Parenting question- are your children atheist? theists? agnostics?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2014, 12:12 PM
RE: Parenting question- are your children atheist? theists? agnostics?
(02-12-2014 11:44 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  One thing that I did intentionally teach my daughter and step-daughter was that it's NOT ok to believe whatever you want. I taught them that believing something is putting your trust into the fact that it's true. Just because you want something to be true doesn't make it so. This is a fundamental lesson that I tried to instill throughout their childhood. It's ok if they believe in a god, but it should be because they are convinced by the evidence, not because they want it to be true.

It's not ok to believe there are no starving people in the world just because you want it to be true.

(02-12-2014 11:49 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  Hey Stark - I concur. I don't intend to indoctrinate my kids with anything other than an adherence to the evidence and common sense. I don't feel compelled to pass on anything to them besides a finely-tuned bullshit meter and the courage to ask questions and not settle for equivocation as a response. Wherever that leads them is cool with me.

same here.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2014, 03:06 PM
I'd say they are agnostic, both of them. When they were in high school we were discussing the virgin birth and they had a pretty good idea that this was nonsense. They also came to the understanding that the gospel wasn't written until decades after Jesus died, they got the information off the internet and through other sources, so the son of god crap caved in pretty quickly.

Funny, but my older daughter mentioned just yesterday that she doesn't know any religious people. Everyone she knows is agnostic or atheist. My youngest daughter is the same way.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
02-12-2014, 04:24 PM
If I ever had kids, God save us all, than they damn well better be atheists when they grow up or so help me God I will spend their savings fund so god damn fast.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
02-12-2014, 04:41 PM
Thanks, now you've made me think of my ex's.
One, the oldest, is Christian for some unknown reason, but I'm working on that. Big Grin
My two youngest are not exposed to religion thank god.
(See what I did there?)
02-12-2014, 04:46 PM
(02-12-2014 10:15 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Just a question of curiosity.

I am assuming most that will answer here are agnostic or atheist, and I am curious if your children are too.

I am atheist, my husband is a believer. We have two young daughters, both say they are agnostic, but tell me they are really atheist but don't want to hurt their Dad's feelings. Angel maybe they say that to comfort me too Consider

Why don't you allow for the possibility of being agnostic AND atheist?

Please don't treat agnosticism as some sort of middle ground between theism/atheism. There is no middle ground between theism/atheism. Either you believe the theist assertion that at least one supernatural god exists or you don't.
02-12-2014, 04:52 PM
(02-12-2014 04:46 PM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  
(02-12-2014 10:15 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Just a question of curiosity.

I am assuming most that will answer here are agnostic or atheist, and I am curious if your children are too.

I am atheist, my husband is a believer. We have two young daughters, both say they are agnostic, but tell me they are really atheist but don't want to hurt their Dad's feelings. Angel maybe they say that to comfort me too Consider

Why don't you allow for the possibility of being agnostic AND atheist?

Please don't treat agnosticism as some sort of middle ground between theism/atheism. There is no middle ground between theism/atheism. Either you believe the theist assertion that at least one supernatural god exists or you don't.

don't be wet blanket. Facepalm

do you have kids?
how are you raising them?
simple question.

Dodgy

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
02-12-2014, 05:18 PM
Well, I'm not too sure, to be honest. My daughter I consider a theist, though she doesn't attend church all that often (the kids are welcome to attend church with my mother if they'd like) except on the odd occasion she wants to help my mom with the nursery kids. My guess is her belief is somewhat casual? But she *did* accept Jesus in her heart when she was littler. I remember doing the prayer with her.

My son? He's had less exposure to church than my daughter and really never even talks about church or God at all. My mom invites him to go to church with her but he usually turns her down so he can stay in and play video games and eat a lazy breakfast. Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
02-12-2014, 06:16 PM
My daughter is six with fairly religious grandparents so the questions have finally begun. I've been honest and open with her as much as I can including some of the gory details if she asks.

Honestly I get more questions about Hinduism as there are more Hindu kids in her school that are really gungho about their religion than there are Christian. That's a tough one for me not because I'm not knowledgeable on the subject but because of its relation to women.

But she knows how I feel and that I want her to believe whatever makes the most sense to her given what she knows. The other day she was talking about how grandma and grandpa pray before dinner and it got us talking again. At the end she just says to me "that's what grandma and grandpa believe. I don't though. Its silly." I just said that's up to you to figure out for yourself but inside I beamed.

My son is 6 months old. He doesn't give a shit.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
03-12-2014, 12:34 AM
(02-12-2014 04:52 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(02-12-2014 04:46 PM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  Why don't you allow for the possibility of being agnostic AND atheist?

don't be wet blanket. Facepalm

do you have kids?
how are you raising them?
simple question.

Dodgy

Accuracy in discourse is important.
A lot of people visit this site anonymously and we don't need to confuse them more than they are. If the information we distribute is in error, shame on us.

There is no middle ground between atheism and theism. You are either one or the other. They are the only 2 possible positions on the theistic assertion about supernatural gods.

Agnosticism is a completely separate but somewhat related topic. It addresses a different assertion.

Yes I have a daughter who is just finishing her first semester at McGill University. She is an atheist. I hope I taught her to think critically and thus she came to her own conclusions.
03-12-2014, 06:54 AM
Oldest - atheist

Middle - Christiany when it suits her

Youngest - atheist

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF