Parents threaten their athiest child with no christmas

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-07-2011, 10:24 AM

RE: Parents threaten their athiest child with no christmas
Christmas has secular parts, and I believe it took its secular side
to get the United States to declare it a legal holiday.

Good will towards men, giving, spending time with family and friends
are many of the secular aspects of Christmas.

Personally, I think non-believers should come up with a new name for
the holiday and still celebrate it but call it..whatever..something besides
Christmas.

So..suggestions for name? :-) Hmmm...Good Will day?
Quote this message in a reply
24-07-2011, 11:39 AM
This video made me sick. I got the feeling the person with the camera was in a hurry to turn it off so they wouldn't record the mother hitting the kid. I suspect the son, knowing he was going to come out and expecting an explosive reaction from the mother, asked a sibling to record it just in case. A fine example of Christian tolerance, forgiveness and love. And she wonders why the kid doesn't want to follow her example?

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-07-2011, 02:41 PM
Being long past the age where receiving presents gives me any joy, I would happily lose Christmas in return for not having to put up with religious nonsense. It seems a perfectly fair trade on both sides to me. However the behaviour of the mother is really scary.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-07-2011, 04:40 PM
My mother asked me if I still celebrated Christmas or if I worshiped the devil when she found out I was atheist (stupid facebook robbed me of my decision of when to tell them), I had to suppress an evil laugh.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
24-07-2011, 07:12 PM
Hey guys and gals, I`ve already circumvented this problem because I`m great. You can thank me later.
Last year I invented a holiday I call Presentree. Now let me tell you all about it.

It takes place for five days, the 22nd, 23rd, 24th, 25th, and 26th.
You aren`t allowed to work for these days.
You must eat food and lots of it, the worse for you the better, no excuses dieters.
You get to decorate everything, houses (yours or anyone`s you choose) trees, and people.
It wouldn`t be Presentree without the Presentree. Just one big ass chevy chase style tree with decorations and candy.
No guilt allowed.
Hugs are mandatory, as are smooches to those lucky enough to have earned them.
Love is the idea here, guilt free love. You don`t have to feel bad about some loser from the past who died because he was too slow to out run the enemy.
And of course presents a plenty, big or small, hugs count, so does food, and chores. You see since work is not allowed chores are most often chosen as presents so that nothing smells. So you still get to circumvent rules yay.
Also I hear Santa is down for doubling up his workload until Presentree becomes he universal given. So you still get him. He was saying how sick he was of all the manger baby decorations any way.

I recently began reading about the FSM church so if you follow Holiday than that`s ok too.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/167930026575657?ap=1

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like lucradis's post
25-07-2011, 05:23 AM
(24-07-2011 07:12 PM)lucradis Wrote:  You don`t have to feel bad about some loser from the past who died because he was too slow to out run the enemy.
How about renaming "good-Friday" to "walk slowly day". Big Grin

I lol'd so hard!

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
25-07-2011, 06:22 AM
Presentree sounds adorable! I just told my husband that is what we will celebrate when we have children, so they can have the joy and wonder of Christmas without all of the religious overtones.

Sounds like a lovely tradition, and with a cute name none the less.

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
25-07-2011, 02:25 PM

As sad as it is, the same thing happened to me. When I came out my mom said that I'm ruining the traditions in our family and that, as an atheist, I don't deserve to celebrate holidays nor receive gifts. I explained to her how I don't give a shit what she thinks and I don't care about her gifts ether, so eventually we've reached an agreement, a compromise actualy: as long as I live in my parents' house (I'm 16) I have to respect certain things. I have to pray (or just open and close my mouth) when my grandparents are joining us, I'm not allowed to talk about the non-existence of god/s (ever) and if I keep my side of the agreement she won't be bitchy about my atheism and she'll support me, sometimes.
07-10-2011, 08:27 PM

(02-06-2011 07:54 AM)Prokofiev Wrote:  I'm amazed at how little Christians actually know about the history of Christmas in the US, much less the world.

http://www.thehistoryofchristmas.com/ch/in_america.htm

Great link. However, it doesn't mention that the Christians hijacked this idea from pagans who celebrated the Winter Solctice. Thanks for the link. I'm gonna save it and post it on my blog in a couple of months when the War on Christmas crowd starts up!
08-10-2011, 09:36 AM
Hey lucradis,
Thank you Big Grin
The "Presentree" is a great idea, I'll keep it in mind. We've searched for something like that for a longer time Tongue