Parenting question- are your children atheist? theists? agnostics?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2014, 10:15 AM
Parenting question- are your children atheist? theists? agnostics?
Just a question of curiosity.

I am assuming most that will answer here are agnostic or atheist, and I am curious if your children are too.

I am atheist, my husband is a believer. We have two young daughters, both say they are agnostic, but tell me they are really atheist but don't want to hurt their Dad's feelings. Angel maybe they say that to comfort me too Consider

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
02-12-2014, 10:27 AM
RE: Parenting question- are your children atheist? theists? agnostics?
Right now he will tell you Jesus lives in his heart, but then he also believes in Santa Claus and dragons. He's five. I'm hoping to make a teenage atheist out of him.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
02-12-2014, 11:03 AM
My kids are just kids. At 2, 5, and 6 sometimes they believe in god and sometimes they don't. Sometimes they believe in Santa and other times they believe they can go on real life adventures while watching the backyardigans. Hopefully future atheists but it's up to them.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
02-12-2014, 11:13 AM
As an uncle I see my oldest nephews not subscribing to religion at all, my brother and his wife aren't religious at all.

My youngest nephew and niece are going down the path of fundyism because that brother and his wife have lost their minds. Let me add so much so that they won't let them visit us alone for fear our atheism might be contagious.Dodgy

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
02-12-2014, 11:23 AM
My daughter is an atheist. I was careful to indoctrinate her early while she was still impressionable. It's imperative that she worship FSM like the rest of her family, so that she may be embraced by His noodly appendage.

Seriously though, she thinks religion is as ridiculous as I do.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
02-12-2014, 11:31 AM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2014 11:39 AM by Mr. Boston.)
I'm an atheist, my wife is agnostic with a Jewish dad and recovering Catholic mother. We don't practice any particular faith in our house, though we do have family parties for Hanukkah, Christmas, and Passover - but it's mostly because my wife doesn't want the cultural aspects of being Jewish (mainly the food!) to die out in her family. I love latkes, I can support that!

We're not raising our almost-4-year-old son with God. But we're also not going out of our way to shield him from religion or religious people and concepts. They say grace at his pre-school before lunch, for example. So far he hasn't asked us about God. If he thinks about God at all, it's only as one of many members in the pantheon of fictional figures he thinks about, including Santa Claus, Batman, Darth Vader, Kenobi Ben, and Optimus Prime - and God ranks below ALL of them.

When the time comes and he asks us about God, we'll give him an age-appropriate response explaining what various cultures' versions of God or a higher power are, and that Daddy thinks God isn't real, but that the idea of God is something people made up, but that if it makes them do good things that's good; and that Mommy is Jewish the same way Daddy is Irish and that we want him to know what Jewish culture is, but that he can decide for himself what he believes.

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest if he ends up believing in a God or higher power, whether it's Yahweh, Zeus, The Force, etc. doesn't matter to me. If he ends up being what my working-stiff dad would refer to as a "good shit" I don't much care how he gets there. But if he asks me directly I won't lie. I'll tell him that I think God is something people made up when they didn't have any way to know any better; that it made them feel better about themselves and feel like there was a purpose to their lives, but that I personally don't think we really need it any more and that there are other ideas and concepts people can devote themselves too.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
02-12-2014, 11:34 AM
I am assuming most that will answer here are agnostic or atheist, and I am curious if your children are too.

Son, 23, atheist (He came out before I did.)
Daughter, 21, theist
Daughter, 18, atheist
Son, 15, probably atheist

Almost a Meatloaf song.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like dcobranchi's post
02-12-2014, 11:44 AM
One thing that I did intentionally teach my daughter and step-daughter was that it's NOT ok to believe whatever you want. I taught them that believing something is putting your trust into the fact that it's true. Just because you want something to be true doesn't make it so. This is a fundamental lesson that I tried to instill throughout their childhood. It's ok if they believe in a god, but it should be because they are convinced by the evidence, not because they want it to be true.

It's not ok to believe there are no starving people in the world just because you want it to be true.

[+] 8 users Like Stark Raving's post
02-12-2014, 11:49 AM
Hey Stark - I concur. I don't intend to indoctrinate my kids with anything other than an adherence to the evidence and common sense. I don't feel compelled to pass on anything to them besides a finely-tuned bullshit meter and the courage to ask questions and not settle for equivocation as a response. Wherever that leads them is cool with me.
[+] 6 users Like Mr. Boston's post
02-12-2014, 11:52 AM
(02-12-2014 11:49 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  Hey Stark - I concur. I don't intend to indoctrinate my kids with anything other than an adherence to the evidence and common sense. I don't feel compelled to pass on anything to them besides a finely-tuned bullshit meter and the courage to ask questions and not settle for equivocation as a response. Wherever that leads them is cool with me.

Very well said.