Parents: What's Your Take on This?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2013, 10:08 AM
RE: Parents: What's Your Take on This?
Sorry, starts about 6:45.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2013, 10:40 AM
I think the best answer to this situation was given in Christopher Titus's (stand-up comedian) bit about all of us becoming "the village" again during his experience at the DMV. I think that bit of his points out how I (and many in my area) feel about the subject. I encourage anyone to look it up. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the bit was from his "Neverlution" special.

Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way.
13-04-2013, 08:55 PM
I am not a parent. However I did spend nearly 10 years working with children and have taken Child Development courses and I also work with people with behaviors now. (to sum it up very quickly)

I would have given the child one chance to turn it around or left the store and apologized to the clerk about leaving a full trolly if it came to it. Children should be taught that the behavior is unacceptable and has consequences. (Usually once the child knows mom/dad is serious about leaving its funny how they turn around anyway)

Also just because someone is not a parent does not mean they can't have valid, insightful opinions.
13-04-2013, 09:06 PM
(13-04-2013 08:55 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Also just because someone is not a parent does not mean they can't have valid, insightful opinions.

I don't think that just because someone isn't a parent means I don't value their opinions Smile

I posted that because I wouldn't mind EVERYONE posting about this. I like to hear many different perspectives.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
13-04-2013, 09:46 PM
(13-04-2013 09:06 PM)Peanut Wrote:  
(13-04-2013 08:55 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Also just because someone is not a parent does not mean they can't have valid, insightful opinions.

I don't think that just because someone isn't a parent means I don't value their opinions Smile

I posted that because I wouldn't mind EVERYONE posting about this. I like to hear many different perspectives.

Well...yeah, but you did kind of condescend a bit about being "HIGHLY amused" when non-parents give their insight. Undecided

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
13-04-2013, 09:47 PM
(10-04-2013 06:26 PM)Peanut Wrote:  OH! I find it EXTREMELY amusing when non-parents give their input. Smile

All I think is, "Just you wait... Just wait. Tell me it's "easy" raising a kid or how much insight you had before having a child is relevant after having a toddler in your house for a few months...!"

^ Right der. ^

Tongue

13-04-2013, 10:14 PM
(13-04-2013 09:46 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(13-04-2013 09:06 PM)Peanut Wrote:  I don't think that just because someone isn't a parent means I don't value their opinions Smile

Well...yeah, but you did kind of condescend a bit about being "HIGHLY amused" when non-parents give their insight. Undecided

WTF, Miso?! You calling me out?

I take each response on a case-by-case basis. If someone ONLY wants to say a parent is "doing it wrong," when they have never had a child, NOR studied (or whatever) about raising a child, then I will giggle. If they want to claim being a parent is "easy," then I will giggle.

I don't wanna talk in this thread anymore; I'm drunk. I will probably regret everything I said tomorrow, when I'm sober. Drinking Beverage

I can't make a coherent statement. Fuck, Miso! Hobo

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
13-04-2013, 10:17 PM
[Image: 42096-hi-Bugs_Bunny.jpg]

13-04-2013, 10:28 PM
(13-04-2013 10:17 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  [Image: 42096-hi-Bugs_Bunny.jpg]
Yes. You ARE the "woist."

Dodgy

Stahp! Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes Peanut's post
13-04-2013, 10:42 PM
(13-04-2013 08:55 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I am not a parent. However I did spend nearly 10 years working with children and have taken Child Development courses and I also work with people with behaviors now. (to sum it up very quickly)

I would have given the child one chance to turn it around or left the store and apologized to the clerk about leaving a full trolly if it came to it. Children should be taught that the behavior is unacceptable and has consequences. (Usually once the child knows mom/dad is serious about leaving its funny how they turn around anyway)

Also just because someone is not a parent does not mean they can't have valid, insightful opinions.

The kid wanted a toy. He didn't get a toy in the end. He lost.
If you just leave the store then you're letting the kid dictate your behavior which is probably worst. You need to show that little shit that you said you were going shopping and he wasn't going to get a toy and that's damn well what you're going to do.
He'll learn soon enough that it's mommy's way or the highway.

(all as a non-parent and someone who doesn't even like kids of course).

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.