos I could show him, but it's been fruitless so far. I feel bad for the little dude, wish I had more substantial to tell or show him.

I don't recall my kids remembering their dreams longer than a few minutes after wakeup, distraction i think would work best as dream memory is quick to fade, In your case it appears he has built a concious memory with the dream interpretation.
With a 3yr, its hard to say. distraction would be my choice, ignore anything he says about dreams and occupy his mind with something else.
If he was older, then explaining what a dream is would be better.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
27-03-2014, 11:11 PM
That's the problem, when he's stuck on something, he's stuck.

So far tonight he's been talking in his sleep, but it's been random and hard to make out on the monitor. But he hasn't woken up screaming or anything. At one point it sounded like he said something about "not liking that movie". I'm afraid that the whole infatuation with it will cause him to have more bad dreams, but so far so good.

Can't really help with the movies, name me one kids' movie that doesn't have a scary bad guy part in it.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
27-03-2014, 11:24 PM
(27-03-2014 10:37 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  So my three yr. old had a bad dream last night. Apparently there is a boy at his daycare with cerebral palsy. His dream was simple enough, he dreamt about this boy being a robot (he's really into robots) and something happened with the boy's eyes that freaked him out. I'm sure the dream was a trip for him.

Has he ever gone on a vacation? When my kids were little and had bad dreams I told them that dreams are just your mind on vacation.

If he can't relate to that. Just listen to him, tell him that it was a weird dream and tell him if he has weird dreams to tell you about them because you don't remember yours so well anymore.

I used to have dreams I could fly. You can relate some silly dream you had as a kid -- you can embellish it -- make it kid like.

My older kid used to have night terrors/vivid dreams, I used to flip his pillow over and told him it was on the bad dream side. Lol.

It's stupid but it worked for him. Even when he was 5.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
27-03-2014, 11:31 PM
(27-03-2014 11:24 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Has he ever gone on a vacation? When my kids were little and had bad dreams I told them that dreams are just your mind on vacation.

If he can't relate to that. Just listen to him, tell him that it was a weird dream and tell him if he has weird dreams to tell you about them because you don't remember yours so well anymore.

I used to have dreams I could fly. You can relate some silly dream you had as a kid -- you can embellish it -- make it kid like.

My older kid used to have night terrors/vivid dreams, I used to flip his pillow over and told him it was on the bad dream side. Lol.

No vacation, other than across the state to visit Gpa n Gma. I actually brought up flying dreams, to try to illustrate to him that a lot of times dreams can be cool. He's smart, but he's still 3, and stuck on this one bad dream for the first time. The flying dream idea ain't gonna fly until he has it himself.

I know he'll get over it, but as a new dad you know I wanna be able to come to the rescue and solve all of his problems and shit. I really figured there would be some creative video on youtube that would alleviate all of his fears, but alas, there ain't shit for someone his age to understand.

~ Umberto Eco
27-03-2014, 11:40 PM
(27-03-2014 11:31 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 11:24 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Has he ever gone on a vacation? When my kids were little and had bad dreams I told them that dreams are just your mind on vacation.

No vacation, other than across the state to visit Gpa n Gma. I actually brought up flying dreams, to try to illustrate to him that a lot of times dreams can be cool. He's smart, but he's still 3, and stuck on this one bad dream for the first time. The flying dream idea ain't gonna fly until he has it himself.

I know he'll get over it, but as a new dad you know I wanna be able to come to the rescue and solve all of his problems and shit. I really figured there would be some creative video on youtube that would alleviate all of his fears, but alas, there ain't shit for someone his age to understand.

If it happens again, just swap his pillowcase or flip his pillow. Tongue

Kids at three are best when the explanation is the simplest.

Just listening to them, keeping questions about the dream simple...

Like, "wow, that's sounds incredible"

Kids won't remember what words you use. They'll remember your reaction. If you're okay with it -- they'll be ok.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
27-03-2014, 11:49 PM
Weird thing is, it was like three in the morning when he had the dream and woke us up. The wife told him that it was just a dream and he seemed cool with it and just went back to sleep. It was a couple hours later he woke up and had to pee, and started talking about the dream again. Then all day.

Oh well, not a big deal. Thanks for the advice.

~ Umberto Eco
28-03-2014, 05:23 AM
Moms is right on.

I would just relate it as a story your brain makes up, like the books he reads. But the cool part is that since its in our brain, we can change it and make it be anything we want. Offer some 'seeds of suggestion'

I have sat with my girls when they have trouble falling asleep and are upset and we talk about what they are going to dream about that night. Its just putting a happy visual in their head to block out the one that is bothering them. Usually its a memory, like our visit to Disney world. I ask them if they remember walking in thru the gates, walking down Main Street, and then start asking them--where did we go next? And just let them go with it.

Monsters were afraid of the dog in our house, so they never came to our house. Monsters get scared too ya know!! And our labrador was perfect--if you said dog & eat-he would wag his tail and always looked like he was agreeing to wanting to eat monsters. LOL.

Also, it seemed like when my kids had sleep problems, that a big milestone was coming up really, really soon....grow 3 inches overnight, or 3 teeth come in at once, or a big leap in a physical ability. Maybe they weren't connected, but it just seemed that way to me.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
28-03-2014, 06:54 AM
(27-03-2014 11:49 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Weird thing is, it was like three in the morning when he had the dream and woke us up. The wife told him that it was just a dream and he seemed cool with it and just went back to sleep. It was a couple hours later he woke up and had to pee, and started talking about the dream again. Then all day.

Oh well, not a big deal. Thanks for the advice.

As long as he's ok with the dream......then You're ok with it. That's the rule.
Don't worry until you have to.

Meanwhile - I'd like to compliment you on a super smart kid. Dreams can tell parents quite a bit about their child. Your kid is having complex dreams at age 3 AND able to describe them to you.........so........ ThumbsupThumbsup:thumbsup:If it were me - I'd be paying a lot more attention to the Skills he's exhibiting than the dream itself.

Bad dreams --- change their location for one night to break up a bad dream stretch.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
28-03-2014, 07:03 AM
(28-03-2014 06:54 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Meanwhile - I'd like to compliment you on a super smart kid. Dreams can tell parents quite a bit about their child. Your kid is having complex dreams at age 3 AND able to describe them to you.........so........ ThumbsupThumbsup:thumbsup:If it were me - I'd be paying a lot more attention to the Skills he's exhibiting than the dream itself.

I never thought about that. Thanks! He is a pretty sharp little shit. No talk of dreams yet this morning so we'll see how it goes.

~ Umberto Eco