Parenting with a believer rant

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2013, 11:26 PM
RE: Parenting with a believer rant
(27-12-2013 08:33 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(27-12-2013 08:27 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  I have to warn you though that will be the age where your daughter will either love you or hate u. She'll probably want to start dyeing her hair. (Just let her streak it don't let her do her whole head). And she'll probably want to get her cartilage pierced. DO NOT let the kid get a bikini, tankini is fine. Make her wait til she's eighteen for a tattoo, trust me either she'll still get it or be bored by then.

Hopefully there's the phase where the teenage daughter *hates* them, rebels and rattles against them.Thumbsup It's a sign of maturity believe it or not......of change and carving out one's identity. A very important stage in development. All teenage girls should pass through the phase of "I hate my parent(s)". Without this stage there's no individuality established. Much akin to the 2 yr old who's favorite thing might be ice cream but refuses to Eat ice cream so as to disagree with the parent offering it.
Textbook really.

our teenage parent angst lasted from age 13 - 17.... we affectionately nicknamed it "the tunnel" and ours came out on the other side of the tunnel just fine.

Just remember when your teenager starts rebelling against you it's nothing personal. Keep loving and keep teaching and respect boundaries.......that's the stuff that sticks! Thumbsup

Thanks for the tip Sabrina!

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes djkamilo's post
27-12-2013, 11:28 PM
(27-12-2013 08:16 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I told my husband I am adamant about this because of the years of dysfunction I had to undo and how it had the opposite effect on what it was intending.
Thanks for your input Cathy. I keep hearing that all those abstinence pledges had the opposite reaction and result in higher number of intercourse, pregnancies, etc.

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
28-12-2013, 12:34 AM
(27-12-2013 11:28 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  
(27-12-2013 08:16 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I told my husband I am adamant about this because of the years of dysfunction I had to undo and how it had the opposite effect on what it was intending.
Thanks for your input Cathy. I keep hearing that all those abstinence pledges had the opposite reaction and result in higher number of intercourse, pregnancies, etc.

Yeah, I hate those abstinence only programs with a fiery passion. Kids need to know that it's not true that having sex standing up / your first time / in water / using the pull-out method can't result in pregnancy. Keeping this kind of information from kids only does them harm.

I believe I saw a statistic that showed kids who went thru abstinence only had sex just as much as those who went through a class that was actually educational. You can't fight it, but man the religious keep trying. Dodgy
28-12-2013, 09:08 AM
(27-12-2013 11:28 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  

I think it's important for your daughter to understand that SHE and not anyone else has control over her sexuality. You can't teach her to respect herself and say no, if she can't even say no to you.

Ironic. The whole abstinence is about teaching you that you have the power to say no, but it's not really power if you have no other option. I was going to be chaste. There was no ifs ands or butts (hehe, grow up, Cathy) about it.

So where is the power to say no if I have no control over my own body and when it says yes.

I had sex when I was 14. I was ready. It wasn't THAT experience that upset me, it was the guilt cycle afterward of believing that because I had sex, my worth was somehow diminished. That a part of me was gone. After I felt that u was worth less, then it didn't matter what I did because I was no longer worth as much because of my hymen was gone.

That is what started the destructive behavior, the guilt. Not the sex.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post