Paris Museum caves to Islamic threats over art.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2015, 03:04 PM
RE: Paris Museum caves to Islamic threats over art.
(30-01-2015 12:45 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  Not that I'm a famous artist, but I'm having the same conundrum. I'm all for Draw Muhammed Day, because, well, fuck them.

Here's the thing: it's great to sit here and for me to say yes, fuck the threats, fuck those extremist ass clowns, I have the right to criticize and ridicule religion.

On the other hand, who's going to defend me personally? What's to stop some random Muslim with a chip on his shoulder from shanking me or making a homemade bomb?

I have until May to figure it out. But yes I support everyone who is making that art. I also understand that for me and other artists I know it's not an abstract concept I read about in the paper.

No offense. I respect all of you here. It's more real for me than text on a screen or on paper.

(Maybe I should start this in Personal Issues?)

Are you a large public structure? A celebrity of some sort? Do you live in an Islamic state?

If you've answered no to all of these, you'll be fine.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2015, 04:46 PM
(30-01-2015 12:45 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  Not that I'm a famous artist, but I'm having the same conundrum. I'm all for Draw Muhammed Day, because, well, fuck them.

Here's the thing: it's great to sit here and for me to say yes, fuck the threats, fuck those extremist ass clowns, I have the right to criticize and ridicule religion.

On the other hand, who's going to defend me personally? What's to stop some random Muslim with a chip on his shoulder from shanking me or making a homemade bomb?

I have until May to figure it out. But yes I support everyone who is making that art. I also understand that for me and other artists I know it's not an abstract concept I read about in the paper.

No offense. I respect all of you here. It's more real for me than text on a screen or on paper.

(Maybe I should start this in Personal Issues?)

Anyone who accuses some artist or venue for "being a coward" - need only step up - make their own offensive artwork and put it out for the world to see.....And take what comes without complaint.

If they're not willing to do that - then they're just displaying what's known as "internet testicles"......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
30-01-2015, 05:00 PM
(30-01-2015 04:46 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Anyone who accuses some artist or venue for "being a coward" - need only step up - make their own offensive artwork and put it out for the world to see.....And take what comes without complaint.

If they're not willing to do that - then they're just displaying what's known as "internet testicles"......

So... They can't complain even a little bit? Say someone starts sending them threatening letters or stalking their family? Can't complain... Drew a picture. Lol

In any case, I'm sure plenty of people, including myself DO post blasphemous media and messages on public forums and social media... Most just don't have the presence/celebrity to take the world stage and reach the masses.
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
30-01-2015, 05:06 PM
So because it's said on the internet it's not ok to express dissent towards caving to a terrorist threat? Dodgy

It sets a terrible precedence to give into their demands. I'd like to see artists standing together and producing "offensive" art and museums displaying it en masse.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
30-01-2015, 05:17 PM
(30-01-2015 05:06 PM)Nurse Wrote:  So because it's said on the internet it's not ok to express dissent towards caving to a terrorist threat? Dodgy

It sets a terrible precedence to give into their demands. I'd like to see artists standing together and producing "offensive" art and museums displaying it en masse.

I like how you are pro free speech, but you don't think that there will be to many dire consequences. I think educating them would be better.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
30-01-2015, 05:27 PM
(30-01-2015 05:17 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(30-01-2015 05:06 PM)Nurse Wrote:  So because it's said on the internet it's not ok to express dissent towards caving to a terrorist threat? Dodgy

I like how you are pro free speech, but you don't think that there will be to many dire consequences. I think educating them would be better.

Neville Chamerblain, is that you?!

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
[+] 3 users Like SunnyD1's post
30-01-2015, 05:31 PM
(30-01-2015 05:27 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  
(30-01-2015 05:17 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  I like how you are pro free speech, but you don't think that there will be to many dire consequences. I think educating them would be better.

Neville Chamerblain, is that you?!

So what do you want to kill the muslims then?

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
30-01-2015, 05:38 PM
(30-01-2015 05:31 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(30-01-2015 05:27 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Neville Chamerblain, is that you?!

So what do you want to kill the muslims then?

Why do you assume such a thing? You're insulting the majority of muslims who don't give a flying fuck about some painting that some radicals deem offensive to their religion.

The artist has the right to remove her painting, this may be offensive to nationalist and far right groups who may resort to violence, should the artist put the painting back up in order to prevent this violence? To please those who advocate free speech?

30-01-2015, 05:48 PM
(30-01-2015 05:38 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Why do you assume such a thing? You're insulting the majority of muslims who don't give a flying fuck about some painting that some radicals deem offensive to their religion.

Guessing at this point you are miffed. It was more a jab at the people who say kill all muslims, not muslims.

(30-01-2015 05:38 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  The artist has the right to remove her painting, this may be offensive to nationalist and far right groups who may resort to violence, should the artist put the painting back up in order to prevent this violence? To please those who advocate free speech?

No. If she wants to put it down she can.

30-01-2015, 05:54 PM
(30-01-2015 05:48 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(30-01-2015 05:38 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Why do you assume such a thing? You're insulting the majority of muslims who don't give a flying fuck about some painting that some radicals deem offensive to their religion.

Guessing at this point you are miffed. It was more a jab at the people who say kill all muslims, not muslims.

(30-01-2015 05:38 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  The artist has the right to remove her painting, this may be offensive to nationalist and far right groups who may resort to violence, should the artist put the painting back up in order to prevent this violence? To please those who advocate free speech?

No. If she wants to put it down she can.

Okay, let's try get this straight. Do you support the freedom to blaspheme even if it may result in violence on the behalf of whose religion is being insulted?