Parenting question- are your children atheist? theists? agnostics?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2014, 08:03 PM
RE: Parenting question- are your children atheist? theists? agnostics?
I liked the point Richard Dawkins made in The God Delusion that there are no Catholic children, no atheist children, etc., only Catholic parents or atheist parents. He wrote that children do not have the mental capacity to make such a decision about the world. I have considered myself an atheist since I was 8, but I think he is still right. My mother exposed me to Mormon indoctrination for several years, and then when I decided to be an atheist at age 8, she didn't make me keeping going to church. I am not a parent, but if I ever were to be I would teach the child how to evaluate. I would not indoctrinate. By thinking critically a person can evaluate any idea or statement and separate the proven truth from speculation. Religion is largely speculation, whereas science at least can make some things objectively known, and I would hope the child would draw that conclusion by experience.

It is self-evident that I do not need religion or God to be a moral, happy, productive human being.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Imago's post
07-12-2014, 01:49 PM
My kids don't exist..
[+] 3 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
08-12-2014, 05:03 AM
Miss 8 tells me she is an atheist, but loves going to church with her grandmother. Mr 5 tells me he believes in Jesus. He also believes in Santa Claus.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
08-12-2014, 05:09 AM
Two are heathens, one for some insane reason is christian.
08-12-2014, 03:45 PM
(08-12-2014 05:09 AM)pablo Wrote:  Two are heathens, one for some insane reason is christian.

More beating is required.

[Image: oscar.png]
08-12-2014, 03:57 PM
Sort of aliens IMAO>>>Confused
08-12-2014, 05:21 PM
As most here know, I've got two boys, my oldest is 20. He said to me he was an atheist when he was around 13. At first I was a bit worried I had influenced him, but no, not at all. He decided it couldn't be true on his own. My second son is 15, he's on the spectrum for autism/aspergers. He totally has no belief in god, but for a time, he rather liked the idea of heaven, but admits its an impossible concept. He said recently he'll just remember everyone after we're gone, but it's ok because we're old and everything dies. Undecided

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

08-12-2014, 06:29 PM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2014 09:10 PM by GirlyMan.)
My devil spawn were raised Catholic 'cause I promised the Church not to interfere with devil spawns' Catholic "education" so I could get married to Manly in a Church in front of a priest. Kept my promise. Making sure they understood basic logic and reasoning wasn't breaking my promise. Today all 4 devil spawn are what I call "Don't give a shit"'s. Or maybe pretheists. "God? Nobody got no time for jibber jabber dribble drabble."

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post