Parents: What's Your Take on This?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2013, 11:16 PM
RE: Parents: What's Your Take on This?
(13-04-2013 10:42 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(13-04-2013 08:55 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I am not a parent. However I did spend nearly 10 years working with children and have taken Child Development courses and I also work with people with behaviors now. (to sum it up very quickly)

I would have given the child one chance to turn it around or left the store and apologized to the clerk about leaving a full trolly if it came to it. Children should be taught that the behavior is unacceptable and has consequences. (Usually once the child knows mom/dad is serious about leaving its funny how they turn around anyway)

Also just because someone is not a parent does not mean they can't have valid, insightful opinions.

The kid wanted a toy. He didn't get a toy in the end. He lost.
If you just leave the store then you're letting the kid dictate your behavior which is probably worst. You need to show that little shit that you said you were going shopping and he wasn't going to get a toy and that's damn well what you're going to do.
He'll learn soon enough that it's mommy's way or the highway.

(all as a non-parent and someone who doesn't even like kids of course).

Yes but he also looses the ability to regain the prospect of getting the toy from showing more appropriate behavior as well as knowing that he probably wont get to make the trip again with mama (depending on your sitter situation) Plus I believe in respecting the people in the store around you. *shrug* And as I said before, most kids stop when the idea of it certainly not happening is presented. But I also say most kids. Not every kid.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
13-04-2013, 11:18 PM
If you're comfortable with letting your screaming kids continue in the store thats fine of course. It is the same lesson. Just a different way of approaching it.
13-04-2013, 11:19 PM
(13-04-2013 11:16 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(13-04-2013 10:42 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  The kid wanted a toy. He didn't get a toy in the end. He lost.
If you just leave the store then you're letting the kid dictate your behavior which is probably worst. You need to show that little shit that you said you were going shopping and he wasn't going to get a toy and that's damn well what you're going to do.
He'll learn soon enough that it's mommy's way or the highway.

(all as a non-parent and someone who doesn't even like kids of course).

Yes but he also looses the ability to regain the prospect of getting the toy from showing more appropriate behavior as well as knowing that he probably wont get to make the trip again with mama (depending on your sitter situation) Plus I believe in respecting the people in the store around you. *shrug* And as I said before, most kids stop when the idea of it certainly not happening is presented. But I also say most kids. Not every kid.

Touche' And this is why I will never be a parent.
I totally hear about the respect for other shoppers though...
Like, I can understand at 3:30, you just got the kids out of school, it's a mad rush, do some grocery shopping while you're in town etc.. Ok yeah sure.
But at 12 on a Sunday? Just hold a pillow over the kids face until it stops breathing, that'll shut it up.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
13-04-2013, 11:25 PM
The most important part is having the balls to stick behind what you say. Most parents don't follow through with the consequences they lay down. If you say "If you keep doing this, this will happen" and you don't do it...that's where things fuck up.
[+] 4 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
13-04-2013, 11:29 PM
Absolutely.
If you're going to threaten to put your child in the washing machine, then if they step out of line damn well be ready to put on a load of washing!

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
13-04-2013, 11:31 PM
(13-04-2013 11:29 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Absolutely.
If you're going to threaten to put your child in the washing machine, then if they step out of line damn well be ready to put on a load of washing!

Well if this is happening you have more pressing concerns than crying in the store over a toy. Tongue (We can discuss time out techniques in pm if you want muffs dear)
13-04-2013, 11:40 PM
(13-04-2013 11:19 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Like, I can understand at 3:30, you just got the kids out of school, it's a mad rush, do some grocery shopping while you're in town etc.. Ok yeah sure.
But at 12 on a Sunday? Just hold a pillow over the kids face until it stops breathing, that'll shut it up.

I JUST READ THAT AND SAW "Cookie Monster" the whole time!

I can't stop laughing.

I'm so drnk!

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
14-04-2013, 05:05 PM
(13-04-2013 11:19 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(13-04-2013 11:16 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Yes but he also looses the ability to regain the prospect of getting the toy from showing more appropriate behavior as well as knowing that he probably wont get to make the trip again with mama (depending on your sitter situation) Plus I believe in respecting the people in the store around you. *shrug* And as I said before, most kids stop when the idea of it certainly not happening is presented. But I also say most kids. Not every kid.

Touche' And this is why I will never be a parent.
Like, I can understand at 3:30, you just got the kids out of school, it's a mad rush, do some grocery shopping while you're in town etc.. Ok yeah sure.

Just take the little shit out of the store and lock him in the trunk of the car, return to finish shopping.

What's so hard about that? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
14-04-2013, 06:10 PM
(14-04-2013 05:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-04-2013 11:19 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Touche' And this is why I will never be a parent.

Just take the little shit out of the store and lock him in the trunk of the car, return to finish shopping.

The potential fines are pretty large...you would have to gag them and make sure no one sees you stuff them into the trunk.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
14-04-2013, 06:16 PM
(14-04-2013 06:10 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(14-04-2013 05:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  Just take the little shit out of the store and lock him in the trunk of the car, return to finish shopping.

The potential fines are pretty large...you would have to gag them and make sure no one sees you stuff them into the trunk.

Details, details.Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user