Parenting atheist children in a non-atheist world

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-09-2016, 06:15 PM
RE: Parenting atheist children in a non-atheist world
I don't have kids (yet) but just from common sense and professional experience I would say to just stay open for all questions and to teach your kids to ask about and question things in general. No making religion a taboo or forbidden thing, just treating that as open as everything else they might ask.
Therefore: "Why does the sky look blue?" is treated equally to "Why did the pastor say Amen?"

School on the other hand, not sure. Not sure if kids in your country have to attend religious classes or something like that.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-09-2016, 08:32 PM
RE: Parenting atheist children in a non-atheist world
(08-09-2016 07:14 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  I am a newbie, so forgive me if this has been discussed.

Are any of you parents? How are you dealing with raising your kids to not believe in god? Are you dealing with pressure from society/friends/family?

I have been an atheist since...I could think. lol But I am not very vocal about it because flat-out saying "I don't believe in god" would not go over well in my family or community.

My approach to religion has mostly been to ignore. But kids are inquisitive creatures, so I do get questions - especially when they have been exposed to religion/god through peers.

I would love to hear how others are dealing with this. What do you say to your kids?

I raised my son in SoCal, so not so much social pressure for belief. His mother was a Catholic when we met, so we had to agree to simply spill our truths as we saw them -- but not program him. That worked until after our breakup, she moved in with a fundy who tried to start programming my son, six at the time.

I put my foot down, told her SO to STFU trying to program my son, and started laying out exactly why mom's fundy lover was wrong about God, Jesus, etc etc. My son's mom just didn't have, I suppose, the personal security or strength to enforce our original agreement herself. I don't blame her, and I'm glad in a way she left it to me, because with all his sudden religious questions, I was able to shoot them down very early, before they took root.

I've always spoke what I think is true to my son. Wen your kids ask what you think about god(s), answer them plainly. Answer the follow-up questions plainly too. Children love reasoning. It takes adults to fuck them up.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post