Parents' rights (Can o' worms)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-12-2012, 08:59 AM
RE: Parents' rights (Can o' worms)
Jeez V, diff between a troll and a bot should be obvious...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
24-12-2012, 08:59 AM
Yes, humans.

As a human, I acknowledge that not everybody needs to be nice.
[+] 1 user Likes namiloveyou's post
24-12-2012, 09:01 AM (This post was last modified: 24-12-2012 09:04 AM by Vera.)
Erx, you twisted little man, stop adding fuel to the fire! Or at least show your mug in here, stop poking it from the sidelines... wait, that didn't come out quite right!

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
24-12-2012, 09:03 AM
Parents' rights (Can o' worms)
I don't want to derail the thread. Laughat

Plus I agree with him. Evil_monster

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
24-12-2012, 09:04 AM
(24-12-2012 09:03 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Plus I agree with him. Evil_monster
Crafty little bastard, aren't ya? Yes

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
24-12-2012, 09:05 AM
(24-12-2012 09:03 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I don't want to derail the thread. Laughat

Plus I agree with him. Evil_monster
... On what ? His net contribution so far is the statement that parents rule children and not everyone needs to be nice plus a bunch of ad homs. Completely tangential to the debate of how much interference with a child's education is allowable as far as I can see...
24-12-2012, 09:06 AM
(26-11-2012 11:30 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Parents have the right to do whatever they want with their kids so long as it doesn't break actual laws (you know, the kinds of laws that apply to all people, not just to parents and kids, like not murdering, raping, etc.). Certainly within those rights is the right to teach them whatever B.S. beliefs the parents have.

This should not be legislated. Parents should have this right and no government should step in and create laws about what parents can and cannot teach/brainwash their kids. Why? I don't trust any government on this planet to legislate that according to my wishes. I therefore would almost certainly not appreciate such legislation imposed on me and my children.

So, in a perfect world, with a perfect government that would legislate perfect laws about such things, then yes, I might (but probably wouldn't) support such laws - but we don't have a perfect world (if we did, we wouldn't need those laws) so I prefer none of those laws rather than imperfect versions of them.

Which means, in my opinion, parents remain free to screw up their kids. Sad but true, and necessary.

On a side note, what's up with "can of worms" anyway? What a meaningless phrase. It's used to imply that there is a huge problem. If there really were such a thing as a can of worms, would opening it be such a horrible thing? I would say, "Oh, look, worms". And then I would put it down, or throw it away, and go on with my life. What we really need to do is replace the silly phrase with "can of bees". Opening that can would actually be a problem. A big problem that wouldn't easily go away, wouldn't be easy to just put it down or throw it out.

So I suggest we all say "can of bees" when we might otherwise have said "can of worms" - it's much more meaningful.

(not my original idea - credit to Penn and Teller for that one).
You sound autistic lol... Big Grin
24-12-2012, 09:09 AM
(25-11-2012 04:27 PM)Chas Wrote:  Several times it has been said in this forum that religious indoctrination is tantamount to child abuse, that circumcision is abuse, and so on.

Now, I do think that those are both abusive behaviors, but you might disagree.

What are the rights of parents concerning their children? What are the limits?
I don't think anyone in a civilized society believes that children should be stoned to death for any reason.
Any society that condones so-called 'honor killing' of teenage girls is not a civilized society.

Do parents have the right to home-school their children and feed them utter nonsense?
Do parents have the right to bring up their children in some 19th century bubble?

There are many more questions, but I just thought I'd get things rolling.
As aforecited, IMO, parents rule children.

However, this does not mean children should be subject to emotional/physical abuse.

That said, the PC psychological community likes to view parent/children relationships as a "partnership" which is bull. Parents have oversight over a child's life, which is strongest in the early years, but should more lax as the child grows. A four year old has different needs after all than a twenty-four year old.