Parents took phone and tablet away
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-08-2016, 09:37 AM
Parents took phone and tablet away
My psycho parents took my phone and tablet that I paid for with my own money because I was kicked out of church for venting online about people there excluding me. So I bought a new tablet and phone but then my mom just walked into my room without knocking while I was using my tablet and saw me try to hide it and walked in further saying what are you hiding, demanded to see it and took it away from me too. (I am posting this on a new phone I bought that my mom didnt see because it was in my purse at the time).Then they told me I'm not allowed out of the house in the afternoon after work for a MONTH! First of all, they took MY phone and tablet that I paid for in the first place which they had NO right to do, so I wouldn't have had to buy a new one and hide it if they hadn't taken mine away. And to not let me out of the house that makes NO sense they don't need to treat me look me like some child or criminal all for simply venting online!! I am an adult and those are my things and they can't keep me prisoner either!! Also, now I just wasted money on a new tablet that I can't return and get my money back because I bought it more than two weeks ago and they won't accept returns after two weeks. And my parents won't let me move out either, nor can I afford to move out anyway.
Find all posts by this user
05-08-2016, 10:26 AM
RE: Parents took phone and tablet away
Wait, how old are you?
05-08-2016, 10:29 AM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2016 10:35 AM by adey67.)
Do you mind me asking your age I only ask because if you are an adult then yes you are right, they have no right to do this, the age of majority is 18 although I gather in the USA you can't buy alcohol and cigarettes until you are 21. if you are under 18 although it sucks and so do your parents for being so controlling I guess you are kinda screwed as you have not technically reached the age of majority although if you are questioning religion you clearly have a more advanced mental age than either the congregation and pastor or your parents but nevertheless they are your parents and unless you have reached the age of majority they are not doing anything illegal I don't think. Great you are determined to defy them and their controlling ways and I'm sorry its costing you so much financially and please stay safe online stick with it this situation wont last forever, all the best to you.
05-08-2016, 10:32 AM
(05-08-2016 10:29 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Do you mind me asking your age I only ask because if you are an adult then yes you are right, they have no right to do this, the age of majority is 18 although I gather in the USA you can't buy alcohol and cigarettes until you are 21. if you are under 18 although it sucks and so do your parents for being so controlling I guess you are kinda screwed as you have not technically reached the age of majority although if you are questioning religion you clearly have a more advanced mental age than either the congregation and pastor or your parents but nevertheless they are your parents and unless you have reached the age of majority they are not doing anything illegal I don't think. Great you are determined to defy them and their controlling ways and I'm sorry its costing you so much financially stick with it this situation wont last forever, all the best to you.

Even if she hasn't reached the majority age, I would still say that confiscating something she bought with her own money is outright theft in my opinion. Not sure where the law stands on it though.
05-08-2016, 10:35 AM
Quote:I am an adult
Quote:And my parents won't let me move out either
If you literally mean both of those things, you should call the police.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
05-08-2016, 10:46 AM
(05-08-2016 10:32 AM)Lucipurr Wrote:  
(05-08-2016 10:29 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Do you mind me asking your age I only ask because if you are an adult then yes you are right, they have no right to do this, the age of majority is 18 although I gather in the USA you can't buy alcohol and cigarettes until you are 21. if you are under 18 although it sucks and so do your parents for being so controlling I guess you are kinda screwed as you have not technically reached the age of majority although if you are questioning religion you clearly have a more advanced mental age than either the congregation and pastor or your parents but nevertheless they are your parents and unless you have reached the age of majority they are not doing anything illegal I don't think. Great you are determined to defy them and their controlling ways and I'm sorry its costing you so much financially stick with it this situation wont last forever, all the best to you.

Even if she hasn't reached the majority age, I would still say that confiscating something she bought with her own money is outright theft in my opinion. Not sure where the law stands on it though.

Yes but she might be like 14 and maybe doing risky stuff online in which case her parents maybe concerned for her safety, I remember being 14 and thinking I was an adult. I doubt this is the case but we just don't know, I wanna give her encouragement but if she is a youngster ultimately I want her to be safe.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
05-08-2016, 10:52 AM
(05-08-2016 09:37 AM)rejectedgirl Wrote:  My psycho parents took my phone and tablet that I paid for with my own money because I was kicked out of church for venting online about people there excluding me. [...]

G'day, and welcome to the forums. Smile

Before we can offer you some definitive advice, we have to know your age—as it's vital in determining who's right and who's wrong.

You say you're an "adult" but you're commenting as though you're an adolescent.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
05-08-2016, 11:13 AM
(05-08-2016 09:37 AM)rejectedgirl Wrote:  My psycho parents took my phone and tablet that I paid for with my own money because I was kicked out of church for venting online about people there excluding me. So I bought a new tablet and phone but then my mom just walked into my room without knocking while I was using my tablet and saw me try to hide it and walked in further saying what are you hiding, demanded to see it and took it away from me too. (I am posting this on a new phone I bought that my mom didnt see because it was in my purse at the time).Then they told me I'm not allowed out of the house in the afternoon after work for a MONTH! First of all, they took MY phone and tablet that I paid for in the first place which they had NO right to do, so I wouldn't have had to buy a new one and hide it if they hadn't taken mine away. And to not let me out of the house that makes NO sense they don't need to treat me look me like some child or criminal all for simply venting online!! I am an adult and those are my things and they can't keep me prisoner either!! Also, now I just wasted money on a new tablet that I can't return and get my money back because I bought it more than two weeks ago and they won't accept returns after two weeks. And my parents won't let me move out either, nor can I afford to move out anyway.

Don't get mad, get even. Hold your mom's stuff hostage, then you can work out peace talks and hostage exchange.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
05-08-2016, 11:30 AM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2016 11:35 AM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
This sounds waaaaaaay too familiar.

Aaand I was right.
Dodgy

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
05-08-2016, 11:36 AM
Well that was fast.